Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM
2daysoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

You know it really is a shame that they are not making this kit any longer....

I just got back from the the club having a succesfull maiden flight with my yak 54. A buddy of mine flew it first for me. The only issue was caused by me not re ataching the vent line to the muffler. About 3 minutes into the flight the engine quit and a verry nice dead stick landing was made. Problem solved and it was up again. The trim was a few clicks on aileron and one on the elevator and she was hands off. Stalls with a slight drop on the left wing. The OS 120 4 banger pulls it arround scale like. It has plenty of power for IMAC style flying.

I flew the second flight with a nice 3 point touch down after some more simple loops and rolls and a huge grin on my face. The plane set up nice on low rates and the CG is dead on for my taste at 5" from the LE, no adjusting for now.

Like I said, this plane is awesome!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
grandad1
My Feedback: (22)

2Daysoff i'm glade you had A good madden.I only had A fwe clicks and i had hands off too.The weather has been bad here in oklahoma and I havn't had A chance too fly mine again.But one of these days I will LOL.Anyway I was glade too hear you had A good madden and good luck next time too.

Joe
Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
2daysoff

Joe

we have had our fill of weather here in north texas as well. I made my flights today inbetween systems.. not idea weather... Since we had wind that was 15 MPH straight down the runway we decided to make a go of it. All the rain sux, but we have needed it and at least everything is nice and green this year.

I have about 2 weeks off starting next week and I hope to put some hours on this plane. Like I said before, its to bad that they dont have this kit any longer...
Old 05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
mikedeeney

Plum Crazy,

The OS 200 is big, it would be a nice size on the extreme upper end. At 34 oz it is only slightly (around 2-3 oz) heavier and around the same HP 2.9 and 2.8, as the Saito 180. They are the same price. Sometimes you can find the saito 180 for as low as $365. Beef up the plane and beefup the engine box(coat it with epoxy...) and you will be fine. These are about the same weight as 120 four stroke but with more power. I have the saito 180 in mine and love it. It will 3d great. You might look into putting the elevator servos in tail and battery in tail and 2-3 oz of lead weight and you will have a great 3d/imac plane. To hover and balance the plane tail heavy it is needed. With the 180, I can pull out of a hover and do an aileron roll and snap. I have unlimited vertical. I love it and fly it every chance I get. Took time off to fly yesterday and in blustery conditions it hung in there well.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Mike thanks for the info. Did you mount your servo's in the tail. Where did you balance the plane? Right side up or upside down? I already bought the engine. $370 shipped from tower. I plan on a apc 18-6 prop and 15% powermaster fuel? I'll try different props if groud clearance isn't a issue. I love my Saito's but my O.S. engines are very nice too. I hope this 200 is as smooth as the 70 and 91 four strokes.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
mikedeeney

I have not moved the servos to the tail yet. I plan on doing so. I was going to buy another plane and set it all up perfect with the servos in the tail and the battery in a compartment in the tail, but they are discontinued. So I will do it to this one. The problem is time. When I have time I rather be flying it than redo the servos.

My Yak balances around 5 inches back from the leading edge of the wing at the fusalage right side up, and checked at the wingtips right side up.

I am running a 17 x 8 APC prop and 15% fuel, it has more than enough pull and power. I want to try a APC 18 x 6W and 30% heli fuel and see how it does, not that it is lacking power. I did this with my extra 300 and funtana and noticed a big increase in power. I haven't gone to the Heli fuel on this one yet, because I use about a gallon in a day of flying. $13 versus $20 a gallon.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
RR24

Any more of these birds in the air yet?

Wes
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Plum Crazy

I'm still waiting for a few items from tower and they should be here today. Like a large capacity stopper and fuel lines for they tank,plus the stuff for on board glow. But I have the engine mounted and all the servo's installed. All i need is the stuff above and do the final adjustments and balance.

Anybody have any flight reports that they could share?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
mikedeeney

I have a little over 45 Flights on this Yak. What would you like to Know? Is is very stable. Takes off great, lands great, Snaps well, loops well. Knife edge wants to roll out. Needs to be tail heavy to hover good.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 AM
kochj

Mike,
what do you mean when you saw it rolls out on knife edge??
Have you tried to do some aileron diff.?
Would that help?
When you changed the C.G to the rear, did it help or worsen the condition??

Jusitin
Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
mikedeeney

I believe that it wants to roll out flat on knife edge because of the size of the small vertical stabilizer compared to the large rudder. It is not pitching to the canopy or the gear. I have heard this from other owners also. The plane being tail heavy or not it seems to be the same. My extra 300 is rudder only knife edge loops and the yak needs aileron input. Have you flown yours yet? Have you not noticed the same?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
kochj

I have not had time to even start to work on it......

I would think that you could try and do some rudder to aileron mixing .... that may help the condition....

I will be placing my zdz 40 engine in it..... I am hoping for foamy power.... I have a 1.20 ax with a tuned pipe but that was Just, enough for my funtana 100X so this plane needs more...

The 40 is only a few oz more than a 26cc so I think I will be okay...

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
mikedeeney

The 40 gasser will be insane(great). I have the saito 180 and a 17 x 8 prop and 15% and it great. Easily powers out of a hover while doing an aileron roll. If I go to a 18x 4W apc it will be better for 3D. Also 30% heli fuel will give me 20% more of what I have now. HEHE
Just found out today that the tail wheel wire is a little weak. Need to replace, I think with a Sullivan tailwheel. After 48 flights it snapped off(the wire). Great day of flying today.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
grandad1
My Feedback: (22)

Kochj I have A 26 Toro in mine and it wasn't enought motor for the wind we had Sunday.It flew ok but it was haveing problem going into the wind and not enought power too loop into the wind.Going with the wind I could loop ok.I had problem landing it the first time Sunday i was going too slow but it fell on the grass in A 3 point ok LOL no problem.The next 2 times i flew it I landed under power and did ok.So what I am saying it the 26 isn't big enought motor and the 40 would do better.I am going too try some differnt props and see if that will help befor I pull the motor.I was running A 17/6 APC then I tryed A 16/8 airmaster I am going too try A 16/6 wood next and I'll let you know how it goes.

Joe
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Here is mine,ready to fly...have flown it a couple of times witha "Sick' Mag 120 FS..Have a Saito 120 "Golden Knight" in it now...as soon as it stops raining, and the wind is less than a gale force,then will test fly it... The weather here is forecast for rain and wind, for the next 7 days.....might get to fly it in July...just maybe..Mother nature hasn't been to kind to us lately..The decals are by 'Callie Graphics"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27777.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	964760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66950.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	964761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66811.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	964762  
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 PM
nrthwing

I have one of these NIB if anyone is interested. Lost interest, no time to build it.

Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM
kochj

Mike...
I have used some tailwheel/rudder sets off the GP cap 232..... It is cheap and works great......
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLKN8&P=Z

grandD....
I know that there is a great range of performance between the 26cc gas engines...
I think the Toro would be in the middle of the performance curve...... The type of exhuast can really make a difference is those little buggers.....

Prop selection can as well.............
QQ recomends the APC 18X6 Wide prop for the Evolution 26cc with a wrap around muffler... Pulled the 73" 11 3/4 pound yak pretty well....
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFGV6&P=7

I am a big advocate of tuned pipes of 2-strokes.. You can get a evolution tuned pipe and header for 80 bucks provides smooth power and doesn't break the bank.....
not sure what the size is of the exhuast port is on that engine..... guess you could call up horrizon or post it.....

I have been messing arouind with my GP reactor now, and have a 2-stroke with a pipe...... But it is nitro.... TO be honest, I am tired of Nitro engines period!.....
I wish I had all gas, but then you can't run the buggies, and 1/10th trucks, and run some of the smaller planes..... The smaller nitro two strokes tend to be
way more puttsy than say a gas 26cc on a pipe is..... It is mainly the mess of the fuel always all over the place.......
In the cowl, coming out the carb, when you blip the throttle. ect ect...... Buggin me right now......

I will probly use the stock muffler on the yak with the 40cc/// Depends on who noisy it is....... I may switch to a pipe if it is too load....
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU TURN OUT ON THE TAIL WHEEL AND THE ENGINES....

Justin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89028.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	968665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85632.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	968666  
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM
mikedeeney

Justin,

Thank you, the tail wheel suggestion would have been right on the money (1.89), but it was too late for me. I adjusted the tail wheel last week and it came off in my hand. I immediately replaced it with a sullivan tail wheel assembly that bolted right on after I dremel cut the old assembly off of the rudder. It works great, it's the same style I use on my 30% cap 232. I works so good that I actually have a little more spring and response than the stock wire. It's a softer spring and bounce and no load on the rudder.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

Finally had a chance to re-maiden my Yak with the Brillelli 26SSR and wow......what a world of difference over the Saito FA-125. The Brillelli seems to be perfect for the plane. Fits in the cowl and the plane now has unlimited vertical. I would highly recommend the brillelli or any 26 cc gasser for this plane. CG was a little of an issue, but just required me to mount my batteries aft of the wing. Like others, I agree that it is a shame that GP killed the produciton of the plane.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
kochj

I saw another one of the yaks on tower the other day..... almost bought it, by the time I sat around thinking about it, it was sold.......

Ohh welll....

Also, I believe that some of the roll coupling is attributed to the size of the 9" cowl and the reduced efficiency apon the the rear deflection surfaces........
This was well documented on a Cox Pitts M12 that was converted to electric......

If you compare some of the props being run on this it leavs only 2"-2.5" or prop clearance on either side of the cowl.....

The COx had a 12" cowl and head had a 24" prop and still had issues........
He solved the issue by bring the cowl forward and creadted a gap between the cowl and the plane......

The plane flew much better than prior to this and had less coupling and greater control....

I believe that I will have a better flying plane by using the 20X8 prop on this plane......

Looking forward to getting it airborn....

Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Plum Crazy

Maidened my Yak today and then got in four more flights. With the O.S. 200 four stroke and a 18-6 wide apc prop it has unlimited verticle while puffing a large amount of exhaust smoke. The plane flys very light. I did notice the roll coupling but its not that hard to hold it straight while in knife edge and took only a small amount of down elevator to fly inverted. I'm going to go back slightly on the cg and see how it flys there. Cant wait to fly it again!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
mikedeeney

OK, It's almost July, Have you flown it yet with the saito 120? I have a Saito 180 on mine and it Flys it really well for normal flying and 3D. Interested in how yours flys with the 120. I have one spare, Saito 120S, with smoke on it. I did not think it would pull hard for 3D so I got the 180. It would be nice to know how you like it. Drop me a note about flight experiences. Mostly can it hover.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
mikedeeney

Good to hear about your maiden going well. These birds fly very well with the exception of coupling in KnifeEdge. It takes a little stick work but they can do a large and beautiful knifeedge loop. Darn Pretty.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

I originally had a Saito 125 in mine and it was underpowered. Very limited vertical and was not capable of 3D. Very happy with Brillelli 26 cc gasser. I defenetly needs more than a 125 for 3D flying.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
mikedeeney

Thank you for the reply MMontella. I read your info about the 125 and was curious about the beefier 120. I know the specs say they have the same hp 2.2 and the 125 is 10oz lighter. But after using both I think the 120 throws the bigger prop easier. I'm sure the Brillelli 26 and 40 would be enough to 3D. Not all gasser would be as light and powerful. Everyhting I have seen and read about them says they are awesome engines. I have seen them in QQ and EF 74 inch Yaks and they are great. I went with the saito 180 four stroke after hearing other members saying that os 120 fs , the Mag 120 and other four strokes could not hover. I have the saito 125 f/s in my funtana 90 and it 3Ds well, but it is lighter than the Yak. I wanted to hear from someone who used the saito 120 because it is the same case size as the 180 although not as powerful. The 180 powers the yak and 3Ds the yak with spare power. The size of the 125 is smaller than the 120. I have the goldberg extra 300 68inch wing span and it is heavier than the yak and the 120 flies it marginal 3D but with the right apc prop and 30% fuel it will hover but it won't pull out with ease. I love the 180 on this plane but was curious about the saito 120s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.