Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Yak?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Yak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

ORIGINAL: bgw45

I really don.t know this but..... they don't have corks

There was a time, long ago, that Iwould have enjoyed the search for just the right cork. Today, I'll take your word for it.

RJ

Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 AM
rowdyjoe

ORIGINAL: RCplanman

RowdyJoe, What I did once on a G-23 was use a short piece maybe [I don't remember the size ] 3/4 " plastic hose on a short stck.
Same idea only the cork could crumble a bit===not good for the carb.

Yep, a real "cork" is not what I'm looking for. Ihad a rubber stopper in mind.
Maybe a baloon stretched over the stack opening would work?

RJ

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
rowdyjoe

First flight was today and she was flying well. The engine started easy, to my surprise, and ran great until it died when Ithrottled down to split S down to a lower altitude. We had a fairly strong wind out of the south today. My luck didn't hold. Icame out of the maneuver headed into the wind and realized she was dead. Ididn't think I had enough altitude to make any turns toward the runway but, Ihad too much altitude to drop her down to the runway. So, Islowed her down hoping the wind would allow her to settle in short of the rough stuff off the south end of the runway. She held a good glide speed but, the wind chose to let up a bit and she landed longer than Iwanted. If the ground had been smoother there wouldn't have been much of a problem because the touch down looked good. However, the ruts and cracks grabbed the gear and ripped it out and the impact broke everything forward of the wings off the plane. The only thing holding the engine, etc. on were the control rods for the throttle and choke. So, Ineed a new fuselage and will commence shopping as soon as I finish this post. Wings and tail feathers came out in one piece. I have on small area to patch on the underside of one wing where the rear end of a wheel pant poked through when it broke loose. Easy fix.

The flight was going great and I had her up for 5 or 6 min. before she died. It was long enough to tell that she is a very sweet flying machine. She had plenty of power and performed all maneuvers well but, in the vertical she yawed to the left hands-off. She needed a washer or two under the left side motor mount to give her more right thrust. When inverted she needed a bit more forward stick than Ilike but, getting the balance just right is part of setting up a new plane. A couple of tweaks and she would have been good to go.

RJ
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RJ... sorry to hear about the mishap. Dead stick on a new plane one is not yet familiar with is hard. Good to hear you are resigned to rebuild and hope that goes well.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
jknox

Sorry to hear that. A decent landing can be a crapshoot when you have to deadstick in. I've got 7 or 8 flights on mine now and have noted the same left drift in the verticals. Mine also tucks toward the belly in knife edge, but overallis quite well mannered, and floats in nicely on the landings. Hope you get her back in the air soon.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:01 PM
rowdyjoe

Thanks for the sympathy. IWILLrebuild it. Horizon has the fuselage so, it's just a matter of getting it here and installing everything. Don't know if I'll reinstall the same engine or not. I have a a couple of ideas to try on it to keep it from dieing in flight but, don't know if I want to experiment with this bird ...again. If I had just given it a couple of clicks of throttle after takeoff it probably wouldn't have died. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 they say.

Try installing some thin shims behind the mount. A little up and right should improve your tracking issues. It's a trial and error thing but, if you leave the cowl off while testing it will make it easier to add or subtract shims.
If Iremount this engine, Iplan to add a washer to each left side standoff to point the engine a bit more to the right. We'll see how it all works out when Iget her rebuilt.

RJ
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

First flight was today and she was flying well. The engine started easy, to my surprise, and ran great until it died when Ithrottled down to split S down to a lower altitude. We had a fairly strong wind out of the south today. My luck didn't hold. Icame out of the maneuver headed into the wind and realized she was dead. Ididn't think I had enough altitude to make any turns toward the runway but, Ihad too much altitude to drop her down to the runway. So, Islowed her down hoping the wind would allow her to settle in short of the rough stuff off the south end of the runway. She held a good glide speed but, the wind chose to let up a bit and she landed longer than Iwanted. If the ground had been smoother there wouldn't have been much of a problem because the touch down looked good. However, the ruts and cracks grabbed the gear and ripped it out and the impact broke everything forward of the wings off the plane. The only thing holding the engine, etc. on were the control rods for the throttle and choke. So, Ineed a new fuselage and will commence shopping as soon as I finish this post. Wings and tail feathers came out in one piece. I have on small area to patch on the underside of one wing where the rear end of a wheel pant poked through when it broke loose. Easy fix.

The flight was going great and I had her up for 5 or 6 min. before she died. It was long enough to tell that she is a very sweet flying machine. She had plenty of power and performed all maneuvers well but, in the vertical she yawed to the left hands-off. She needed a washer or two under the left side motor mount to give her more right thrust. When inverted she needed a bit more forward stick than Ilike but, getting the balance just right is part of setting up a new plane. A couple of tweaks and she would have been good to go.

RJ
So sorry to hear of the mishap, and I'm glad to see you will rebuild. I would caution against doing a lot more right engine offset beyond the factory version. It's an aerobatic plane and should fly as neutral as you can reaonably get it, since it will be in various flight attitudes.

The tendancy for planes to veer left on take off and in verticals comes from the fact you have the circular prop wash hitting the left side of the vertical stab with more force than the right side, pushing the nose left. This is most pronounced during conditions of full power at low airspeed. It is not so prominent at "cruising" speed where there is more equal air movement on both sides of the v stab. The usual remedy at low speed full throttle, is to engage the rudder stick to keep things as straight as you want them.

Keep em flying!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
rowdyjoe

RCVFR,
Thanks for the advice and I'll be careful not get too heavy handed with the offset. My left yaw issue goes beyond "P"factor and torque and really does need a small correction. I'll fly the rebuilt version before Iapply any correction and only enough to keep her within natural limits.
There are at least 3 club members (other than me) who own and fly this particular version of the Yak 54 and 2 of the three have told me the firewall isn't positioned for the normal 3 deg. of offset. Both of them had to add a bit of right offset. However, I wanted to fly mine first to make sure the issue hadn't been corrected at the factory. It appears that it hasn't.

RJ
Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 AM
RCVFR

I doubt the replacement fuse will have any different offset. I'm on my third one (long story), and none have had offset.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM
rowdyjoe

That's unusual for an ARF. I have the Seagull Spacewalker II120 and it appears to have the correct offset. It needs correction but, it's pulling toward the gear rather than in yaw. Wonder why the Yak is the exception?

RJ
Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
RCVFR

I dunno why the YAK isn't offset. Prior to the YAK, I flew the Seagull Edge 540, 60/90 size, and that one did have right thrust offset built in. It's rare to see a model without it.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: jknox

Sorry to hear that. A decent landing can be a crapshoot when you have to deadstick in. I've got 7 or 8 flights on mine now and have noted the same left drift in the verticals. Mine also tucks toward the belly in knife edge, but overallis quite well mannered, and floats in nicely on the landings. Hope you get her back in the air soon.

Adding some right thrust and moving your CG a little forward will fix these.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On both of the Seagull planes I've built... the AT-6 120 and the Spacewalker II 120 there are no thrust built into the firewall nor do the instructions say a word about engine thrust. Evidently that is something left to the builder to decide and do with the engine mount if it is desired.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 PM
rowdyjoe

Wow, now it's getting really strange. Wonder why they would do it on some planes and not on others?

RJ
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

RowdyJoe, they may not all have been built in the same place.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
rowdyjoe

Are you saying Seagull may have more than one factory?

RJ
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
rowdyjoe

Ugh ! Just remembered that the tail feathers are epoxied on the fuselage so, I'll have to spend a bit more money to get it flying again.
I may also opt for a new engine. I don't trust this little guy anymore.

RJ
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

RowdJoe, I've read where over there [ like here ]they may have subcontractors. How knows.?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
navypoe1

I have this plane with about 10 or so flights on it now. Maiden flight was last week. I love this plane. I have a Supertigre S2000/25cc swinging a APC 18X6W and has unlimited vertical. It will go vetical just over half throttle. Had to add 4 oz tail weight and seems to be about balanced perfect.  Ordered a CF landing gear so maybe when i get that I can drop some of the added tail weight.  The plane lands as easy as a trainer.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM
rowdyjoe

I agree. It is a great flying plane. Wish I hadn't wrecked it.

If your CF gear is lighter than the aluminum gear, you may have to add weight to the tail. The gear sits forward of the CG (eg. wing tube).

How much fuel does that engine burn per flight? I need to replace the engine in my bird with something more reliable. My first choice would be a DLE 20cc but, the ST2300 looks very good for the price.

RJ
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM
RCVFR

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

How much fuel does that engine burn per flight? I need to replace the engine in my bird with something more reliable. My first choice would be a DLE 20cc but, the ST2300 looks very good for the price.

RJ
RJ, if you are contemplating the ST2300, I can recommend it. Very sweet engine: remember to use 5% or less nitro, and if using a Pitts type muffler, plug one of the exhaust tubes to maintain adequate pressure to the fuel tank. It may benefit from an "F" type plug, as well if you experience any midrange issues..

I ran one on a CMP Hellcat a few years ago, the engine was far more power than needed, but I needed the weight up front. Half throttle takeoffs and flying were the norm. Prime it and one flip starts, every time. The very first start on mine, I didn't quite prime right, so it took 2 flips. Thereafter, 1 flip was typical.

I have since decided on going gas on that size power, so I sold mine a few years ago. But, I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who has need of one.

I would pick the DLE 20, but that's just me.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM
rowdyjoe

Thanks for the tips and info on the ST2300. Iconsidered it for about 10 min. but, decided against it after comparing the weight of it with the DLE 20cc. The DLE wins hands down.
The little RCGF 20cc side carb Ihad on my Yak was just about perfect in weight. Very little weight needed to balance it.

RJ
Old 02-04-2012, 10:21 PM
navypoe1

RJ,

If the gear is forward of the CG would that not make it more tail heavy when I remove the heavier gear? I am removing weight from the front. I balanced mine about 1/4" behind the wingtube. Maybe I have it backwards in my head. I have a 20oz tank and after 9 minutes I have a 1/4 tank or more left. It does not "drink" the fuel like people say and I am using a perry carb. I found a website and got 5% omega dilivered to my door for $16.07 a gallon. It definitly uses more fuel than my .61 ST but its worth it. The big ST's have awesome power. Also got a pitts muffler and had to block off one of tubes for muffler pressure but it did not effect the performance of the engine whats so ever.

Steven
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 PM
navypoe1

O yeah...I also run the OS F plug.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
rowdyjoe

Steven,
DUH ! My sincere appology. You are certainly right. My brain is scrambled from fighting a 26cc engine all evening.
I had a combination fuel and electrical problem but, didn't realize Ihad the electrical problem until Ihad done everything Icould to the fuel system and carb, twice, to get it to feed propery. THENI find out that the plug is hitting very intermittently ...all due to a poor connection between the top of the plug and the spring inside the cap. That explains why it would flood but, not fire.

The ST2300 is very tempting but, the mount for it is $42 and the engine is $169 from Tower. So, by the time Ibuy the engine and mount I've got almost as much in it as the DLE ....$250 shipped from TBM.
With an engine that big I wouldn't think a 20 oz. tank would last 4 or 5 min. max. You said you were running a Perry carb. Itake it you had to change the carb to get that kind of efficiency?

Garry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.