Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Yak?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Yak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
navypoe1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

Garry,

Not sure if the carb is what gives me more efficiency. Its kinda weird cause the stock carb has a spacer that fits around the carb so it will fit into the crankcase. Its the exact same carb that goes on the ST .61 and the intake whole just looked way to small for that big engine. Thats why I got the perry. I got rid of the spacer and the intake through the carb looks like its 30% bigger. I thought, man this is gonna suck the gas now but flew all day yesterday and was getting 11 minute flights with plenty of fuel to spare. I think the next big engine I get will be gas. Its just that I have used glow my whole life and got really good a tuning them and kinda scared to start from scratch when I get a Gas.

Steven
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
navypoe1

One other thing about this plane. This is a quote from the discription....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

"One of model aviation's hottest planes is now available as a mid-size gas performer from Seagull Models. The Yak 54 ARF features a dazzling trim scheme and delivers outstanding 3D and precision capabilities. Constructed from lightweight laser-cut balsa and plywood parts, it is also covered in vibrant Hangar 9® UltraCote®, with carbon fiber pushrods, a 2-piece plug-in wing and a fiberglass cowl and wheel pants adding to the quality design."

Mine did not come with CF pushrods.  Don't know.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Yep, mine too. Metal push rods throughout. I'm not complaining though because I need the extra weight behind the CG anyway.

RJ
Old 02-11-2012, 08:11 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I just ordered the black and white yak and plan on using a 20 CC aerovate gasser, probably close to a DLE 20.
This is for sport flying and some aerobatics. Does anybody fly the same combination?
Just wondering how it performs. And I see some people have problems with the CG being aft, would moving the tail servos towards the front be enough? I do not like to add any weight, since it does not have a lot of power and I really like to stick with this engine
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
rowdyjoe

Who made your plane?

RJ
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 PM
OliverJacob

Seagull YAK 90 size

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-schemeSEA5100

Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 PM
rowdyjoe

OK, you had me confused when you said you bought the "black and white" version.

Ihad an RCGF 20cc mounted on mine before it crashed on the first flight. CG was just about perfect with that engine. It was an older V1 with side mounted carb. Before the engine died causing a botched dead-stick landing, I flew it for about 5 or 6 min. and it had plenty of power with a 15X8 wooden prop. When Irebuild it, I plan to go with the same size engine.

One of our club members has the same bird with a DLE20cc on it and it flies very well ....more than enough power. The DLEclaims their 20cc engine develops 2.5 hp and I think that's true.

We have another club member who flies the same bird with a .120 4 stroke and it flies 3D just fine.

I think you've made a good choice in engine size for this plane.

RJ
Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 PM
OliverJacob

Yes, I meant black and yellow
In some other forums people swore you had to have at least 26CCs, or better a DLE 30.
Thanks for the info, I will start with my 20CC and upgrade when needed.
I like the color scheme, so I had to have it...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 PM
rowdyjoe

If you look back through this thread, you'll find there are many folks flyiing this bird with a 20cc engine. Some have gone with a 26cc and claimed "rocket like" performance. Most 26cc gas engines make about 2.6hp and the DLE20cc makes 2.5 so, cost is about the same but, the DLEis smaller and lighter.

RJ
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 PM
OliverJacob

I have read about this on a different website. Someone had to put a pound (!) of weight in the nose to get the CG centered and may others found a 20CC to weak for this. I did not yet read through the whole thread, just want to get someones opinion and experience. I think I made a good choice with this plane, A MAIN HOBBIES had it for $189, free shipping.
After my order went through, it showed 'out of stock', so it seems I got the last one...
Up here the winter just sucks, too much wind and too cold and it's rather mild this year.
Greeting to Texas, you guys are lucky to get to fly whenever you want. A few years ago I stayed in De Soto for a few months and liked to go to the stockyards in Fort Worth.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 PM
rowdyjoe

There's been quite a bit of time spent discussing the CG on this bird. The concensus seemed to be about 1/8 to 1/4 inch behind the center of the spar. Ibalanced mine in the center of the spar and had to add a 1/2 oz of weight to the tail to get it to balance the way Ilike it. Ilike just a touch of nose heavy ....so that it needs just a tiny bit of forward stick when inverted.
I also found that there was no right and down offset on the firewall. Had my plane survived, Iwas going to add a washer to the two left side mounting posts to give it some right thrust. In a vertical climb she pulled to the left pretty hard but, otherwise flew well. i was very sad when it crashed.

Yep, we manage to get at least one day a week with decent to good flying weather. This has been a mild winter for us so far. We're currently having a winter "weekend". It will dip into the mid 20's tonight and the high tomorrow will be in the low 40's with winds gusting to 30mph so, I won't be going to the field.

Good luck with your plane. I think you'll like it. It's not going to be a barn-burner for speed but, she'll have plenty of pull for aerobatics.

If you get down this way again be sure to let me know. You now have a standing invitation to our new club field. It's beautiful.

RJ
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM
OliverJacob

Thanks so much. I used to travel a lot for business, but kind of settled now.
But you never know when an opportunity comes up, I'd be there to fly in a heartbeat

Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a ten pound plusbird, it needs at good 20cc petrol peaked for performance for any 3d and good vertival lines, and at that will have limited pullout if any from hover.

I had to spin a 17 6 xoar at 8000 rpm plus for good performance, mine was about 10.5 lb dry.

I will be honest and say im not used to large two stroke glows, maybe with a smaller prop spinning higher revs you can get the same performance? but for 3d its low down grunt you need.

Had a asp 120 glow four stroke on it before spinning a 166 master airscrew at less than 7500 rpm and the model was crap that way. could not even manage a huge loop without running out of steam. Flew round in circles ok and was not dangerously underpowered but had no vertical.

If you fitted a 120 two stroke glow and somehow manage to balance without adding nose weight then you could end up with a under ten pound model and good performance but with my rcg 20 gas engine and ignition and two batterys up front I found mine to be balanced.
In other words mine needed the nose weight a heavier than glow two strokeengine gives.

Have to say the rcg is the same brand as rcgf and the aerovate and it is a good engine. I have the reed induction beam mount (dle 20 copy) and is pretty powerfull and easy tuned/reliable.

maybe my model was unusually tail heavy,
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

it's really a sport plane

you'd be better off with many other airframes that might cost a littel more.. like for example the peak 30cc yak is superior . and the list goes on

but hey it does look nice
Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 PM
lopflyers

Oh no, I just got mine today, per specifications a installed a Saito 100, so by reading here I think is underpowered..
I'm maiden her tues, will let you guys now. I'm not into 3D
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading not all but most of the posts it appears that the airframe has incidence problems. It's time to put the meter to this machine and find out why it is flying so erratically. The other thing I noticed was many were having problems with tip stalling. Could it be the wing panels are not identical. Again your incidence meter can determine this. Last but not least is the the CG location which IMO should be set at 27% for initial test flights. There are numerous web sites that provide CG calculators and all you have to do is plug in the numbers.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Slow and Steady

I had the blue and yellow version and flew it with a 91 FX two stroke. It was great as a sport plane but the 91 did not have straight up vertical. I would think the DLE 20 would be plenty of power with the right prop. Incidentally, the CG earlier in this thread was pegged at the back side of the wing tube, which worked for me and was achieved with the battery placed just aft of the wing tube. The CG on the manual was off and deadly. Horizon came out with a revised CG, which was posted on their site, but I think that was off also.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flycatch... your thoughts on incidence issues are interesting. A few years ago, I finished a long thirty year build of a .60 size P-51. The wing configuration provided for the back of the wing slipping between the P-51 radiator scoop with a centering device where it was trapped with the wing bolts then being in the front of the wing. On its maiden flight, I was careful to get plenty of ground speed for take off and it required a lot of elevator to rotate airborne. It flew fairly well and trimmed out with a few clicks of trim. I was concerned that it was nose heavy for the difficulty getting it airborne and re-checked the balance but found it where it was prescribed to be.

The second time out and prior to flight I commented to the guys at the field about needing a lot of elevator to lift off but to my great surprise, on this day it lifted off easily and in fact on its own before I thought it had enough speed. Sorting this out, it became clear that only a slight bit of difference in tightening the wing bolts was the player. It was a great lessen in how subtle the incidence of the wing is to flight trim.

Does your Yak have significant elevator trim for full powered flight? How about when power is off, is the glide slope proper for landing?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

After reading not all but most of the posts it appears that the airframe has incidence problems. It's time to put the meter to this machine and find out why it is flying so erratically. The other thing I noticed was many were having problems with tip stalling. Could it be the wing panels are not identical. Again your incidence meter can determine this. Last but not least is the the CG location which IMO should be set at 27% for initial test flights. There are numerous web sites that provide CG calculators and all you have to do is plug in the numbers.
I have flown three of them. None had incidence problems. I have flown balance at the front of the wing tube and at the back; the back location is best, in my view. "Erratic flying" could come from poor set up of the large control surfaces. Flying "normal" flight at high rates is not a good idea.

This is a very good plane, however there are people in the world who can screw up anything.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

We have had four of the yellow/black Yaks at our club field. Two with DLE 20s, one with a Zenoa 26 and one with a DLE 30. No incidence issujes. The two with DLE 20s flew with lighter wing loading and were more aerobatic. The 20s had unlimited vertical and landed more like an aerobat ( with more forgiving control) than heavier wing loaded planes. True, the higher/heavier wing loaded planes penetrated better, but they were less aerobatic.

I lost mine due to dumb thumbs and over confidence coupled with poor vision. I have decided to move on to another airframe. I don't want a profile and am still looking for an airframe with the right weight, control surfaces and wing area to meet my needs. Still haven't found the one.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
navypoe1

CF gear and it dropped 4 5/8 oz. Not bad. $34 delivered and it fits perfect and looks great.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM
lopflyers

Where did you buy from?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
navypoe1

Ebay Item #220945622061...They are from China but they are totally legit. They are the real deal. I was a little sceptical at first but they are very nice and it came with a USPS tracking # and I had them in 10 days.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
navypoe1

Lopflyers,

They are not predrilled but took me like an hour to get them fixed up.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
lopflyers

Yipiiii, thx. Im going x them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.