Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig's new Waco SRE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig's new Waco SRE

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig's new Waco SRE

Scott,

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
kvlasblom

Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 PM
photo1

Hey Morman Mike. It may be $40 for you but here in New Zealand the price is $84 hence the hesitation. Still it will be worth it if it lasts but I didn't want to spend that sort of money on a failure.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

sseward,
In my considerable experience with the SIG Waco SRE model, my opinion is that the OS 1.20III is likely a bit too much engine for the airplane. It's large and relatively heavy and probably won't fit all that well in the cowling. In terms of power, you have to keep in mind that MormonMike lives and flies in an area of the U.S. that's at 4500'. This means that his engine does not develop all of it's potential horsepower due to lack of air. That's the reason he went with a 1.20 for his model and that makes sense. But in your case, believe me, the Saito 1.00 four-stroke will power the airplane very nicely, with very good power margins.

Scott @ SIG
Scott,

Thanks....just input I was looking for, though not the answer I hoped for! The problem is that I have an OS120 available, so I was looking for a plane to use it in. Looks like my current best candidate is a GP Super Stearman. I like the SRE tremendously, so I have to decide ifI want to get it AND a new Satio!

Steve
Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM
photo1

Thanks Scott. I am pleased to see that you have had great success with your exhaust installation. This makes me feel a lot better about spending $84. I will be installing my exhaust exactly as you have. I think that your assembly manual would have to be the best I have ever received with any model & I sense your frustration when people ask for verification of some points. Remember though that you have lived with the Waco for some time but for us this is the only way that we can verify that changes or improvements have not been necessary with time. Thanks for the great model which I hope to be flying very soon.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
maynardrupp

My first Saito flex pipe broke near the engine and on the first engine run. I tried all kinds of repairs to no avail. My Saito 100 really vibrated when it was new. I would suggest breaking the engine in off the airplane. My second flex pipe is still OK after about 50 flights. I did wrap a strip of soft aluminum around the center of the pipe and anchored that to an engine mount bolt. I wanted to dampen the harmonic vibration that I could see the flex pipe doing while the engine is running. So far all is great. I also put a 3/32" shim under the back edge of my landing gear where it bolts to the fuselage. I then re-drilled the aft brace holes. The net result is moving the wheel axle forward about 1/2". This has ended my roll over problems. I still MUST hold full up elevator for all ground operations. I ease the up elevator off just before the airplane lifts off. If I try to ease it sooner the SRE tries to nose over. The landing gear is very close to the CG. I make very sure that my wheels are always free to turn. I have installed harder tires that are 1/4" larger in OD.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
photo1

Thanks Maynardrupp for your comments. I have run my motor in but I think that the extra support could be a good idea. I am amazed by the different experiences that are reported here & sometimes you would think that people were talking about different models entirely. I can see that my first flight is going to be a real eye opener. How will my Waco perform I wonder.

Scott why do you think that you didn't have problems - was your motor well run in?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM
S. Christensen

Photo1,

"Scott why do you think that you didn't have problems - was your motor well run in?"
[/quote]

I don't know, it's probably a miracle. And of course I break-in any new engine on the bench. I believe that's why wrote that recommendation in the manual.
Scott @ SIG
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
skylarkmk1

All,

For those of you looking where to find Plans, Kits, ARFs and Documentation Sources, Chris has informed me that the House of Moy site http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ has been updated with the latest list, which has grown to 6 pages. He has also posted my list of instruments for a 1930s Waco Oval Style Instrument Panel using ProPagTeam Instruments http://www.propagteam.cz/ .

In Skylarks Hanger I have added a CD of Waco SREs with about 150 photos of NC 58785 (Yellow with Green trim) with exterior, interior and close up photos. The CD also has about 20 photos of NC 1252W (SIGs proto type, Yellow with Black trim) and a walk around (8 photos) of NC 20961 (red with Dark Red trim). These photos were taken during the 2008 American Waco Club Fly In at Creve Coeur Airport this summer. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43378.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1043723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39315.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1043724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73691.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1043725  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
kvlasblom

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

kvlasblom,
The information you asked for is as follows:
Incidence - Top Wing -1 deg.
Bottom Wing 0 deg.
Horizontal Stabilizer 0 deg.
Thrust Right Thrust 2 deg.
Down Thrust 2 deg.
Control Movemnts (see Silver Kiwi's post below - these are correct)

Scott, I have a question. Is that 1 degree for the top wings measured for the straight line of the bottom of the wing, or the result you get when you use a Robart incidence meter? If you use one of those, you get a higher reading because the leading edge then sits higher. I hope you understand my question, if not I can make a photo.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:42 PM
maynardrupp

Don't get worried about flying your Waco. It flies like a dream. I set mine up exactly like the book. My first flight needed no trim for straight and leval at 1/2 power. You will need FULL UP elevator at all times during taxi and takeoff until just before liftoff. You will also need full up after a 3 point touchdown. I try not to land fast, (wheel landing), as I am afraid I am asking for another rollover. Don't release the full up until the plane is stopped. The only other issue we had was flap/elevator bias. You will need a little down elevator with part flaps and quite a bit more with full flaps. The values that work perfect on my Spectrum DX-7 transmitter are down 30 at mid flap and down 60 at full flap. These values are on the (flap sys. ) page. With those values I have no pitch change at all when the flaps are lowered. Make sure your wheels roll freely and the axle does'nt pinch the wheel when the plane is pushed down. I read an article about that and it sure is true. I put several washers between the gear leg and the inner wheel collar. Good luck. You will love to fly the SRE.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
S. Christensen

kvlasblom,
The minus 1 degree refers to the centerline of the airfoil and yes, this can be detemined with a Robart incidence meter.
Scott @ SIG
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
photo1

ORIGINAL: maynardrupp

Don't get worried about flying your Waco. It flies like a dream. I set mine up exactly like the book. My first flight needed no trim for straight and leval at 1/2 power. You will need FULL UP elevator at all times during taxi and takeoff until just before liftoff. You will also need full up after a 3 point touchdown. I try not to land fast, (wheel landing), as I am afraid I am asking for another rollover. Don't release the full up until the plane is stopped. The only other issue we had was flap/elevator bias. You will need a little down elevator with part flaps and quite a bit more with full flaps. The values that work perfect on my Spectrum DX-7 transmitter are down 30 at mid flap and down 60 at full flap. These values are on the (flap sys. ) page. With those values I have no pitch change at all when the flaps are lowered. Make sure your wheels roll freely and the axle does'nt pinch the wheel when the plane is pushed down. I read an article about that and it sure is true. I put several washers between the gear leg and the inner wheel collar. Good luck. You will love to fly the SRE.
Thanks for your advice. I can't say that I am worried at all but the more setup I can do before the maiden flight the easier it will be. I know what you mean about keeping up elevator on while moving on the ground, I have another model that behaves in the same way & I have trouble steering it as well because the tail wheel keeps bouncing off the ground.
I was going to use one of the variable controls on the side of my JR 9x/Spectrum so that I could have variable flap instead of two position but at the moment I can't see that I can put in a flap/elevator mix with this setup.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 AM
kvlasblom

Thanks Scott, that explains it.
And it's -1 degree; I read it wrong!!
Thanks for saying that again!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 AM
maynardrupp

You really don't need variable flaps on this model. If I am landing in lighter wind, I use full flaps. If it is breezy I leave them up. I have made 1/2 flap landings, but I really don't see any difference. In fact, the only difference I see between full and no flaps is that full flaps allow a steper approach. I see no difference in the distance used, once you start the flare, between flaps and no flaps. They really seem big but arent that affective. Now that I have the elevator bias correct, I can't tell, (in flight), if the flaps are up or down.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
silver.kiwi

Hi Guys,
Allow me a few thoughts about some of the discussion concerning flying this model. It is a tail dragger after all and as such all of the things that apply to the full scale airplane apply here as well. For instance, every pilot is always taught to ALWAYS hold full up elevator while taxiing to preclude nose-overs. Regarding the use of flaps, always remember this little learning tool. "Flaps Up / Nose Up......Flaps Down / Nose Down". We RC pilots make that easy to do with our radio programing so that the airplane doesn't balloon when we lower the flaps. Those who are full scale pilots know this feeling well. Also remember that the purpose of flaps on any airplane is exactly as Maynardrupp has discovered. That is to steepen the approach angle WITHOUT increasing the airspeed. This allows for a slower / safer touch down. Finally, if we always remember to use full up elevator during taxi, the initial takeoff roll and during landing roll out, most nose-over problems will go away. Likewise, if we use flaps when needed to steepen the approach angle and leave them up at other times, say in a cross wind, we will begin to see how scale like and versatile this model really is. Thanks for allowing me to add my two cents.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM
rcten

Hi, I'm new to this forum, input wise that is, but have read thru from beginning todate. Looking for the perfect aircraft for my engine, needless to say the Waco SRE caught my attention. Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased one. It arrived today and in a word I was totally IMPRESSED with the quality of this arf, Sig has raised the bar, take note Hanger9, Great Planes! Sig has also listened and responded to your prime complaints, the aileron, flap and elevator servo's are inside, the aluminium spar fits like a glove with no binding. [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
kvlasblom

Thanks for the info about the flaps, I'm new to them too!
And rcten, congratulations on your purchase!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
photo1

Thanks Guys. You have certainly simplified the flap situation on this model and have saved me getting too complicated with them. Looking at them I thought that they would be more effective & therefore it would be great to have them variable but now I see the error of my ways.

Terry
Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
maynardrupp

Why do you say " the servoes are inside? Mine mount under the wing and on the side of the fuselage just below the stab. The only servos that are inside on my Sig Waco SRE are the rudder and throttle. Did they change the setup recently??
Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM
rcten

Maynardrupp,
I read back in this forum that they recessed the servos and it is true, the only problem is they havn't updated the assembly manual to reflex this change, however it is a no brainer with the parts supplied and the size of the servo openings in the wing.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Scott,

Don't limit your considerations to the Waco YMF. Personally I like the QCF-2, UBF and ASO/ATO versions in the open cockpit and the YKS and YKC in the Cabins. The UPF and YMF have been done with the Pica YMF kit probably the best of the 1/5th scale size and smaller. A well done UPF would be nice as there were alot made and color schemes are plentiful.
Speaking of the YKS-6: Hobby Lobby has announced their new little 1/8 scale YKS-6 ARF that is due into stock at the end of Nov.....very cute little model. I pre ordered one, due to my current Waco addiction.

They are also doing a 1/4 scale ARF Waco YKS-6 for sometime in early to mid 2009.

Still leaves lots of very cool Wacos for Scott to work on!....

Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 AM
kvlasblom

Hello everyone!
I'm still building my WACO SRE from plans, been going a year now, hope to be done in the early summer of 2009.
I was wondering, does anyone know of any footage of the SRE on the Internet?
I've seen just 1 video on YouTube, but no models.
I'm craving to see how these things fly.......
Please?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
MikeL@Sig

Here is a clip of the SIG WACO SRE

http://www.kavanrc.de/video/sig_waco2_e.htm
Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 PM
kvlasblom

Yes! Thankyou! I enjoyed that!
Fantastic!
As far as I'm concerned SIG should be very proud!
Can't wait to get my model done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.