RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig's new Waco SRE
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
silver.kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig's new Waco SRE

Hi Guys,
Allow me a few thoughts about some of the discussion concerning flying this model. It is a tail dragger after all and as such all of the things that apply to the full scale airplane apply here as well. For instance, every pilot is always taught to ALWAYS hold full up elevator while taxiing to preclude nose-overs. Regarding the use of flaps, always remember this little learning tool. "Flaps Up / Nose Up......Flaps Down / Nose Down". We RC pilots make that easy to do with our radio programing so that the airplane doesn't balloon when we lower the flaps. Those who are full scale pilots know this feeling well. Also remember that the purpose of flaps on any airplane is exactly as Maynardrupp has discovered. That is to steepen the approach angle WITHOUT increasing the airspeed. This allows for a slower / safer touch down. Finally, if we always remember to use full up elevator during taxi, the initial takeoff roll and during landing roll out, most nose-over problems will go away. Likewise, if we use flaps when needed to steepen the approach angle and leave them up at other times, say in a cross wind, we will begin to see how scale like and versatile this model really is. Thanks for allowing me to add my two cents.