Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

ORIGINAL: KentuckyColonel

I am in the process of assembling my Richmodel 120 P-51 I got from A-K Model. I really like the plane. Looks great and so far seems to be constructed fairly well. Only issue I have is the instructions....or lack there of. They were included, but are not for the plane I'm assembling. The instructions are for a plane without flaps, just a long aileron. I have never assembled a plane with a servo for each flap, so instructions on the mechanical setup would have been nice.
I had a small issue with shipment, but that was my mistake, not Alex's.
All in all, a good experience so far. I am just happy that this is not the first plane I am assembling, so I have a pretty good idea on what needs to be done. I just hope the stated CG is correct, although I have learned (the hard way) to figure out my own CG....
If all goes well, I will, most likely, buy from A-K again.

CG range location is dead simple. http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm Make 9 measurements with a yardstick, plug 'em into that online application and do a run with 10% margin. Then do a 20% margin run. You got a very sensible CG range.

I used to do all the math myself, but geistware does it all in the blink of an eye and uses all the same formulas.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 PM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good one. Much quicker than my abacus...
Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 PM
bryant.law

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I know this is an old post but, I can't help to share my one and only experience with AK models. I recently ordered the Richmodels Extra 300L 40. The plane is advertised as Electric or Glow, first problem, in my opinion this is not a glow plane. This is due to the construction of the plane. It is built with what looks like large toothpicks. I tried to email AK Models and as usual I got a error returned that the email was undeliverabe. I then created an account on their site, posted a review, included my email address, request a response, haven't got one. This was my one and only purchase from them. I feel totally cheated, lied to, and basically ripped off. I have been reinforcing the fuse and hope to be able to fly the plane. After approx $30 in extras I will never buy another plane from them and would just like to ask anyone else considering making a purchase from them please do your research first. It seems their motto is "Buyer Beware".
Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I just orderd a BF109 last Friday at 1:00 am , received it Wednesday at 6:00 pm , fastest shipping and best price on the net for this plane .
Old 12-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Bass1

I tried to email AK Models and as usual I got a error returned that the email was undeliverabe.
I tried emailing them last week and also received the undeliverable message. Not sure what's up with that. I never had a problem with contact in the past.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
LDM

Pick up the phone and call them , a while back they had major floods and all sorts of problems . I know he is a good guy and usually responsive in all conditions
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: bryant.law

Well I know this is an old post but, I can't help to share my one and only experience with AK models. I recently ordered the Richmodels Extra 300L 40. The plane is advertised as Electric or Glow, first problem, in my opinion this is not a glow plane. This is due to the construction of the plane. It is built with what looks like large toothpicks. I tried to email AK Models and as usual I got a error returned that the email was undeliverabe. I then created an account on their site, posted a review, included my email address, request a response, haven't got one. This was my one and only purchase from them. I feel totally cheated, lied to, and basically ripped off. I have been reinforcing the fuse and hope to be able to fly the plane. After approx $30 in extras I will never buy another plane from them and would just like to ask anyone else considering making a purchase from them please do your research first. It seems their motto is "Buyer Beware".
Wow.
This is strong message after one returned e-mail.
Have you ever tried to call on the phone...???
Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: Bass1

I tried to email AK Models and as usual I got a error returned that the email was undeliverabe.
I tried emailing them last week and also received the undeliverable message. Not sure what's up with that. I never had a problem with contact in the past.
We do not ignore problems, as some like to put it.
We had server problem with out e-mails (specially the once that were generated from our on line store.
Below is communication records if anybody wants to read them (boring but show it is true):

-Original Message-
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [#NQR-999869]: E-Mail problems

AKM,
Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.

Ticket ID: NQR-999869
Subject: E-Mail problems
Department: Support
Priority: Medium

You can check the status of or reply to this Ticket online at: http://webnethosting.net/support/ind...ticketid=27627
Email: [email protected]
Password: 30db8411

Please do let us know if we can assist you any further,

WebNet Hosting LLC
__________________________________________________ ____________

-Original Message-
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:56 AM

Hello,

I am looking into this for you. Can you provide me with the URL to one of the modules that's not able to send mail?

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask!

Vincent Macaluso
-

"Your e-Business Starts Here"

WebNet Hosting LLC.

11710 Old Georgetown Rd. Suite 1122
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852
Toll Free - 1-877-503-HOST(4678)

Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.webnethosting.net

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: NQR-999869
Department: Support
Priority: Medium

__________________________________________________ _________

-Original Message-
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:04 AM

Hello Alex,

It appears the script is using a blank from <> . This is getting the messages tagged as spam. It has also caused the ip to be blocked by ATT.

Vincent Macaluso
-
__________________________________________________ ___

-Original Message-
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:17 AM

This was the tell-a-friend module. I am getting a from field when I send it to myself, but our admin says that when he tested it, the field was blank. I've requested more information from him.

Vincent Macaluso
__________________________________________________ ___

-Original Message-
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 9:39 AM

Hello,

We'll definitely work with you to find a solution to this. What mail program/module are you using to send your mailouts? There should be a way to throttle this down to a more manageable level.

The server has a limit per hour in order to prevent you from getting blocked. Although I'm sure it's legitimate mail, any server that sends out 4000 pieces of mail at one time is going to get thought of as a spammer and flagged as such - ISPs like AT&T, Roadrunner and SBC Global are becoming very strict with their policies (it's one of the main reason we upgraded the servers.)

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask!

Vincent Macaluso
Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Bass1

AK Models, The email I sent that was "undeliverable" was just a positive comment on you all stocking the big Richmodel Extra 260 gassers (100cc), ESPECIALLY at the price you are selling them for, Hopefully I will own one by the time the weather starts getting nice again and work picks back up. I love my Richmodel 50cc Yak 54. It's a super flying airplane and I almost purchased the 50cc Extra 330L( the one with the slightly damaged cowl) you used to have in stock.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

okay, i sent an email 12/17/08 at 9:01pm, recieved answer 12/17/08 at 9:02pm, what took so long?. because of that i will order the plane when you get it in stock, plus a member of my club got a p40 from you and was very happy
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG a whole minute?????? how dare he make you wait so long!!!!!!!! LOL I've always had good expieriences with AK models, I just wonder WHEN the f-16 kit will be sold. I've been waiting since I heard about it some time ago.

Dauntae
Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Folks, when you shop for the absolutely lowest price, you have to keep in mind that the first thing to go is customer service. It is my understanding that the owner/operator of AK-Models has a full time job and a family, in addition to AK-Models. Customer service takes a lot of time on the part of the owners of any business. Why are you surprised that you didn't hear from him?

I've dealt with AK-Models repeatedly over the last few years. I do not expect his dirt cheap models to compete directly against high end ARFs that are sold by the popular retailers in our hobby. I do not expect to be able to contact the owner directly on the first two or three tries. Life doesn't work that way. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are some brands that you do not want to placed high expectations on. Your model's manufacturer is one of them at the top of my failed expectations list.

If you want immediate customer response and a sympathetic ear, buy from one of the fancy retailers. If you want good, basic models at a price that you couldn't scratch build the model for, AK-Models offers some good "kits" here and there. Before you buy anything from such retailers, ask about your intended model on the net and get some feedback from other modelers. That will save you similar heartache in the future.

If you want someone to hold your hand, allow returns, etc., this isn't the place to buy. If you want good flying models at a really bargain price, they can be had from AK-Models. But never forget that the chance you are taking is on you, not the owner of the business. He gets boxes in one end of the garage and sends them to you out of the other end. That's the end of his responsibility. If you choose the wrong model, that's your problem.

Sorry to sound so gruff, but this is the business paradigm when buying at rock bottom prices.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-20-2008, 11:00 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For what its worth ... I have met the owner twice, Once when a friend and I bought a few planes from him..and another time at a local swap meet. I liked him right off, he was very friendly, helpfull, and pleasent to talk to. If I was hunting a new arf I would likely check his sight first.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:26 PM
LDM

I like the guy based on emails , I frankly when you look at tower , horison and all the biggies , the only differance is that there garage is bigger .
Alex has been good to me , and price ... well its not the cheapest all the time on any of his planes . As far as kits , you wont find a better lasor cut kit for under $130 in the jets that he offers
Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

This identical post was made early today in a new thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8262420

and I looked at AK Models pictures of the plane. Looked good to me, so I ordered one. I Emailed immediately after, with a question about a coupon code, and got a response in 12 minutes.

I anticipate prompt delivery, allowing for the holidays, and will post photos of what I recieve. I anticipate satisfaction with this product, since that's been my experience with them before.

Toothpicks, eh?
Dave Olson
Old 12-20-2008, 11:55 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: Scar

This identical post was made early today in a new thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8262420

and I looked at AK Models pictures of the plane. Looked good to me, so I ordered one. I Emailed immediately after, with a question about a coupon code, and got a response in 12 minutes.

I anticipate prompt delivery, allowing for the holidays, and will post photos of what I recieve. I anticipate satisfaction with this product, since that's been my experience with them before.

Toothpicks, eh?
Dave Olson
Hi Dave,
I saw your order come in and wanted to have you look at this post, but you managed to beat me to it.
Will be glad to hear report from "tested" customers.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:48 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I knew I'd drag them out of the woodwork. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

So sorry you have a toothpick plane. I am a repeat customer of Alex, and I will buy again. With all the variety of products available in the market place, I'm sure you will have no trouble finding somewhere else to spend your $$. Good luck.

Cheated, lied to and basically ripped off..........how sad! [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 AM
rgm762

ORIGINAL: rgm762

okay, i sent an email 12/17/08 at 9:01pm, recieved answer 12/17/08 at 9:02pm, what took so long?. because of that i will order the plane when you get it in stock, plus a member of my club got a p40 from you and was very happy
btw, sent the same email to nitro at the same time, still don't have an answer, i'm in total shock on that one, that's why i'll order fromk AK
Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 AM
bryant.law

I see that my post has caused quite a stir. My intentions where not to discredit AK Models but, to draw attention to the Richmodel Extra 330L that they offer. I know AK is not responsible for the construction of the ARFs however, I do think it would be nice to see more detailed pics on their website. The box and website advertise this aircraft as a Glow or Electric. I have taken it to two different flying fields and the general opinion is that yes it is possible to mount a .46 glow engine on it, the fuse it not strong enough to the weight and speed on landings. As for the return email, yes this was the first that I had personally received but, I had been told by other modelers that I fly with that this was a common occurance. I will take this as a lesson to pay close attention to the size and weight advertised.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Scar

I see that my post has caused quite a stir. My intentions where not to discredit AK Models but, to draw attention to the Richmodel Extra 330L that they offer. I know AK is not responsible for the construction of the ARFs however, I do think it would be nice to see more detailed pics on their website. The box and website advertise this aircraft as a Glow or Electric. I have taken it to two different flying fields and the general opinion is that yes it is possible to mount a .46 glow engine on it, the fuse it not strong enough to the weight and speed on landings. As for the return email, yes this was the first that I had personally received but, I had been told by other modelers that I fly with that this was a common occurance. I will take this as a lesson to pay close attention to the size and weight advertised.
Here's the second pic that comes up on the website, when I hit "Next". Looks pretty detailed to me.
Dave Olson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38105.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	938.9 KB
ID:	1094311  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:19 PM
rgm762

ok heres something, on 12/20 i placed an order with tower hobbies, sorry Alex, but it's a radio and servo's that you don't carry, anyway, got their email sameday saying thanks and order being processed, on 12/12 got the email confriming order and it was being filled, today 12/22, no emails from tower, but checked web site, they say it was shipped 12/22 and has tracking number, but still no email from them telling me this. this shows even the "big ones" aren't perfect either
Old 12-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Scar

My RichModel Extra 300L was waiting for me on my front steps when I got home from work. The snow had dampened the outer box on one corner, but inside the inner box was dry. I opened it up and started taking pictures.

The cowl and pants are fiberglas, and there’s a reinforcement glassed into the mount for the pants.

The covering is smooth on the outside, but seems to have a fabric texture inside. I can see & feel it, inside.

The framework is all light ply, and seems to be stiff enough in the motor mount area. The landing gear mount seems quite sturdy. Everything seems to be interlocking or doubled appropriately for strength. I believe I'm happy with the purchase. I will probably replace the hinges with my own, and maybe the fuel tank. I fly off grass, and will probably use larger wheels.

I really shouldn’t try to put this together right now; I have too many projects going. If I can, I will. In any case, flying will wait until March or April. I will post pictures.

Dave Olson

Name:	Qo39357.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1095329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41977.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1095330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74664.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1095331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11988.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1095332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60241.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1095333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71599.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1095334  
Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Scar

More pictures

Name:	Lj23100.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1095341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87678.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1095342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40526.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1095343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79332.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1095344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26367.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1095345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44388.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1095346  
Old 12-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Scar

And the last of the pictures

Name:	Pm34707.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1095347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86187.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1095348   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27817.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1095349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66624.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1095350   Click image for larger version

Name:	My24875.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1095351  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.