Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Looks very similar in construction to my 50cc Richmodel Yak 54 that's an excellent flyer. Looking at the photos, I am not seeing any "toothpicks"?? I generally don't fly the smaller models anymore but I'd be interested in stuffing a .46 in one and giving it a go if I were to get one for Christmas as a review model. I just happen to have all the gear I could easily yank out of that old profile that's just collecting dust in my shop. (hint Alex) Feel free to PM me for my shipping address[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Looks very similar in construction to my 50cc Richmodel Yak 54 that's an excellent flyer. Looking at the photos, I am not seeing any "toothpicks"?? <<snip>>
Every time I look inside this thing I'm seeing places where unnecessary weight's eliminated, and braces where there's loading. The engine box is braced six ways from sunday, and the wing tube support is doubled.

The support for the hatch/canopy may look a little flimsy, if you're accustomed to seeing the wing mount up there, but it looks fine to me for holding the canopy in place. The hatch actually has a clever mounting/securing feature, some tabs stick down thru the rails and there's a place to secure it with a screw through the side.

I grabbed the engine box and the tail of the fuselage and twisted. It was rigid, nothing gave, nothing creaked or cracked.

I have a bushing .40 and a ball bearing .46, I think I'll put it together with the servos & everything, and see how much engine I need to balance. If the .40 will balance it, I may give it a try.

Looks like this thing is crowding out some of my other projects, I need to prioritize!
Dave Olson
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
AK Models

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bryant,
I do not want to question your judgment on this model, but I thought you would be interested to see this pictures.
This is a 87" 50CC 16lb model
As you will see also built with same size tooth picks as Extra 40 that you are conserned about.
Forward me your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15206.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1097560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52796.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1097561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60112.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1097562  
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Bass1

AKM, Do you still have the rest of that 50cc Extra? I
Old 12-27-2008, 05:58 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Nice construction in my book !
My BF109 arrived from Ak models in perfact condition , I know only received confirmation withen 10 miniutes of ordering but it arrived to my house in under 5 days -ordered late Friday , received the following Wednesday
Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
bryant.law

OK I think I am dead now, I have more bullet holes in me than a WWII Jap Zero. I have looked at other Extras at other flying fields in my area and I see this type of construction is normal. I apologize to Alex and to his business. I was expecting too much with this type of airframe. I re-enforced mine where I thought it needed it and took it out to maiden this morning. I got nothing but compliments on the looks and was told that yes this is the way these types of planes are built. My muffler came loose so I did not fly it, I know I could have tightened it at the field but I am a firm believer if the plane tries to tell you that it don't want to fly then take it back home and fly another day. I will try again in the morning and if the weather is right I will try to tape it and post it here. So again Alex, I am sorry.

Bryant
Old 12-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Bass1

Another thing to keep in mind is these "newer generation' super lightweight , super agile 3-D type aerobats are not built like brick ship houses like those of yester-year. The trade off with these lightweight super flying models is just that, they are super flyers .. NOT super crashers. So fly it like your in it!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:11 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I just ordered the Lightning Dart flying wing last week for my buddy Fred and had it shipped to his house. I stopped by there tonight to drop something off and finally got a chance to see it. It appears to be very well made and the hardware that was included was also of surprisingly good quality. I've encouraged Fred to do a build/assembly thread while he puts his ARF together.

AK Models' processing and shipping was very quick, the product arrived in perfect condition, and the ARF itself is actually nicer than I was expecting. No complaints here!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:33 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been happy with all of the models that I purchased from AK-Models. I too was surprised at the quality of the build and the expert application of the finishing materials.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
droman

Hello
I am using AK-Models for the first time and I see that the service is not very good for the moment. I ordered two days ago (Tuesday and today is Thursday) and today I don’t know yet if AK-models received my order ok, and in case yes, when they are going to sent the order?
On the other hand, I have three days calling to the number that they have in the contact page of the web site, but nobody answer the phone.
Dax
Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
AK Models

We have moved entire business under one roof (ARF kits and laser cutting).
Phone was disconected for few days now.
All orders have been shipped.
FedEx Package 1 Tracking #: 276381010060613
ORIGINAL: droman

Hello
I am using AK-Models for the first time and I see that the service is not very good for the moment. I ordered two days ago (Tuesday and today is Thursday) and today I don’t know yet if AK-models received my order ok, and in case yes, when they are going to sent the order?
On the other hand, I have three days calling to the number that they have in the contact page of the web site, but nobody answer the phone.
Dax
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you planning more kits/short kits available in the future?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 PM
JS615

Alex

Any word on the BF 109 Canopys yet, have they arrived yet?????????
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: JS615

Alex

New 40' container is comming tomorrow at noon from CMP (China Models), should have few new kits, many will be back in stock.

In few month will have our own Balsa Shop as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
JS615

Alex

Sounds great,,, i need a Canopy bad for my BF 109, so i can get her to the field for the first test flight. how should i order it from you,, i cant find no part number on your site.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

1)trust me , the servace is the best had my order faster then any other mail order supplier
2)what do we need from ALex -
we need that great lasor cut prop jet line in ARF or ARC kit format !!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 PM
JS615

ORIGINAL: AK Models

ORIGINAL: JS615

Alex

New 40' container is comming tomorrow at noon from CMP (China Models), should have few new kits, many will be back in stock.

In few month will have our own Balsa Shop as well.
Alex

What is the stock number on the BF 109 Canopy, and where is it on your web site,, i need to get this canopy to finish my plane!!!!! HELP!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM
rayjr06

The question is AK-Models Good? Bad? Ugly? Well let me start by the good. Good is when you have money to buy a kit from AK-Models he will take your money Quick!!!!!!! The Bad is when you have something damaged in the kit theres no response from him other than try to blame the shipper instead of owning up to the damaged part. The Ugly is that he has no customer service skills or courtesy to even call back or E-mail me to try to replace this part that came damaged. Now I have to call Nitro Planes to buy a Right side wing Flap that was cracked or crushed. The truth is I purghased 3- ARF's from Ak-Models and had no problems until now. I am sorry to say That my Faith in this company has degraded [:@]
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
SunnyFlyer09

I agree , I have had the worst customer service EVER, compared to other companies.......WHAT GIVES ?,,, THEY DONT CARE!!!! I'll Take my money else where.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: SunnyFlyer09

I agree , I have had the worst customer service EVER, compared to other companies.......WHAT GIVES ?,,, THEY DONT CARE!!!! I'll Take my money else where.
What problem did you have?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Alex, thanks for the prompt reply to my e-mail to you last night. Hopefully, wife will slip me the funds to order that plane from you in the next day or so.

Just to let everyone know, Alex is a great person to deal with and keeps the hobbyist in mind!!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ordered from Alex twice now. On my first order, I had a cracked canopy. I called him and he sent me a replacement A.S.A.P. I will continue to order from Alex and AK-Models.

Some of you out there need to relax. AK-Models is not Tower, Alex is slowly growing and from time to time is going to have some growing pains. I would recommend AK-Models and if you have an issue, be patient and try to work out your situation, before posting. From time to time there will be situations where both parties will not be satisfied and someone will feel like that were not receiving the attention or service they deserved. I've had it happen to me and treated as a learning experience, either to do something different or not to do business with that company or person again.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Fred brought his Lightning Dart ARF to show-and-tell to the meeting last week. The build quality of the airframe and the included hardware all seem very good. We all had a good laugh at the vague instructions, but Fred is pretty good at putting airplanes together and hasn't had too many problems getting it put together.

He hasn't had a chance to maiden it yet. He has an old Enya .60 two stroke installed and is putting together an exhaust solution to prevent backpressure on the forward facing exhaust outlet.

Fred has a lot of experience with electric flying wings and is looking forward to wringing this out.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

I ordered the Electric Yak (richmodel), and it's better quality than my EF electric Yak. I wish the cowling mount was a little different, but it didn't take much work to install. My buddy has the 50cc Yak, and it's darn nice.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:35 AM
rayjr06

Hey All I just want to say for the record that my faith with AK-Models has been restored. My damaged flap has arrived and now I can start assembling the wing.Alex came threw for me!! I was a little upset and it was partly to do with AK-models moving when all this happened. I just want to say Thanks Alex and I am sorry for the misunderstanding .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.