Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Hi,

If you have this plane could you please tell me if you like it or not. What are it's good and bad points? I'm thinking of getting one and putting it on floats. I built the Great Planes 1/5 Scale Piper Cub from a kit and with many modification made it look like the real plane. That one is on wheels and I want a Big Cub on floats. I live near a lake and sometimes it gets a little choppy. A small Cub couldn't handle it.

Give me some feedback please!

Gibbs
Old 08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
NCIS

Default RE: Great Planes 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Sorry I meant Hanger 9's 1/4 scale Cub ARF.

Da,

Gibbs
Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 AM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Sorry I meant Hanger 9's 1/4 scale Cub ARF.

Da,

Gibbs
Well, if they ever get around to releasing the thing I'll be glad to try to help. I ordered mine from Toledo and still don't have it. Horizon's website says delivery in "Mid-August". We'll see.
I did talk w/ the designer at Toledo, and he said that floats were a consideration in its design, and floats/mounts will be available. Since I'm not interested in floats, I didn't follow up on that.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
NCIS

Mobyal,

Hobby Town has a bunch of them in Rockford Il. I was their yesterday and saw at least 6 of them in the store. Maybe you should try them. If you call them they will tell you where the nearest store is to you. 1-815-282-0727 ask for John. If there aren't any near you he will be happy to ship one to you.

barry
Old 08-10-2007, 05:34 PM
mobyal

Barry --
Thanks for the info. Glad they've got the ARFs in the stores.
The one I ordered is the PNP. I called Horizon today to see what the story is. I was told that the ARF is in, and has been shipped -- as you know. BUT the PNP is "held up in customs" and will be available "in a little bit". When I asked how long "a little bit" might be, I was told "at least three weeks".
Think I'll call my LHS, which has had it on backorder for me since April, and cancel the order. When I ordered it in April it was going to be available "in June", then that got moved to availability "in July". Then it was to be available "in mid-August". Now it'll be sometime September, assuming it doesn't get moved again. H*ll, by the time I finally get it, I'll have waited more than 5 months for it, and the flying season'll be just about over. I could have built my own in less time. I'm not sure I want the thing that bad.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 PM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

wich engine you think is a good option for this beauty in 4 STROKE? I¨m thinking in a saito 125 or a saito150.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 PM
WCB

Bucho,
I'd say a 120 4 stroke will be plenty. I had an older 1/4 scale Super Cub with a Saito 150 and it was way overpowered. A 120 would have been fine. I imagine the new J3 would be similar.
WCB
Old 08-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Tennwalker41-delete
My Feedback: (15)

I have one of them for about 2 weeks now running on a G26. UR gonna need the weight of a gas engine. THe small glow engines dont have enough weight. Whatever u do reglue the firewall. MIne came out of the plane about 10 ft off the ground, it dropped a wing and cartwheeled. I am sending it back tomorrow. Depends on what ur lookin for as to whether it flies well. When they replace mine with a new one it will b for sale. I dont like they way they fly. THey fly well like a cub. Rudder is needed to make decent turns but if u apply too much it will drop a wing. Takes off about 4 mph and on a G26 will only reach about 30mph. Forget doin anything resembling a roll ur never make it. Takes a long time to land and it will definitely land on the front 2 wheels then b ready for the elevator to keep it from nosing over.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
bucho

I have the 2 options, the saito 125 and the saito 150 on my stok, I like better the 125 but I don´t want to have to add some dead weigth on the nouse!!!!!!!! I really still don´t know wich one to use...... any coments will be great to help on my desicion.

the ariplane is beutyfull, hangar 9 do a great job on it, it looks great, I hope it fly well, and I´m working on the fire wall to reglue it, thanks for the advice teenwalker.

sorry about my writing. [&:]
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

It is gorgeous for sure and is built well. It flies like a cub for sure. U will need about 2lbs of weight of weight on the nose if u try a glow engine.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 AM
WCB

Bucho,
It sounds like the Saito 150 would be a better choice. Tennwalker41 says you need 2lbs of weight in the nose. The Saito 150 weighs just a little over 2 lbs. The 125 is 7 or 8 ounces lighter than the 150 so you would have to add some weight to the nose to make up the difference. I doubt that 7 or 8 ounces would make much difference with a Cub this big, but I hate to add dead weight to any plane.
The 150 would be fine if you use throttle management.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Tennwalker41-delete

A glow engine is not goin to make u happy. THe gas engine is cheaper to run and cheaper to buy. I got a brand new G26 for sale for $250 shipped. Mine balanced perfectly with the pilot figure in the back seat.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:34 PM
NCIS

Which Engine?

I was thinking of using the old work horse. The very heavy Magnum 1.20 4 stroke. From what people are saying it will need nose weight so Saito is out of the picture. The magnum is the heaviest of all four strokes.

JMHO,

Gibbs
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

Saitos r wayyyyyyyy out of line. They r very light. I have already been through this with mine so take good advice. U gonna spend a lot of money on a glow engine and be very dissappointed. THe G26 or G20 is the key.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
NCIS

Tennwalker41,

Why does this Cub need so much nose weight? Did Hanger 9 screw up when designing it? I'm just curious because I have gas engines in all my kit built Giant Scale Warbirds but just didn't even think about gas for this one for some reason. Gas is fine with me if I even get one from what I'm hearing about it's flight capabilities.

Thanks for the heads up,

Gibbs
Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM
bucho

I konow glow is more expensive than gas, but I rally love they way they look, the way they work, the way they sound, Rigth know I´m really thinking about gas on this one for all the reasons you told me, but I like the saito 150 for this beauty , I´ll keep looking in this forum to read all about this topic to make my final descion.

thank you.[8D]
Old 08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

I Know what yall mean about the Saitos i love those engines. Nothin beats a Saito 4 stroke for the sound. The only thing i dont like about them especially the big ones like the 150, 180, 220 is the fuel consumption. 10 flights per gallon at $16 a gallon nah i dont think so. The simplicity of gas is just beyond justification on a plane like this. THe nose is so short on this one a light glow engine just wont b enough wieght. Power is not the issue here u could prolly fly it off a 60 lol. JUst something about needing only the plane the radio and a can of gas appeals to me. This is only my 2 cents worth i only own 1 glow plane now and its for sale. Hope this clears up some things.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 AM
hanna
My Feedback: (3)

How did they put the firewall in. I do not see how this could be a problem in this day and age. I thought the mfg's of high end arf's learned their lesson about this a while back. This is a p.r. disaster if it is true. Look at all the ads for the thing. I have one on order and it should arrive within a week. I was looking forward to getting it, but now? Dont get me wrong, I am not questioning that yours failed. I am hoping it is an isolated issue. Thanks for your post, Mike K.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Tennwalker41-delete

Whether it was isolated or not it happened i saw it up close. Looks like there was no glue around the right side of the formers and absolutely none on the stringers above. They have had it back since Thursday and i have not heard a word. FRom the attitudes i have gotten from Horizon so far on this matter looks like i wont be buying their products again. THe plane is built very well otherwise. Probably gonna replace it with a Sig Rascal 110. Sig doesnt operate like Horizon does. IN 4 calls to them about this matter the best answer i got was basicallly "soooo." It seems they forget who pays their bills.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

When I do buy an ARF, I always make sure to put a little epoxy on the firewall. A little insurance policy.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Tennwalker41-delete

WHen an ARF costs $500 should i really have to reglue everything??
Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Tennwalker41

WHen an ARF costs $500 should i really have to reglue everything??
Pretty much. At 500 bucks it's a steal anyway. I'd be happy to reglue a few joints. Could never build that plane for that price-from a kit or from scratch (counting the labor of course).
Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

I called this morning and they said they sent me out a new one the same day because like i said no glue at all on the right side or top of the firewall. When i pay $500 for something i expect perfection, thats what i pay for. MR BIgg i am sure they appreciate ur optimism they can prolly sell u an unglued kit with no covering for $499. Time to unsubscribe to this nonsense. I understand now why RCIGN left this idiosy. Hope i helped the ones who asked for it.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 PM
NCIS

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I have to do all that then I might as well build a Sig 1/4 scale Cub. But I already have enough boxes of Giant kits lying around to buy another one when I still haven't finished my 1/5 scale Piper Super Cub. It's built and covered in 21st Century fabric that is almost see through. I haven't figured out what to do as far as a paint scheme yet. The wife says all my planes look the same, just different models. I have to disagree with her on that one because I have one way out of here Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk I built almost three years ago and it's so darn pretty I'm afraid to fly it. The pretty might just be in the eyes of the beholder but here it is. I also have a picture of another plane, my replica of my full scale Cherokee 140 so she can't say I'm just showing one. They are a bit dust from being in my workshop where I do a lot of sanding.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98718.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	746498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99564.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	746499  
Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Guys-In case anyone needs a Plug N Play version fast, (the one with the pre-installed Zenoah G-20 and JR servos), I have one for sale. (I ended up with two of these-LONG story) PM me or phone 843-546-6511 days EST-Ask for Mike . I'm willing to offer free shipping on it to save someone a few bucks as well. I live in S.C and can ship fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.