Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assir,
Well, my FA .80 used to run very well and very reliable until I let it set for a year or so without use. I also have an FA .91 that runs very well and very reliable. I need to remove the carb on the .80 and clean it thoroughly to get the top end to tune properly. I recall going through that carb before mounting it.
I've finished the rebuild on the OS .91 but, I'm having difficulty getting it to fire off. Compression is great, the timing is correct (pretty sure), and the valves are adjusted correctly. I haven't even been able to get it to "pop". So, back to the drawing board on that one.
I have the time to replace the engine and mount on the DVII (now that I've missed our Warbird meet) so, I think I'll mount the Saito .91 on it. I recently bought a NOS OS .61FX but, I have another plane in mind for it.
By the way ....do you know anyone who has successfully mounted a 15cc or 20cc gas engine in a H9 Fokker DVII? I think a 15cc would be a great match for that bird but, I doubt there would be room for the canister muffler. I need to get exact dimensions for a 15cc to see if one can be shoe-horned in there. I don't want to alter the appearance of the plane either. I had a 15cc gasser mounted in my Camel when I wrecked it (forgot to re-balance the plane) and I had JTEC make a custom muffler for it and it pulled it very well with plenty of power and it fit completely inside that big round cowl.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:41 AM
Azzir325

Yeah, lack of use is the worst thing you can do to a glow engine, especially if like me, you don't clean them out and use after run oil. The methanol evaporates and the oil congeals, clogging the ports, etc. Usually a disassembly, a good rinse in fresh glow fuel and reassembly will get them back to snuff.

As for small gas engines, there are a lot being offered with the carb in the usual glow carb position, which may or may not mean a side exhaust. When I bought my D7, I also purchased the recommended Evolution glow engine and the "special" muffler they made for the 7. The Evo engine turned out to be a boat anchor, and I used my old OS LA 65, which mated to the pitts muffler perfectly despite the fact that the Horizon people said it would NOT fit. They lied. Anyway, I don't have any useful info on gas engines to pass on, but I suspect if you go back in this thread, there might be some. Good luck!
Rick
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 PM
rowdyjoe

I was thinking of an engine like a small DLE or DA. RCGF makes a nice 15cc and a 20cc. I had the 15cc on my Camel and it was very good engine. In a moment of weakness, I sold it to a local guy and he doesn't want to part with it. They are about the same price as a 2 stroke OS so, cost is not a real issue but, size is. Length and width is probably too much for the DVII even with a custom muffler.
I'm tempted to install the .61 FX but, I really like the sound of the 4 stroke with a WWI plane and I'd have to buy a different exhaust. So, I guess I'll go ahead with the firewall/motor-mount mod and install the .91.
I have a Turbo Header muffler that will fit either of my Saitos and it fits inside the cowl. It's a bit short of extending out the bottom so I use an exhaust deflector to extend it. The Turbo Header is supposed to add 200 to 300 rpm. I haven't noticed that much of an increase on the .80 but, might see it on the .91. We'll see.
OK, I need to get off my duff and get some of these engines running correctly. Catch you later.

Garry
Old 06-04-2016, 06:09 PM
rowdyjoe

I finally got the old OS .91s running tonight. I got the timing wrong twice but, the third time was the charm. It has great compression and the new parts appear to be working well together. Since some parts are no longer available for this engine I had to get help from "The Old Wise Ones" on the web. I needed a carb and OS doesn't make them anymore but, I was told that a Magnum or ASP .91 carb would ft and work. I found a new ASP carb on the Hobby King web site for less than $25 shipped ...and it works like a champ. Most other parts are available if you shop around and there is great help available if you ask.
Anyway, I'm very happy to get this engine running but, now I can't decide if I want to install the OS or the Saito .91 on my DVII.

Garry
Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Azzir325

Hi Garry! I am glad to hear things are looking up for you in the engine department. I spent the day at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome at our "Spring Jamboree." It's something we have done for the last 3 years or so. Very small turnout because we had an unfavorable weather forecast, but today was great! Sunshine and gentle breezes. I flew my Sopwith Camel twice and my little SE 5 once, plus I got to watch a bunch of other guys fly, and got to help move the full scale Albatross and Spad out of the hangar, and have a close up view of full scale Standard biplane giving rides to paying customers!

As for your dilemma about which engine to use, since either would fit into the category of "too much power should at least be considered," I would probably install which ever would be the easier to do. Keep me posted!
Rick
Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM
rowdyjoe

Yeah, me too. Now if I could just find a plane I can fly without killing it.

Glad you had a great time at Rinebeck. Getting next to "the real deal" was a treat I'll bet.
When we lived in Calif. (20yrs ago) I used to keep an airplane at FlaBob airport near Riverside. EAA chapter one was located there and I was a member for a while. Not sure when the airport was built but, it had to be close to WWII or before because all of the buildings were 30's or 40's vintage. However, we did have a 2400 ft asphalt runway. On the weekends, those old wooden hangars would open up and I was constantly amazed at what I saw inside. Aircraft of all shapes, sizes, and in various states of repair or construction. One big hangar behind the flight line hangars belonged to a guy named Turner, as I recall. Mr. Turner and crew built the Gee Bee replica seen in the movie "The Rocketeer" and they also "built" the old Jenny known as the "Flying Freep" in the same movie. Basically, they glued pieces of cloth to the covering to make it appear like patches. They were a popular outfit for replicas and rebuilds. VERY interesting place to hang out. I enjoyed hanging around as much as I did flying there.
I haven't been flying since I destroyed my little stick. I finished a make-over of a foamy P-40 and have been fiddling with the OS engine off and on but, haven't had the urge to go to the field. Our weather has been very wet as you may have heard and the normal entrance to our field is blocked by high water. We can get in but, must take the long way around. Our field is located on the southern shore of Lake Benbrook just south of Ft. Worth and the lake level is very high.
I still think about flying but, can't really work up the courage to risk another plane. I don't have many left.
Anyway, take care and remember, gear down for landing.

Garry
Old 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Azzir325

Hey Joe! I got out to a local field Sunday and put my EDF Learjet up for a flight. The sky was cloudy and the plane was disappearing on me, so I decided to land it. I had to go around one last time, and in the time it took to do that the sky opened up and by that I mean some serious rain was falling. I stuck with it and got down safely, but it was interesting to say the least!

I took a couple of minutes of film at the Jamboree Saturday. Most of it is full scale, and it is brief. Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud6WG9Pd-6A

Clear skies and gentle breezes!
Rick
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM
rowdyjoe

Rick,
Good thing you had the de-icers on to keep that jet from stalling. I can certainly empathize with the rain situation. We've had more than our fair share lately but, the forecast for this week is DRY ! ....with temps in the low 90's. Summer is coming.

Thanks for the video at Rhinebeck. The place looks great and the "birds" did too.

Garry
Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have an accurate motor mounting template for a 90 FS? I have a Magnum 91.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

I was wondering the other day if anyone was still flying this one. I still have one NIB.

Hooker53
Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

so what are you going to do with it? is it for sale?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Azzir325

I still fly mine at warbird events and others. Will be at Warbirds over Delaware again this year, and likely fly in the "gaggle."
Old 04-01-2017, 04:44 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Skyline, I guess I'll just keep it. I have a 1/3 scale BUSA just like it and always wanted to sit it beside it and take some photos. Lol. They look like good flyers. If I could just stay away from the turbine scene. I have about 2 two many of them. Ha.

Hooker53
Old 05-06-2017, 01:02 PM
gbman
My Feedback: (4)

Default Laser .70 in DVII

I finished my DVII in 2009 and hung her in in my shop. Took her to the field in 2013 intending to maiden, but had problems with one of the aileron screws stripping out of the hard point in the aileron. I spent some time going over the details this week and now all seems to be well. This morning I took the cowl off and spent some time with the engine, a Laser .70. It ran well and certainly is a powerful engine. The weather looks to be favorable this week, I hope to finally get her in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2213381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2213382  
Old 07-31-2023, 09:16 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts