Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AirBorne Models "TameCat" Trainer Assembly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AirBorne Models "TameCat" Trainer Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
simitar1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AirBorne Models "TameCat" Trainer Assembly

I don't seem to be able to get my Jpeg images into my postings. every indication is they are up loading but I never see the "Embed in Post" box to select??????????????[:@][:@] Two days later, looks like I stumbled onto how to put pictures in after all.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mr Pringle , you are correct , the main gear will stress the fuse , that is also why I added a robart struct to the original design
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
simitar1

I'd be interested in seeing how you did the strut. I have been looking at the fuselage, did you reinforce the existing bulkhead. My concern is I may make the Strut so rigid and strong, the bulkhead absorbs all the stress. I may just be doing OVERKILL since I haven't, "Augered In" a model in a long time.

Any chance of a picture? A Robart Part Number?

Thanks, Mark
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Hey guy! Looks like your version's a whole lot better made than my Altech model. That would be cool-formation flying! I need to check your manufacturer for replacement parts. I pretty well wiped out my cowl and canopy on my rooftop, parking lot, high speed, vertical, tail first landing awhile back! Think I'd like to try an electric version.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Mr Pringle , my plane was the original and I lost it in a crash about 5 years ago, the strut is very simple , you can buy a stock robart strut $35 bucks for one or go to the Hobby People website and look for the VQ P40 struts , you get 2 for $29 , all you do is cut your nose gear wire to the desired length , slide the new strut on , tighten the set screws and your done
Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 PM
simitar1

Airborne makes an E version which is about 1/2 the size of the 40. I'm having more problem relocating the remote needle valve for the Tower 46 than I expected. They changed the design from what is shown in the engine manual and in the Tower ads. While the change appears small, it and the bracket create clearence problems which I think will cause me to make a new bracket and mount the valve on the firewall[:@][:@][:@] poop.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
simitar1

Well it is all assembled, well almost, I need to place and secure the receiver and battery. With those items setting on the aft surface, the dry weight is 6 lb. 4 oz, sound familiar? I think World Models is fudging a bit when they say 5.6 lbs. I'm able to get the recommended CG with the battery pack, receiver, plus 3 oz. lead, against the rear most bulkhead. The Receiver will be forward, for access, so I'll probably be a about 4oz lead when done. Even at 6 lb. 5 oz. the wing load is well under 18 oz.

The Tower 46 has a large muffler and is somewhat heavy but is a little powerhouse. I had hoped that just moving the pack and receiver all the way aft would be enough but it is not to going to happen. I still have to seal the hinge gaps, I'm using Flaprons, and adjust the throws, the engine has been ran for only one tank so I'll do one more tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12422.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1003683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12634.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1003684  
Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
simitar1

Up, Up, Up, Up, and back under control. Finally got over my last operation and allowed to lift something as heavy as my field box. Really happy with the way this ARF went together, really concerned about the C.G. requring me to put the battery and about 2 oz of lead against the end of the Fusealage. Off to the field, recheck everything, slight overcast with glare, wind 6-8 at about 45 degrees off the runway. The Tower 46 needed just about 3 clicks to lean so it has just a hint of 4cycle, still only two tanks on it, it pulls very stongly as it revs.[>:]

The Cat tracked perfectly to the grass, into the middle of the field, an easy turn into the general direction of the wind, Hammer down. About 30 feet and rotation starts, whoa I didn't do that, mains are still on the ground, speed is enough and up she rises. Problem is, she keeps rising and I'm feeding a little more down with each passing second to avoid a stall. Now the nose starts to come down and I'm hearing the chirp, chirp, chirp of my transmitter as I dial in Down Elevator while easing off the stick. Bank left away from the field, going down wind at about 1/3 throttle nose still high, left again and lined up. As I throttle back the nose is actually rising, like it is about to stall, I feed a little power and it gets solid again. The Mains touch as it passes me and the nose settles smoothly, the roll out is about 20 feet and I taxi back to the pits.

I had spent a lot of time on the C.G and Lateral balance. I rechecked and found I was 3 mm back on the C.G. and the Elevator was as much as 3 degrees up when the trim was at center. I decided to play it really safe, I called World Models, USA. After discussing the flight and considering that I had set the C.G. with the plane "DRY" but had flown with about 10oz of fuel. They suggested moving the C.G to a comfortable nose down "dry" position and try it again. I must say this model flys great, even with my initial difficulty, it was steady, responsive, and just plain fun. I got rid of the 2oz of lead, moved the battery 3/4 inch forward but still in the very back end. I can't wait to fly it again, I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a great looking plane that is fun to fly.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Well, I broke down and ordered one of these as a birthday present to myself. Actually, I told the wifey that she had bought it for me, she just didn't remember it! (Ha Ha - Fat Chance). Any hoo I'm gonna try to put an AXI 4120/20 up front running on a 4900mah 6S pack. That should do the trick nicely if I can get it all to fit! Right now I'm running that set-up on a 60 size Ultra Stick and it has unlimited vertical, so with the Tamecat actually being lighter than the stick, I should end up with a rocket. If anyone's interested I'll post the results on this thread.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
simitar1

You will love this plane. I don't know the Glow equivalent of the motor you are installing but my Tower 46 will really move my Cat scary fast.[>:] It will do unlimited vertical and climb out of sight in seconds. I have added a lot of Orange, "DayGlow", panels to aid visibility. All that military Gray makes for very difficult depth perception on overcast or bright, glaring, sunny days. I'm satisfied with the adjusted change to the CG now, and the Lateral balance is perfect.

Good luck with the Electric converion and I hope you will post some pics soon.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loopman, I'm wondering how your's is turning out. I too am considering one of these, and putting an AXI 4130/16 in it. My concerns are:

1) prop size: it looks like anything bigger than 10 or 11 " and you are running out of room? I'm hoping I could use an APC 13 x 12 on grass runways.

2) weight: advertised id in the 5.6 lb range, how accurate is that? I've read 1 report of 6#, 4 oz (which still isn't too bad), but would like to confirm that it can be kept to under 7 lbs with relative ease.

3) flaps: I would really like to split the ailerons up into flpas, but they look kinda small, so they would:
....a) not produce much benefit as flaps? AND,
....b) make the ailerons less effective, to the point of making the roll rate too slow?

Would really like to hear of experiences in e-conversions of the 'trainer' (looks more like a warbird sport/ fun plane to me).
Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
simitar1

Corsair Jock, Flaparons worked good on mine. I have also been waiting for an "E" update from Loopman, I expect a lot of guys would jump on a, proven, electric conversion of the TameCat.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
RTice
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: AirBorne Models

Any E updates on this one?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
piroflip2

Default RE: AirBorne Models

GMS 47, Prop: Master Airscrew 10-7

It must have screamed its nuts off.
We were using 10 x 6 props on 40 size engines 35 years ago!!
The absolute minimum with a modern 47 would be a 11 x 7 now I would imagine.