Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Engine installation question.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Engine installation question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 04:40 PM
crashed-em-all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine installation question.

I am considering installing a ZDZ40 into my World Models extra 300s. I believe that this model comes with a bar mount for the engine. I have never installed a radial mount engine before. Will I need to make any modifications?

Old 10-18-2002, 12:55 PM
cstansfield

World Models only gives instructions and parts to mount 1.60 FX engine, and they have you install the engine at an angle or diagonally to the right of bottom. Remember the right thrust is already built into the firewall. You will need to used the center line they provide on the engine mount plate. I would suggest to mount the ZDZ inverted and straight down, you'll more than likely have to trial fit the motor and engine box several times to get the right distance from the firewall to the cowl (spinner) opening. DO NOT glue any parts of the motor box together until you are sure the distance is right and marked. This will allow you to fine tune the distance from the firewall to the cowl (spinner) opening.

As far as the ZDZ mount is concerned it is a rear mount. I have seen people build motor boxes to accomodate the rear carb and mount, and I have seen others use long threaded nuts or extensions for all-thread to make an offset for the rear mount as well. Take a look at the ZDZ website for installations at www.rcshowcase.com

Hope this helps...
Old 10-23-2002, 09:10 AM
jbenko
My Feedback: (73)

Not having seen the cowl configuration yet, I have a question about the new 80" WM Extra. Does the documentation support a side mount arrangement for the FX1.60 with at Pitts-style muffler?

Thanks

Jeff Benko
Palm Beach Skyhawks
Old 10-24-2002, 11:23 AM
cstansfield

The installation instructions only tell you how to mount the 1.60 FX diagonally, the firewall is even marked to make thing a little easier... Why you might be wondering? Well, the answer is very simple, the bottom front part of the fuselage has a cut out with a fiberglass tunnel in it to accomodate the muffler and exhaust ports. I mounted my gasser inverted and used the opening to accommodate a pits style muffler and to extend the area for cooling exhaust from the cowl. I can't see why you couldn't mount your engine horizontally and use a pitts style muffler, you'll just have to play around with it.

Old 10-27-2002, 10:15 AM
mlj3
My Feedback: (95)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also building the same combo.This is my 1st Gasser and I was wondering how Big of a tank would it take for 15-20 min. flights.Also the square tank that comes with the kit should it be used for gas.I may also use it for a smoke tank. THANKS in Advance MJ
Old 10-28-2002, 09:16 AM
cstansfield

The flights that I have put on this aircraft with a gas engine and the stock fuel tank lasted 10-15 minutes with a considerable amount of gas left. Remember you will need to change the rubber tank stopper and fuel line/hose if you are going with a gas motor installation. You should be able to mount a smoke tank just aft of the wing tube and not have a great effect on the CG. Hope this helps...