Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Best & Worst ARF brands

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Best & Worst ARF brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Jim C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best & Worst ARF brands

the graupner had this but it stinks. I took it all off after 35 flights and got to see the plane in bare bones. Its very well built and they did a perfect job on it.
i agree.. but this is the only thing i can find wrong with graupner.. they need to start using monokote.. but i think that is why the price is a little better...
Old 05-30-2003, 08:30 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GraupnerFan
i agree.. but this is the only thing i can find wrong with graupner.. they need to start using monokote.. but i think that is why the price is a little better...
Most European arfs use oracover aka ultracote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:05 AM
AJT

Too date KANGKE SUPER CRAFT gets my vote with KYOSHO second.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:42 AM
OUTCAST

Originally posted by Bearzilla
BTW...I'm considering a golden age plane and I'm debating either the Kangke Monocoupe or the Pacific Aero Gee Bee Y. Any ideas which is the better plane?
I have the Monocoupe with an RCS 140 gas. It's the most genital flying plane I own, it's actually easier to fly than the trainer. With flaps down it will fly sooo slow it's almost funny. Does beautiful, graceful loops and spins. Strongly recommended. I'm building a set of 45-inch floats for it, should make a great water bug
Old 05-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Bearzilla
My Feedback: (17)

Originally posted by OUTCAST
I have the Monocoupe with an RCS 140 gas. It's the most genital flying plane I own, it's actually easier to fly than the trainer. With flaps down it will fly sooo slow it's almost funny. Does beautiful, graceful loops and spins. Strongly recommended. I'm building a set of 45-inch floats for it, should make a great water bug
Thanks Outcast!

I just ordered the Kangke Monocoupe from Chief Aircraft this afternoon based on your and others good reports.

I really like Saito engines and Chief was recommending either the Saito 1.7 3-Cyl Radial or a Saito 1.80. The 1.80 is a lot more cost efficient ($695 vs. $395) but the radial supposedly sounds droolingly cool. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Anyone know anything about the radial?
Old 05-30-2003, 08:51 PM
fheppenheimer
My Feedback: (11)

re Bearzilla's qns about engines for super kraft Kangke monocoupe: There is a thread on RCU where Dick Pettit recommends (at least the sound of) the Saito 1.70 triple radial. Someone else said that the 1.80 would overpower it and I think the Kangke site recommends the Saito 1.50. I may buy this plane and won't go gas, so I'm very interested in the answers to these qns. Maybe the qns and answers should be moved to a Kangke Monocoupe thread.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:22 PM
jbflier

Default SnowOwl

Thanks for referring Saturn Hobbies and their CA glues. I have heard of them, but never any results or claims. I will give them a call........
Old 05-31-2003, 01:32 AM
toy264

Default ARF"s

I'll put in a good word for Jamara's GeeBee R2. Great Fiberglass cowl and pants, and very well built and covered. German/Chinese instruction booklet was "interesting" but not really needed. Don't know who the actual manufacturer is, but by the writing on the box, it's in China. Their US web site isn't as complete as the .de one is, and I haven't a clue as to the caliber of their support. But as I said, the kit quality was outstanding.
John
Old 05-31-2003, 12:25 PM
bbbair

Well I guess I'll have to be the dissenting point of view;
I like Vmar.

I'll have to agree with a number of you lads though... they are not the best bird on the market; but I like them. They are inexpensive and (for me) they work. I have flown them, crashed, rebuilt and recovered them they are a great series of planes.

So lets qualify this story. In the past 3 years I have aquired five (and still have 4) Vmar planes. The workmanship has been less than perfect and the control horns are poor quality.

But let's keep it in perspective, these planes cost less than any other ARF out there, you don't buy these planes to compete internationally, and to replace the control horns is not hard or expensive.

These are the planes that you give to a beginner, or someone on a budget, or someone who goes through a plane per week. If you are looking for perfecton pull out your charge card and don't wince (even when you plant the bird).

Vmar may be on the lower end of the ARF scale, but they do fill a space in the modelling world and they sell thousands of planes a year... they can't be all that bad.

As I read through this thread I think that you guys are busy comparing Apples to Oranges.

The best ARF? for who? what yard stick are you using? It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Mack truck, both are great vehicles but what were you trying to do, pick up a date or move a mountain?
Old 05-31-2003, 02:01 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

BBBair........that was a great reply. Why not start two new threads....Best arf UNDER $250.00 and one $250.00 +. Never had a V-Mar. I have had Clancy Aviation, Lanier, Great Planes all of these were built great. Most of mine are on the small size except the Lanier Stinger 60. I think that was built very well, covering was excelent but the hardware was not up to par.

I would like to know if any of you have owned a Ford Flivver with the 72" wing span. That is in ARF that I like the looks of. Any inf wold be great. How is Northeast Sailplanes? Is it a reputable company? Seems like they have a lot of ARF kits.

I ordered a wing for my Lazy Bee ARF from Hobby People and came in with three of the wing spars broken. Their packing was piss poor and I expected better from such a large company.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:24 PM
adrian-RCU

bbbair - yep must agree what is good for you and me might not work for others but at least be fair and go for the apples to apples.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:27 PM
imsofaman

OK......let's define "apples".......are we talking the $300.00+ apples?
Old 05-31-2003, 02:46 PM
adrian-RCU

in todays market i would go 100$/150/200/300/500/750/1000.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Cdallas2

Default Re: BEST ARF'S?

Originally posted by jbflier
I CAN ONLY PUT TOGETHER ARF'S BECAUSE OF ALLERGIES TO CA GLUES.
If your problems are allergies check this out. http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ight=wood+glue

Don't let your allergies force you to miss out on one of the best parts of this hobby..
Old 05-31-2003, 03:40 PM
OUTCAST

Originally posted by bbbair
Well I guess I'll have to be the dissenting point of view;
I like Vmar.
The fact that it goes up and comes down, does not make it a good plane. The fact that it's cheap, does not make it worth the money. Yes they have very pretty trim and covering, so do my paper dinner plates. Planes are supposed to fly, it's there only purpose and unless they do it well there not worth owning. As an instructor I have, and still do, fly Vmar products. I can tell you with absolute certainty they are not even close to Kangke, World, and Yellow. It is much easier to teach any level from beginner to advanced when you have a plane that performs to the required standard, and in my opinion they are not even close.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:12 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will ave to agree with many of you in regards to Kyosho quality. My Spitfire is a magnificent piece of work. Awesome build quality and fit and finish. Very pleased with it. I have also built Hanger 9's 40 size CAP and its great. My World Models Mustang was nice as well.

Kyosho
World Models
Hangar 9

cant speak for Great Planes yet :stupid:
Old 05-31-2003, 08:07 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

The Dave Patrick Edge 540T is the nicest ARF I have seen to date. I also have a Pacific Aeromodels Gee Bee Y and the quality is very nice as well. I had a Sig Extra 300XS. I didnt build it, it sure flew nice.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:19 AM
bbbair

Originally posted by OUTCAST
The fact that it goes up and comes down, does not make it a good plane. The fact that it's cheap, does not make it worth the money. Yes they have very pretty trim and covering, so do my paper dinner plates. Planes are supposed to fly, it's there only purpose and unless they do it well there not worth owning. As an instructor I have, and still do, fly Vmar products. I can tell you with absolute certainty they are not even close to Kangke, World, and Yellow. It is much easier to teach any level from beginner to advanced when you have a plane that performs to the required standard, and in my opinion they are not even close.
I have never seen a kangke but I have ownen a Yellow (it was wonderful) but what I said was;
" they are not the best bird on the market; but I like them. They are inexpensive and (for me) they work. I have flown them, crashed, rebuilt and recovered them they are a great series of planes.

So lets qualify this story. In the past 3 years I have aquired five (and still have 4) Vmar planes. The workmanship has been less than perfect and the control horns are poor quality.

But let's keep it in perspective, these planes cost less than any other ARF out there, you don't buy these planes to compete internationally, and to replace the control horns is not hard or expensive. "

All of the Vmars that I have owned, flew very well. Yes they needed some love/help. But I new that when I bought them (the price I paid dictated that), but for the shear love of flying (on a budget) I do not believe they can be beat.

Yes; there are better birds out there, but at what price?

Pick your apple, not my Orange.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:27 AM
imsofaman

You have a way with words.........I agree with the budget plane. I was also thinking of buy a VMar just as a " so what if it crashes" type of plane. What were some of the "loving" touches that you gave your VMars when they came in? Hitting all the joints with CA? Could you lighten them any? I hear they have a somewhat high wing load? That is just the talk at my feild. Most of them are old farts with closed minds anyway. I am very interested in how to bring a VMar closer to air worthiness..............without going over budget!

Dave
Old 06-01-2003, 04:23 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I will have to defend the vmar fans as well.

I have to agree for the price its hard to find a decent bird other than trainers so its nice to know that anyone with half decent building skills can purchase one, prep it accordingly and have a fine flying machine for the price of a trainer. im in the same boat where I cant afford the ones id really like to get so I end up buying used or finding inexpensive ones. kudos VMAR for helping us out.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:58 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

To those of you who might be duped into buying a VMAR by such justification ploys as the one above stating that they are inexpensive, don't do it. Better to save your money till you can afford a decent kit than to risk your time, engine and radio on one of these pieces of crap!!!!! YES I DO SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE! Don't make me relive the horrors of war with this worthless piece of sheet. Just don't do it!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2003, 01:24 AM
imsofaman

Manfred.......which plane did you have and what exactly was your experience? I do not want you to relive your nightmare.....but some first hand knowledge of what are the problems with these planes would be helpful. So far I have heard they have crappy wood, the landing gear is not secured within the wings and high wing loading. That is not very favorable so far......so please.... give us your story.

Dave
Old 06-02-2003, 02:20 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Default Kangke

If we are looking for quality at a very reasonable price, I vote for Kangke products. Fit and finish is second to none. Covered in Ultracote (Oracover),
it's the only barf I've had that didn't require any work to the covering. The hinge slots are very precise, the hardware was good, and they look and fly great. Also,good customer support if you should need any.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:50 PM
OUTCAST

Originally posted by MANFRED
To those of you who might be duped into buying a VMAR by such justification ploys as the one above stating that they are inexpensive, don't do it. Better to save your money till you can afford a decent kit than to risk your time, engine and radio on one of these pieces of crap!!!!! YES I DO SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE! Don't make me relive the horrors of war with this worthless piece of sheet. Just don't do it!!!!!!!!!
Manford, don't bother trying to convince people on this point. It has been my experience that most can't tell the difference between a good flying Edge and one thats a toad, and some don't care. It's best to just giggle and move on.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:54 PM
imsofaman

And once again........you can tell what part of the country someone is from by their lack of manners and respect. I am glad I was not born and raised in Jersey, I just happened to move there! Your arrogance is something that should be dealt with in therapy....not on the message board if you don't mind.

I would just simply like to hear how bad Vmar is and why everyone complains about it. I will not buy one....but I am interested in what EVERYONE has to say and have respect for them for speaking their mind. I can tell the difference between a good flying plane and a toad, I also can spot an arrogant a## hole who thinks he is just a little above everyone else. Have a nice day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.