Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 F6F Hellcat 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 F6F Hellcat 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
chuck993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 F6F Hellcat 60

Tony:

what is this in reference to?

Do you search on here for the H9 Hellcat. There are been some guys reporting h-stab failures. Most H9 Hellcat owners that I have heard from recommend beefing up the h-stab.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM
jjkirby
My Feedback: (20)

I can highly suggest beefing up the pushrod tubes going through the fuse.. iv seen two of these planes die because of the lack of support the tubes have and in the air the one little support can come loose and you will lose all control of your elevator and rudder. In my plane I made a second plywood bracket for the tubes behind the factory one and epoxied it in place. VERY simple and highly recommended. There is a video on youtube of a crash from not having enough support for the factory tubes. Otherwise fantastic airplane.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chuck993, not sure what you mean. There have been some guys who have flown the H9 Hellcat that have had h-stab failures.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 AM
wl7cpa

Hi,

Jumping into this blog to share my H9 Hellcat experience.

Purchsed for $650 RTF with an Evolution 26, all servos and Century Jet retracts. Both retracts and engine work fine and overall happy with the combination.

Unhappy parts just in case you are thinking about the Evolution. Don't! Too heavy, requires "c" cells in the butt of the plane to balance, and even then it doesn't. Landings are not floaters, you need to race in at 1/4 throttle, cut power in ground effect, and use about 80% expo with 3/4 inch elevator movement to nail your landings. Carrier landings not possible. Not a huge problem, just a learning curve. Nose heavy is nose heavy. Also, the cowling is perfectly in the way of the choke lever and butterfly, making it impossible to choke. Requires instalation of a choke servo and tiny tiny fingers, not which I own. So I use a syringe and squirt fuel into the throat wide open and pops on the second shot.

Once in the air, it sounds and looks awesome. Many people have commented on the realism with both sound and looks. Nice slow rolls, loops, immelmans, etc.

If I can help any of you with flying, etc, blog. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 AM
wl7cpa

I don't hav the support and plan to add another couple supports in the tail. Here is why: my trim on the elevator changes from flight to flight. I have a feeling the pushrods are floating in there and changes the position of the trim. It is very sensitive and assuming and hoping this is the problem. I also think the connectors are a little cheesy for this size model.Wouldn't hurt to upgrade the connectors. My friend steve reinforced the stab to cut back on vibration.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Saito 100 on my H9 Hellcat. When the weight on this plane is kept to a minimum it flies like a dream.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
TURBINATOR

ORIGINAL: wl7cpa

Hi,

Jumping into this blog to share my H9 Hellcat experience.

Purchsed for $650 RTF with an Evolution 26, all servos and Century Jet retracts. Both retracts and engine work fine and overall happy with the combination.

Unhappy parts just in case you are thinking about the Evolution. Don't! Too heavy, requires "c" cells in the butt of the plane to balance, and even then it doesn't. Landings are not floaters, you need to race in at 1/4 throttle, cut power in ground effect, and use about 80% expo with 3/4 inch elevator movement to nail your landings. Carrier landings not possible. Not a huge problem, just a learning curve. Nose heavy is nose heavy. Also, the cowling is perfectly in the way of the choke lever and butterfly, making it impossible to choke. Requires instalation of a choke servo and tiny tiny fingers, not which I own. So I use a syringe and squirt fuel into the throat wide open and pops on the second shot.

Once in the air, it sounds and looks awesome. Many people have commented on the realism with both sound and looks. Nice slow rolls, loops, immelmans, etc.

If I can help any of you with flying, etc, blog. Good luck!

Hey Roger,
I'm the guy that sold you the Hellcat you so graciously are referring to. I like how you are overall happy with the plane but felt the need to leave me a poor rating for things out of my control. Mainly your inability to fly warbirds. You state how the plane isn't a "floater". This is not mean to float. If you want float, buy an RC boat. It's a warbird for crying out loud. You complain about the choke being inaccessible like I had a hand in the design of this motor. If you want access, fly it with the cowl off. Who uses "C" cells to balance planes with anyway? You state you have 30+ years of flying experience but don't look much older that 30 years old to begin with. I guess you had a transmitter placed in your crib. Maybe in 30 more years, you'll actually learn how to fly. Even if the plane was left out of the equation for the sale, you got a $450 motor that runs perfect, $300 retracts, two NiMh batteries with heavy duty switches, Spektrum DS 821 servoss. Add all that up and your still ahead by far.
http://www.sarasotarc.com/images/cmm...s/IMG_1298.JPG Here is a copy of your flight scores from a local fly-in in case anyone has a question about this guy's flying ability. C+ rated pilot at best Huh? I like how somehow you feel you are good enough to give advice on this forum with scores like that. Next time you ruin somebodys rating make sure you can back it up.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying my H9 Hellcat now for about 6 months (I got it in a trade). The plane itself is about 2 years old. But, instead of the big gas engine, I went the other way and put in a OS .61 FX. With this engine, it is not a rocket, but flies in a very scale manner, to include nice big loops and good rolls. It still has the factory retracts, of which I have never had a problem. It is not quite a floater on landing, but will do a nice three point. It just has to flown in with a little speed. It might do a little better with a .75 2S up front, but the .61 still does the trick. I have not noticed any trouble with the rear stab, and just for good measure, fiberglased the firewall before installing the engine. I have spend some time adding addtional detailing and overall it is a good handling plane.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
wl7cpa

So, all the things I listed are true obviously. When you sell a plane disclose all that is wrong. That is my only point. Buyers should be aware. You can attack me personally all you want. But what I state is just the facts. Have a nice life.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
YogoBlue
My Feedback: (17)

Roger,
Come on. Your blowing things out of proportion here. Let me make a brief introduction. I fly with Jeff every weekend he is a senior member at our field and my experience with RC dates back 18 or so years. I can tell you that he is very meticulous with his aircraft and makes most of my stuff look 2nd rate, and my stuff consists of BUSA 1/3 Sopwith, Gee Bee's, 1/3 Pitts, 103" Extras, Edges, and More. (point being I dont build or fly trash) His attention to detail is second to none and I have learned alot from him. While I have not flown that exact Hellcat, I have seen it fly no less than a dozen times, setup the exact same way, with and without the Century Retracts. Yeah, it lands hot, it a warbird with a far cry from a 60 on it, yes the choke is not easily accessible, did the airframe need to be modified for the retracts? YES

Basically I am providing first hand account of the fact that the plane was just fine and a very cool flyer with the power and sound as you remarked. If the wing spar was removed dont you think that big ole evo would rip the wing off? I am not trying to bash you, and Jeff is upset because he is the one guy at the field that builds, flys, and delivers QUALITY stuff. I only attest to the fact that he is right. Hes upset too Im sure because he strives for a perfect rating. Not to delve into peoples personal life but he is also a Professional and upstanding citizen in the community. If you knew his line of work you would be ahamed to say that he did the "wrong" thing to any airframe. He would not be out to rip someone off, or dupe you at all.

Here is the point that frankly pisses me off. You shoot him the bad rating, comments... maybe deserved, but the rating is POOR. You have a used plane that flew well here, flown the plane more than once yourself, rebalanced it, liked it, havent crashed it, still have it, got a pretty good deal for just components alone and you leave someone a POOR rating? I dont get it.

I guess expectation of disclosure here is far past what I provide. If you want things done YOUR way, buy them new and you will always get what you expect! I purchased many a plane up here and yeah expectation is always far better than the deliverables. Thats what I call USED and why you get the deals. Otherwise its spending 6 grand on an airframe and driving to see it first.

Im sure your a good guy Roger as most are in this hobby, but I would suggest you think of a few things before shooting someone a poor rating that has 100% prior to your remarks. Save that one for some piece of crap and someone that wouldnt take your emails post sale for help.

Oh and good luck next time at the fun fly... IM JOKING!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
flystright
My Feedback: (13)

Hi What do you think? Been reading a lot of post on the H9 Hellcat 60 about the problems they are having with firewalls Hot glued and pushrods unsupported. I been thinking about changing the rudder to a pull-pull system, would like to know if eanybody used this setup on this plane if do you have any pictures, would like to see how to setup properley. Have not used this system before.

Thanks for your Help
Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
flystright

Hi. Here is what I decided to do with this plane. Read all the Post and reviews on the H9 Hellcat 60, from many different web sites. This plane is a very nice plane but some of the planes have some factory issues but not all of them it just depends on how you set it up. The problems that everybody has been talking about is the firewall being hot glued in instead of epoxy, the pushrod tubes not being supported properly, and the low grade control horn components.

So this is what I decided to do.

First being a new bee, not knowing how to remove the firewall with tearing up the plane, I’m going to use epoxy and 1/2oz fiberglass and blocking around the firewall on the inside of the fuselage to help support it from pulling out.

Secondly I will be changing the supplied horns to a different style using (Adjustable Control Horns from Du-Bro #493) on all locations. Just easier for me to install.

Thirdly I’m will be relocating the Elevators servo to the tail of the plane this will get read of the pushrod tubing and help me with balancing adding weight to the tail of the plane. The reason for this is that I’m using the G20 engine with its own battery, (front heavy) I been told for my setup.

Fourthly I will be going with a pull-pull system on the rudder, less slop, better control, also getting read of the rudder pushrod (Du-BRO #881 Heavy Duty Dual Pull-Pull System)
This is just my opinion from post, reviews and searches I have read on this plane over all it’s a great flying plane from opinion of others.

If you have any comments or Help, Please post a reply.

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Good luck with your modifications, I hope they work for you. FYI, 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth is used for surface preparation prior to painting, not for structural reinforcement. Maybe you meant 2 oz cloth?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
flystright

No 1/2 oz is all I have handy. Still learning what to use what. Thanks for your advice, Will see if my LHS has some in stock.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 PM
chuck993

how long does it take to put this plane together?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
skorman

ORIGINAL: chuck993

how long does it take to put this plane together?
I put mine together in 1 week of evenings. Minimal cutting is required on the cowl and everything goes together beautifully.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
queasyflier
My Feedback: (6)

Just building my H9 Hellcat with an OS 91FX. I'm using the Spektrum 2.4 with the 2 RX modules. Have any of you used this radio? If so, where have you placed the RX modules in fuse?
Thanx,
Queasyflier
Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 AM
skorman

ORIGINAL: queasyflier

Just building my H9 Hellcat with an OS 91FX. I'm using the Spektrum 2.4 with the 2 RX modules. Have any of you used this radio? If so, where have you placed the RX modules in fuse?
Thanx,
Queasyflier
Here is a picture of my install.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19078.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1374239  
Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Flyboyxc
My Feedback: (2)

Hey ,
  I was just wondering how well this plane flies with a pretty standard .91 four stroke under the cowl?.. I just got this ARF NIB for 200 dollars !!!!!!  Anyway, I have an ASP .91FS I am thinking about putting in her.  Will this be sufficient as far as decent performance...  I have read a couple reviews and have decided to go ahead and put more epoxy on the firewall joints for reinforcement, as far as the pushrods go I'll have to wait and see how durable they are going through the fuse..anybody got any suggestions on anything before I begin?

thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 AM
skorman

My Hellcat flies great with a Saito 100. Your 91 will fly it fine. I built mine pretty much stock except I substituted DuBro metal pin clevises for the included plastic ones. I also have Lado electric retracts installed. Make sure there is no binding with the stock retracts and they will be fine. The stock pushrods have worked well for the past 2 years with no problems. You're going to love the way the Hellcat flies. Not like a typical warbird at all. Very hard to stall, it just floats in on landings and sets down on the mains. Makes you look like you know what you're doing.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Flyboyxc

Hey guys I was just wondering, if anyone has a set of decent aftermarket retracts that I could drop in my Hellcat? The stock gear is getting to be pretty old and i'm beginning to have more and more problems with it. I would gladly be willing to pay shipping and hear any offer you may have as to pricing, just to let you know I pay in personal check usually so you can send the retract out after the check clears, hopefully you won't mind this kind of classic payment :] I just want a better looking and quality gear that doesn't require as much tweaking everytime out to the field. Any suggestions as to whats the best gear to drop in would be appreciated too, I'm gonna have to get a new pair soon I'm afraid anyway.

Thanks Guys!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:12 AM
skorman

I am using Lado electric rotating retracts in my Hellcat and they are flawless. The company was not producing them for a while but they seem to have come back and are back in production. You can find them at http://www.lado-tech.net/products.php?cat=5 . Currently they are out of stock but should be available in the near future.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Flyboyxc

Thanks for some feedback Skorman. Is this the pair your using from lado:RS 333-RB Rotating for H9 PAIR ( Link here: www.lado-tech.net/proddetail.php)? All I need to do after ordering these is get struts and a servo right? i will only need to plug the servo into the receiver and everything will still operate off my 5 cell 6V battery pack for the receiver?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:12 PM
thedeeman

No servo needed with electric retracts. They plug right into receiver (with a Y connector). But LADO has been inconsistent over the last year. The company was sold to someone in France who is trying to get things up and running again. But nothing has come out of the new arranagement yet. More and more people are reporting that their 12 month old orders are finally getting filled. But if you can wait about a month, Horizon will be coming out with their electric retracts. And since they have a few warbirds that use the rotating retracts, you can guarantee the electric rotating's they have will be a "drop in" fit to replace the mechanicals. BTW, the Hellcat is a great airplane. I have one that's been flown about 35 flights since building it last year about this time. I did have a horizontal stab failure 2 months ago but was able to land the plane with no damage. The stab basically split in half. Upon pulling off the covering, I found the stab isn't glued very well on any of the ribs. So I added a little epoxy on all the joints and recovered it. Since then it's been fine. I recommend this plane to everyone who's interested in their first real warbird that looks good flying and flies easy enough to learn how to fly a bigger plane.