Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

YAK 54 Phoenix Models

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

YAK 54 Phoenix Models

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YAK 54 Phoenix Models

I purchased a Phoenix Models Yak 54 ARF kit. In my opinion this kit is not for the faint of heart. The instructions are vague. This kit should be assembled by someone with building experience.

Wheel pants mounting: If mounted as per instructions the pants can pivot on the axle. I added in plywood plates and sunk in some blind nuts and mounted them proper. (see pics)

Engine mount: I threw away the one that came with the kit and used a DUBRO vibration reducing engine mount. In order to make this work I had to cut and epoxy in plywood to the rear side of the firewall thru the weak balsa tunnel that they incorporated for the stock muffler configuration. The reason is because the firewall is multi-layered but not constant. (see pics)

The stock engine mounting location and was to have the cylinder clocked 45 degrees down so a stock muffler could be used. (Who wants that anyways?) I side mounted my new Supretigre 61 and used a Slimline pitts muffler. YES!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33791.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1243245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13009.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1243246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36553.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1243247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47076.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1243248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43477.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1243249  
Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YAK 54 Phoenix Models

Also, I felt compelled to perform a fiberglass lay-up on the inside of the louvered baffle. I did this for 2 reasons. The instructions say to epoxy this baffle in but there is nowhere for the glue to bear in and sooner than later it would fall off and make a mess in the air I'm sure. So I glassed it in covering all the "holes/louveres" because I didn't want all that cooling air to be random, but rather, focused on the cylinder for better cooling.

Fuel tank: This should be helpful as nowhere in the instruction manual or box does it state how much fuel she will hold. Using a cylinder and rectangle volume formulas I was able to calculate that the tank has 20.40 cubic inches inside, converted to fluid ounces @ 11.3

Another item of choice will be to move the rudder servo to the rear on the side to counteract the heavier engine. The supretigre 61 is 7 ounces heavier than an OS 46 FX. Measures have to be taken. I still may have to cut in a rear hatch for adding tail weight. More pics on the way as build progresses...stay tuned.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:58 PM
thorn247
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YAK 54 Phoenix Models

how does she fly?