Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 PM
flyboy0608

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Glad I'm not your neighbor !!!,....LOL......

Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
flyboy0608

I've run my engine at around 8:30AM and I feel bad doing it. 1AM,...I'd kill you for sure !!!....LOL

Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyboy0608

I've run my engine at around 8:30AM and I feel bad doing it. 1AM,...I'd kill you for sure ! ! !....LOL

I did not try to run the engine at 1 am of course. [X(]I did that at about 1 pm. Last night at 1 am I finallay got my plane finished and made the jest "I wonder if the neighbors would mind me test running the engine?" Thats a couple of posts up from here.

Bottom line it is very frustrating to have a new engine that wont run[:'(] I was led to a step by step trouble shooting method for the ignition in the Gas engine forum so hopefully tommorow afternoon I will at least know what is wrong.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Slow and Steady

Stang, These engines sometimes come from the factory with the low end to lean. I would richen it a quarter to half turn and try again - it has worked for me, and two engines wouldn't start until I richened the carb. It also may take a few flips for the walbro to fill before it sends fuel to the cylinder. I can't believe a brand new ignition module would be bad from the factory, but who knows.

Carz, I didn't think of this muffler fix until I was on my 3rd pitts, after breaking the first two. By the way. If you stuff a paper towel in the muffler pipe, it will contain any filings that might end up in the muffler and fuel tank. After you make the cut, just pull out the paper towel, along with trapped filings. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

Stang, These engines sometimes come from the factory with the low end to lean. I would richen it a quarter to half turn and try again - it has worked for me, and two engines wouldn't start until I richened the carb. It also may take a few flips for the walbro to fill before it sends fuel to the cylinder. I can't believe a brand new ignition module would be bad from the factory, but who knows.
Well, the ignition modual is fine I found out after running some trouble shooting on it. I was spinning the engine over with a Sullivan Hi-Torque starter to the point I was getting raw fuel out of the exhaust. After some investigation I found the problem is the magnet on the flywheel has no magnatizm. I got the ignition to spark by removing the hal sensor and tapping it with a good magnet. The magnet on my fly wheel wont hold the tiniest piece of metal I can find. I ordered a new flywheel from BHHobbies tonight and hope to have it in the next 5 days or so.

On another note, I just dropped an offer on a Syssa 30 But if accepted that will go into my 60.5in Carl Goldberg Ultimate
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Sbach342Guy

What an awesome day of flying. It was really cloudy but next to no wind at all. I think today was a break through kind of day. My flights are normally oval flight paths with the occasional KE, loop, roll, hammerhead, etc. For some reason today I kinda didn't care if I dumped the plane. There was no defined flight path today. I was pretty much pointing it in all kinds of directions getting views of the plane at angles I've never (purposely) seen before. It was pretty exciting and has certainly really raised my comfort level with this plane. Felt like I could make the plane do whatever I wanted it to do.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: DonLEmmel

What an awesome day of flying. It was really cloudy but next to no wind at all. I think today was a break through kind of day. My flights are normally oval flight paths with the occasional KE, loop, roll, hammerhead, etc. For some reason today I kinda didn't care if I dumped the plane. There was no defined flight path today. I was pretty much pointing it in all kinds of directions getting views of the plane at angles I've never (purposely) seen before. It was pretty exciting and has certainly really raised my comfort level with this plane. Felt like I could make the plane do whatever I wanted it to do.
Were you flying your Rev 70? I flew mine quite a bit today. Was a fantastic day here. The last three days have been very nice weather in our parts.

The Revolver 70 is without a doubt one of the smoothest ships in the sky! I can take my Extra 260 and fly and fly and it just does not "appear" as a smooth flying bird as the Revolver 70.

I even hear comments from the guys back at the pits while I am flying the Rev 70. Comments like, "Wow...that is one smooth flying plane and looks nice in the air." I hardly ever get the same type of comments when flying the Extra 260. Someone might comment about my style of flying but never the smoothness of the plane. I could understand if the comments were about two different pilots, but I am flying both planes. I even notice it myself [8D]
Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Sbach342Guy

Yep, I had the R70 out today. I get plenty of comments just about every time I fly it. The same comments from just about everyone. They comment on how pretty it is and how smooth it flies. They also can't believe how fast it is with the .61 in it. You can fly it like a trainer or have fun with some serious sport flying. I'm not a 3D guy so no clue how it does in that department. I think the "twitchiness" comes from the plane being 3D capable. My Edge 540 is far from being smooth but it is capable of things the R70 just isn't designed to do.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:54 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

DonEmmel - congrats on your great flying day. Don't you just love it when everything clicks? Great weather, great field, the plane is cooking and you feel dialed it... LOVE that. Right now I'm a bit RC-frustrated - beautiful weather here in lower NY for the past few days (after all the rain), but I'm busy getting ready to move into a new apt in two week. Unreal how much STUFF I've gathered after living here for 8 years. And LOTS of it is RC related! I know the new apt will be packed until I hang all my planes on the new walls.

Also frustrated that the rebuild of my Rev 70 \ DLE 20 has been put on hold. Can't wait to get that plane back in the air. And I also get lots of positive feedback from others at the field on this plane and engine combo.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: microdon2
Also frustrated that the rebuild of my Rev 70 \ DLE 20 has been put on hold. Can't wait to get that plane back in the air. And I also get lots of positive feedback from others at the field on this plane and engine combo.
I know the feeling. Tomorrow and Sunday are to be gorgeous days but I probably won't get to fly. My wife had her thyroid taken out yesterday and will be more-or-less bed ridden the next couple of days. I'm not even mentioning our clubs last event for the season, which is on Sunday. Good thing is the surgery went well and she is recovering quickly. After to great day of flying I had last week I can't wait to get back out and fly the R70 again. I've also got a finished Extreme Flight MSX-EXP that is ready to be maidened.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 AM
afjetmech

Finally got my new airframe but time issues have also been keeping my rebuild at a crawl. But, Ireally can't complain. It's because of a new relationship with the woman who moved into the apartment behind me. I am finally (but thankfully) seeing the constraints that love can put on this hobby. Also appreciating the benefits that quality time spent on both can be very rewarding. Looking forward to taking advantage of this thread now to make this Revolver even better than the first and NOT trying any tricky crosswind landings beyond my skill level.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Slow and Steady

Don, Best wishes for you and your wife. The Rev 70 can waite!!

Afjetmech, There are other priorities in life, as Don and I can attest to. There are rumors at my field that this hobby has hurt some marriages; not so much the hobby as the wrong priority.

Good luck to both of you!!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
flyboy0608

Hey guys,...

I couldn't help but to reply on this one. This one hits home for me,...litereally. The passionI have for this hobby has in many occasions caused me to spend countless hours in my garage building or repairing planes. And this has caused some heted arguments between my wife and I. Very heated. Not only because it is a very expensive hobby which somethimes hurts our financial situation, but also the time we dedicate to this hobby overall. I have had no choice but to acknowlege that I dedicate too much time to the hobby and sometimes not enough to my wife and kids. For those of us who love this hobby as much as I do, it is very difficult sometimes to accept this fault cause to us it just seems normal to spend time with our planes. We must stand back and re-evaluate our lives and make sure that we are not hurting the people we love. This has been very hard for me to accept but I have acknowleged my fault and have then since began to divide my time more fairly with my family of love ones and family of planes. Hope this has helped others as it has helped me. Good luck to all of you.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
microdon2

flyboy - very well said. I'm not in a relationship but my son say's I"m obsessed about the planes, so I have to be careful not to spend too much time paying attention to the planes when he's around (which isn't often enough). On the other hand, from what I've seen and heard many women look at ANY amount of time and money spent on this hobby as a waste of time and money, as competition for "their" time and money. (Maybe one reason I'm still single!) But we have heard from guys on this and other threads whose wives are very understanding. I'm looking for one of those!! (not one that's married already, though...)
Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But we have heard from guys on this and other threads whose wives are very understanding. I'm looking for one of those!! (not one that's married already, though...)
Good luck with that. My wife of 12 years tolerates it - but just. When she starts to give me grief i remind her that I could go back to racing cars again where a weekend of racing would cost me what all of my planes combined would cost and life is good for a few more months. On the other hand, I'm not a irresponsible idiot and hit the credit card every time I want something. I save a bit here and there and buy what I need.

And in keeping with the subject of this thread, I flew my R70 today. Its got a Saito 100 and man, what a good combo this plane/engine are. Light and powerful. On my third flight I had some sweat mixed with sunscreen drop into my left eye and set it on fire. Had tears streaming down my cheek and trying to get the thing on the ground a quick as I could. Had to make three fly arounds (which is rare for me and this plane) but I got it down but ripped the tail wheel out of it on the roll back after it hit an armadillo divot! GRRRRRR!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Sbach342Guy

My wonderful wife practically kicked me out of the house so I could go to my clubs last Fly In of the season. I went up to my other field to maiden my new plane w/o an audience. Ummm, maidening a 3D plane on a windy day when it was apparently REALLY tail heavy is not fun. I don't considered myself an advanced flyer by any stretch of the imagination but I have to admit it wasn't luck that brought that plane down safely. It took a few "exciting" flights to get the CG set right. So I never really got to "fly" it. It's trimmed and CG is roughly set so I packed up to head to my other clubs Fly In. They has a really good turn out. So much so that I didn't even bother digging out the R70 or any other plane. There were too many people watching for my taste. Oh, I'm finally considering a bigger engine for my R70. I've got two good seasons of flying in using the ST 60 and I'm finally outgrowing it. I don't really care much about the actual top speed but I'd like more vertical. I can't get enough vertical with it to feel like I could safely try a flat spin.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:36 PM
microdon2

Don Emmel - are you thinking DLE 20, by any chance?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 AM
Sbach342Guy

I can't even consider the DLE-20. My primary club has a 95db noise limit and that engine is really loud. The "muffler" that comes with it is really nothing more than something to direct the exhaust. If I remember correctly the DLE-20 clocks in a little of 100db. So, I'll probably be sticking with nitro. The Super Tigre 90 seems like a good candidate but it might be a bit more than I really want.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 AM
wjcalhoun

Don
I had an OS AX 1.20 2s on my R70, and its performance, including vertical, was spirited. I'm looking forward to finishing the build of my new R70 with a DLE 20. COuld you try a different muffler? Gas is so much nicer.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I can't even consider the DLE-20. My primary club has a 95db noise limit and that engine is really loud. The ''muffler'' that comes with it is really nothing more than something to direct the exhaust. If I remember correctly the DLE-20 clocks in a little of 100db. So, I'll probably be sticking with nitro. The Super Tigre 90 seems like a good candidate but it might be a bit more than I really want.
I haven't looked but maybe there is an aftermarket muffler available that would fall in under your noise restriction? Just a thought, but it might be worth checking into.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM
SpinnerRow

Well, ripped the CA hinges on one of the ailerons of my R70. Got it down safely but looks like it is time for some pin hinges. Man, I love this plane!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 AM
microdon2

SpinnerRow - congrats on getting it down safely. Turns out you CAN fly this plane with only one aileron! (have had the same experience). Good thing it wasn't an elevator. THOSE you need.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
SpinnerRow

SpinnerRow - congrats on getting it down safely. Turns out you CAN fly this plane with only one aileron! (have had the same experience). Good thing it wasn't an elevator. THOSE you need.
Yea, no doubt!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I can't even consider the DLE-20. My primary club has a 95db noise limit and that engine is really loud. The ''muffler'' that comes with it is really nothing more than something to direct the exhaust. If I remember correctly the DLE-20 clocks in a little of 100db. So, I'll probably be sticking with nitro. The Super Tigre 90 seems like a good candidate but it might be a bit more than I really want.
I haven't looked but maybe there is an aftermarket muffler available that would fall in under your noise restriction? Just a thought, but it might be worth checking into.
JTEC makes some pitts style mufflers for the DLE-20 and the DLE-30. Sadly they don't get the db level down much below 100. The best way is with a canister muffler and that just isn't an option with the R70. There are ST-90's that have been converted to gas but I think they are around $400.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 PM
SpinnerRow

JTEC makes some pitts style mufflers for the DLE-20 and the DLE-30. Sadly they don't get the db level down much below 100. The best way is with a canister muffler and that just isn't an option with the R70. There are ST-90's that have been converted to gas but I think they are around $400.
I have a Jtech standard Pitts and it is noticeably quieter than the stock muffler. I also have a Jtech Compact Pitts and it is marginally quieter than the stock muffler. I also have the Valley View R/C profile side discharge muffler and much like the stock "muffler" it is more a noise diverter than a muffler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.