Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Um, back to the alum. for just a second. I made mine from a piece of roofing flashing (sheet metal)? The alum reinforcement is roughly the same size as the ply. landing gear plate, with maybe 1/2"-3/4" extra on the front - to allow that to be bent over at a 90 degree angle, and fastened to the firewall? Much lighter/tidier than a piece of extruded might be. That bend easily accomplished reasonably neatly in a vice.

The flashing is sold in rolls at HD or Lowes. It's kinda stiff, not real easy to bend with your fingers.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

flew her again today twice.  this time, engine started to misbehave, had to bring her down, tried to tune her, but no luck.  will have to tune her at home.  i think it may be glow plug.  seems like when the pressure from muffler to gas tank comes off, where it idles well, but when you accelerate, it rpm's up, then one or two senconds later, starts to rev down.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:53 PM
VictoryRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that drawing/depiction was not what I was looking for.... so dang hard to align crap, even w/ tabs or spaces...
anyway,
here is a pic of the holes I use to "pin" the nylon hinge to my two surfaces....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29164.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1832883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60130.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1832884  
Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM
VictoryRoll

Ooooo..... I have some of that.... actually in 3' X 2' sheets..... awesome idea @ahicks, thank you so much! Can you give me an idea of the size of the piece you used ? how far did you wrap(up the firewall) and (along the bottom of the fuse? All of your help is truly appreciated, and I thank you.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, and a very, very Happy & Healthy New Year!

Don
Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 PM
wjcalhoun

Don:

There are a bunch of moving parts in your post:

1 - condition of the fuse; if she has breaks or is no longer straight, have Tower replace it because it will not fly correctly. If it is just wrinkles, it gives you practice with your covering iron []
2 - anti-rotation pins not aligning. THIS IS A BIG DEAL, because the anti-rotation pins define the incidence of the wing; that needs to be RIGHT, but more important, the two sides have to be IDENTICAL. I can check mine, but i would presume with a semi-symmetrical wing, the incidence would be ZERO. To achieve that, the center of the leading edge, and the center of the trailing edge should be EXACTLY the same distance from a datum line. You can use the upper surface of the fuse between the FW and the aft end of the cockpit as your datum line. Measure carefully, set the wing so that those distances are equal, and then very carefully enlarge the AR holes until the index pins fit securely. I would use a round hand file, rather than a power tool. Repeat on the other side. If the incidence of the two wings differs, the plane will never fly correctly. You can try to trim it out, but there will be a speed sensitivity to the roll trim. BAD. Incidence could be as much as 1/2* positive. You can figure out how much higher the leading edge should be with trigonometry. {sin(1/2*) x chord length at wing root = difference between LE and TE}

IF ANYONE KNOWS THE PROPER INCIDENCE OF THE R70 WING, PLEASE LET DON KNOW!

3 - wing fit onto the carbon tube. RESIST THE URGE TO SAND THE TUBE. wax it, install and uninstall, etc. The balsa in the wing will wear slightly, and it will get easier.
4 - on the savox servos, go for it. Many of us find that dual elevator servos are worth the small amount of additional work to build mounting structure aft to hold them. Many posts detail differnt approaches, but building structure is not so hard once you get over the mental hurdle of cutting into the (perfectly good) covering aft. On a related note, use a metal gear servo for your throttle servo also; plastic gears are said not to hold up to the vibration of a gasoline engine.
5 - ailerons. You will hear different opinions here. One group may say - fly it and see; if they fail, fix it. If you are comfortable landing a plane with a sick aileron - really not too big a deal - then that may be reasonable. Not all of the CA hinges have failed. I personally cut them out, and replaced them with the 1/8" robart hinge points (your second option, only the 1/8, rather than 3/16, which are really for 29%, 50cc sized planes). I used 6; two closer together at each end of the aileron, about 4" apart from each other, and the other two (or three) spaced out. I don't personally think that you need the strength of the nylon pinned hinges (your first option). For adhesive, i recommend epoxy. I have not tried aliphatic glue, but i have tried gorilla (polyurethane) glue. i have had failures on elevators, rudders, and ailerons with gorilla, so i no longer trust it. never a failure with 30 min epoxy.

On aligning the robarts hinges - they are a bit fussy. I tape the aileron to the wing, flex it, and use a sharpie to mark both the TE of the wing and LE of the aileron at the same time - that gets me correct alignment along the length of the aileron. I bought the robarts tool. Some don't like it, but i find that it exactly centers the drill on the edge of the surface. Once you have that (position, and centering) it is just a matter of keeping the drill 90* to the TE in both directions. I counterbore the TE of the wing, so that the knuckle of the hinge point can be buried up to the pin. That helps to minimize the gap between the aileron and the wing.

I think that covers it. Best wishes for a successful build. Thanks for the well-wishes; merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family as well.

Bill

Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
wjcalhoun

Ortho
Might be lean on the low end if it stumbles on accelerartion; colder temps in LA, like in TX, mean that the air is denser, and we have to richen the needles. Might want to open the HS a touch as well.

Best

Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM
orthobird

sounds good, i will do that.

thank you
Old 12-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Ernie Misner

Free shipping on the Savox servos too.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Both revolvers 59 & 70 have LG issues. By what I hear in the 50cc thread is not better in the Big Sister.
Ortho, that is a big bird, or your daughter is really small. Make sure you come back and tell us about the maiden.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
orthobird

lopflyer, there you are! how are you? wondering where you were!!
i've been flying the revolver again.  had not flown much in past 3 months while i was working on the 40% extra.  went to maiden her yesterday, but the engine would not idle down.  even with the throttle mouth 100% closed, the motor would still run.  luckily i have a kill switch on her.  it must be some form of air leak in carb, between reed valves box and crankcase or somewhere.  will keep you posted.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM
lopflyers

Ortho, what size engine are you using on that beast?
I have not being active flying or in these pages much either lately. Women are having babies like rabbits in these part of the country.
Merry Christmas to you and your family
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Orthobird - check your carb's throttle plate - on the DLE 20's these are known to come loose and slide off-center, which prevents it from closing. Happened to mine.

Lopflyers - So you've been "busy" for the past few months and suddenly women all around you are getting pregnant? SEE what happens when you don't hit the field regularly??
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
orthobird

i hear you! Orlando is warm, you know what the warm weather can do to a woman's hormones!!!
That has a DA 170 cc engine.  2 cylinders.  gas and 2 cycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZcpe2wziE
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM
orthobird

Hi Microdon,
thank you for helping me.
i looked at throttle plate and it closes shut all the way.
i sent message to DA
tomorrow:  i will try to see that all screws holding carb are tight.
someone also suggested that i check sensor polarity.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM
lopflyers

Ortho: that sounded really sweet. I need to trade my RAM so I can fit bigger airplanes. Maybe the cold weather is affecting the LSN. It was 39 this morning here so I guess Lousiana was worse.

Microdon: I deliver them, thanks God I don't get them pregnant[X(]
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
microdon2

Orthobird -

You might also check the carb manifold - the piece between the carb and the crankcase. I've had those crack. And that your gasket hasn't broken. While running, if it's safe enough, cover the carb throat with your thumb. If it doesn't die you've got a leak somewhere.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM
orthobird

i was going to do tomorrow, but i became enthused, so i just got permission from my wife, i moved the car out from garage, and took plane out of the trailer and put her in the garage.  i will start working on her now.  i will take pictures and post,  thanks for all advice and support.  you guys are great.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
wjcalhoun

ortho
one way to diagnose leaks is with a can of spray carb cleaner, with the small tube inserted to focus the cleaner. Spray it on the outside or your carb, reed block, gasket lines, etc and around the front hub. If the engine dies, you have found a leak.

My PHP Extra engine DLE55 had that issue (i have recent F*G* and T*F*C threads) and in my case it turned out that the bearings specified by the BOCA website are incorrect, and have no seal - hence there is a big air leak through the front (and rear) bearings when i replaced the standard bearings a few weeks ago.

If your engine has been serviced, think about the possiblity that the bearing seals were either not installed, or were damaged.

Also, the obvious that you probably already checked: linkage (disconnect, and engine should die); you did keep the throttle return spring in place, right? the idle stop screw is removed?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
microdon2

WJC -

I know this is off-topic, but why did you change the bearings on your DLE 55? It' a new engine, right? (and very interesting that they could cause a leak!)

Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
orthobird

WJ,
you are a genius,
no one else suggested this
guess which one it was?
the idle stop screw was buried all the way down.
i have now removed it.

these pictures are before pics.

the diagnosis was made with these. throttle all the way down, and trim all the way down.

Name:	Zx71210.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1833249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32425.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1833250  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM
lopflyers

Yipiiiii, so can you iddle now? Post vídeos of your maiden
Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
orthobird

these are pics after low idle screw was removed.

i will try to maiden tomorrow.

i am so happy, it was a real easy fix.

thanks you all!!

Name:	Ec87849.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1833253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32189.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1833254  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Sbach342Guy

What is the best way to rebuild a broken fuse? I have new laser cut parts for the front half of the plane. Does CA debonder work well enough to separate pieces that are the glued?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
microdon2

SBach - where did you get laser cut parts for the front half of a Revolver fuse?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
orthobird

where is the break?  can you post pictures so we can see?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.