Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
ptuxbury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Thanks for the compliment.

We'll have to fly our Revolver 61s at the field together next year, although you'll have to fly yours at half throttle so I can keep up!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptuxbury

Thanks for the compliment.

We'll have to fly our Revolver 61s at the field together next year, although you'll have to fly yours at half throttle so I can keep up!
Sure 1/2 throttle , sounds like a plan. If mine survives the winter. I was hoping to get it out to the field tomorrow but that's a bit optimistic.

Since I just got laid off from work I have more free time during the day to fly .. sure .. it sounds good , but I really haven't had the time to get out much this month.

Well gents ..

almost done with this one .. just have to cut the cowl, plumb the tank and set up the radio.

I decided to go with a A123 batteries 6.6v. should power up all those digital 5945 nicely. The best thing about the A123's is it only takes 15mins to charge up the pack and it lasts a good day of flying.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:19 PM
futurepilot03
My Feedback: (5)

Wow this thread is coming along nicely! And yes I'm sure the .76 could fly it alright, but if I'm going to put out the money for the plane I kinda wanna get the most out of it. My hope with the .90 is unlimited vertical. You guys think the .90 would put out enough to do that?

Thanks for the input everyone!
And flight reports once the weather clears would be fantastic!

Tyler
Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 PM
frankeldan

with a .90 , I would say it would be cloud scraping.. I like how my .90 fits in the cowl. It looks just right to me. not too oversized and the weight is perfect.

I'll give a report once I get it finished and out to the field. Just waiting on the pitts muffler now.

Dan
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pray the weather is good for tomorrow!!! Today was a very good day, but stuck here at work and now that the time has change, no more quick flight after work.[]
If is a go for tomorrow, I will post a flight report. If it fly like the small one, its going to be a blast!!!
Stay tune!!!

Sonny
Old 11-28-2009, 07:39 AM
ptuxbury

Hmmm... winds here in CT are forecasted for 25-30 mph with gusts up to 50. Looks like you wouldn't have gotten your maiden in today anyway, Dan. Last night the wind blew my storm door open and ripped one of the hinges out!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
frankeldan

ORIGINAL: ptuxbury

Hmmm... winds here in CT are forecasted for 25-30 mph with gusts up to 50. Looks like you wouldn't have gotten your maiden in today anyway, Dan. Last night the wind blew my storm door open and ripped one of the hinges out!

yep .. no flying today. Tooo windy.. I wasn't ready with this plane yet anyway ..but wanted to get out with the new Reactor Bipe. That is the best flying bipe I have ever flown. Go into a wall and it just hovers.. amazing plane.

Heading over to brfr hobbies to pick up some goodies for the revolver. Also going to help a bud pick out some stuff there as he is new to the hobby and then back to his house to build.

Later,

Dan

Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
jet22b

Hi Guys;

Well I am packing my suv with the large revolver and heading out the the club field. I have a 10 hour window before the rain come back!! Sorry no video. The wife has the setup with her. I will post my report later tonight. I am also taking the small revolver just to have more fun!!!
Stay tune!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM
jet22b

Hi All;

Well I did get one flight on the large Revolver today and this is a keeper!! The weather was not that great. Wind was blowing at 10 to 15 mph with a 30 deg crosswind. The temp was 41 but felt 37 deg F. On the ground the plane handle very good, but with the wind the way it was all the turns was to the right, ( the crosswind was from the right ). I can back into the pit to top it off. All check done, start the engine again, taxi out to the end of the runway. Add power on the slow side and the plane start its roll. Some rudder was use to keep it on the centerline. Tail came up on its own and lift off came 5 sec later. With the crosswind to the right, the plane turn into the wind. Climb out was sweet!!! The OS 91FS has lots of power for this bird and the sound is sweet!! The flight was only 5 min long because my finger was getting cold. Trim was dead on!!! For the people who have the small revolver, you will like this, when you take the power off the big one will slow down!!! I had to add power on the first landing because I got to slow. The landing was sweet. She came in on the mains and the tail drop on its own. The best part of the day, she came back home, the same way she went to the field. I hope we have better weather tomorrow, so I can rip on her!!
Over all, this is a sweet airplane and will be a joy to fly!!!
Like I said before if you love the small Revolver, you will love this one too!
I will post more test flight report tomorrow if the weather is better than today!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Hi Sonny...Glad you were able to get "one" in....I knew you would agree, "it's a keeper"
Ed
Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
frankeldan

SOnny,

Glad tohear everything went well.
so you needed a little power to get her in

Here'sa couple more pics of my progress

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16052.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	1322435   Click image for larger version

Name:	rm37080.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1322436  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
jet22b

Day 2;

Flew the Revolver 5 times today and Ed and I was right, this is a keeper!!! This plane is not as fast as the baby Revolver, but is a joy to fly!! A few more of my club member came out today and this baby turn head!!! I let two member of my club fly it her and I had a hard time getting the TX back. One guy pull out his check book and said name my price!!
This plane is not a 3D bird, but you can have some fun. Doing knife edge is a snap. Rolls on high and low rate is a blast!! Upside down flight need a touch of down elerator. Over all, this is a sweet bird to fly and it look good in the air and on the ground!!
Now for a little bad news. They did not fix the problem with the landing gear block. On the last flight of the day it happen. ( See pictures ) This was a smooth touch down, same as the last 4 landing and the gear just let go!!![>:] As you can see in the pictures, not much wood there to hold the block in place. Oh well she will be back in the air next weekend!!
Yes this is a good plane and you will love flying it. I am thinking of buying one more and place it on the workshop shelf just in case something bad happen to this one!!
Build and fly guys. You will love it!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Vs55919.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1323246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15253.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1323247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81327.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1323248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77673.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1323249  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
mike boxtall

Sonny,
What kind of vertical do you have with your 91? I have one on order and I am tossing around in my mind either a saito 125 or a sickening saito 180. Reason for the 180 is that it is the same size as the 150. I don't want speed but I want it to accelerate vertically. I know the 125 will do well but I want awesome.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
jet22b

Mike,

The 91 do a great job at the start, BUT, the speed drop off is fast!! After the speed drop off, the plane hang on the prop for about 3 to 5 sec before she drop on her back. After the nose drop, she is flying again. Now if you have a engine that will give you a great power to weight ratio, you will have a killer on your hand. From what I have been reading about the saito motor, some have that type of power!! Maybe the 125 or 180 will give you the vertical you are looking for!!! This plane with a 4 stroke up front sound so sweet!!!!
I am repairing the gear block right now so she will be ready to fly next weekend!!
Hope this info help!!
I love this plane!!!

Sonny
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 PM
frankeldan

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Day 2;

Flew the Revolver 5 times today and Ed and I was right, this is a keeper!!! This plane is not as fast as the baby Revolver, but is a joy to fly!! A few more of my club member came out today and this baby turn head!!! I let two member of my club fly it her and I had a hard time getting the TX back. One guy pull out his check book and said name my price!!
This plane is not a 3D bird, but you can have some fun. Doing knife edge is a snap. Rolls on high and low rate is a blast!! Upside down flight need a touch of down elerator. Over all, this is a sweet bird to fly and it look good in the air and on the ground!!
Now for a little bad news. They did not fix the problem with the landing gear block. On the last flight of the day it happen. ( See pictures ) This was a smooth touch down, same as the last 4 landing and the gear just let go!!![>:] As you can see in the pictures, not much wood there to hold the block in place. Oh well she will be back in the air next weekend!!
Yes this is a good plane and you will love flying it. I am thinking of buying one more and place it on the workshop shelf just in case something bad happen to this one!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

sonny,

too bad about the gear. I hope my beef up job holds. I hate fixing gear ... Like , that was what I just came in from the workshop doing on my twist.

Sounds like it's a fun plane. I didn't expect it to be as fast as it's smaller cousin. The fuse is pretty hefty.

so more on the langings.. Does it settle on final or do you have to grease it in every time?

Still waiting on the Pitts Muffler so I can finish this model off.

Later,

Dan
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 PM
mike early

That's exactly what my smaller revolver looked like after a less-than-perfect landing. Along with some holes in the bottom wing covering....

I probably added 4-5 ounces of weight in wood and epoxy to repair it. It won't happen again.

They should have fixed it in this new version. Maybe they don't actually fly their planes enough...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Day 2;

Sonny
aka
jet22b

sonny,

too bad about the gear. I hope my beef up job holds. I hate fixing gear ... Like , that was what I just came in from the workshop doing on my twist.

Sounds like it's a fun plane. I didn't expect it to be as fast as it's smaller cousin. The fuse is pretty hefty.

so more on the langings.. Does it settle on final or do you have to grease it in every time?

Still waiting on the Pitts Muffler so I can finish this model off.

Later,

Dan
Dan,

Just like yesterday on the first landing today I let the plane get to slow, but the landing was smooth. At the pits, I top her off and I sit thinking what I was doing and it came to me, I was flying her like the small one. The next time up I did a few touch and goes and found out you have to fly the plane all the way to landing and cut the power just before touch down and she is down on the mains and the tail stop flying maybe 2 to 3 sec after that. I don't know if you have flown the small one yet, but if you have not then you will not have a problem with this one. The one thing I did find on the gear block set, it had next to no glue anywhere. I think you setup will work!! I hope you get your muffler soon because you are going to love this bird!!!

Sonny
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
jet22b

Hi Gys;

The large Revolver is ready for the air again!! Sorry I did not take pictures of the fix, but what I did was use 1/8 ply on the firewall, side walls of the fuse and the back bulkhead, so the gear block had something to glue. Glue everything with 30 min epoxy. After the epoxy set I use 2" long wood screws and screw the gear block to the firewall and the rear bulkhead and the glue them in with epoxy. I hope this work!!
Hope this weekend for some more good weather!!! I love this plane!!!

Sonny

Name:	Ge94762.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1323673   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43356.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1323674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39718.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1323675  
Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
frankeldan

Now that was the fastest repair I've seen yet! Broken yesterday.. all set for the field today.

You must really like this one.

I just recieved my pitts muffler. Here's what she looks like.

Later,

Dan

Name:	ki19433.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	789.9 KB
ID:	1323703   Click image for larger version

Name:	yu63374.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	838.4 KB
ID:	1323704   Click image for larger version

Name:	ej14340.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	1323705  
Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
jet22b

Yes I do!!!
Just wait to you fly your and you will see what I am talking about!!! I hope you have some good weather to fly yours!! The wife just walk in and took my checkbook and cards because I was on Tower website just about to place a order for one more large Revolver. She said, you have enough planes in the hangar now to fly!!! I only have 6 planes, 2 heli's and one rc boat!! I don't think that's to many!!!

Sonny
Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
frankeldan

HAhHA.. Wife took away the loot.. That 3 payment thing on Tower makes it too easy.

Na.. 6 planes isn't enuff. I'm on about 40 planes, give or take.. 3 heli's 3 boats, 5 cars... when will the madness end.. never...

Since I got laid off this month I have some time to hit the field during the week. Maybe the weather gods will be kind this week and I can maiden this puppy.

Broke in a Saito 180 today to put in a new Twist 150, that should be a fun one too.

Here's some pics.. It's a controlled mess..

Later,

Dan

Name:	ig13149.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	779.2 KB
ID:	1323791   Click image for larger version

Name:	av67829.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	852.9 KB
ID:	1323792   Click image for larger version

Name:	uz69008.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	1323793   Click image for larger version

Name:	ha78650.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	1323794   Click image for larger version

Name:	ep85233.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	783.6 KB
ID:	1323795   Click image for larger version

Name:	kb44760.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	799.8 KB
ID:	1323796  
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
jet22b

Dan;

That's what I call a " Man Cave "!!!

Sonny
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
kochj

Jettb....

Just wanting to know why you mounted the motor so far way from the cowl??
THe spinner backplate is very spaced ....Was it a balance issue?

Name:	Wu61357.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1323865  
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
jet22b

kochj;

I install the eigine as per the manual but the carb was to close to the firewall, so I move it forward abit. Plus that give me a little more air the cool the motor. I know it look bad, but this brid fly good!!!
I am very happy with my large revolver!!!!!

Sonny
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
frankeldan

Well .. I just returned from the "man Cave". I completed the Revolver. Well almost.
I too have my spinner backplate 7/16" away from the cowl.. You ask why... well I must have messed up the measurement when I installed the engine. I swear a was dead nuts on , but nope ..Soooooo.. Not changing it , but I went to balance and I'm totally nose heavy with the Batt installed up front. I'll change it tomorrow and place the battery by the receiver.

The only trouble I had with this model was the forward wing pin was off in relation to the fuse. I had to take that ply circle doubleroff the fuse and remount it to the correct position. Other than that, this model was a breeze to put together. 2 thumbs up to Great planes. They keep on getting better. All they need to do it fix the landing gear and don't be so skimpy with the glue.

More pics..

Name:	sq47648.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	1324030   Click image for larger version

Name:	id97510.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	771.6 KB
ID:	1324031   Click image for larger version

Name:	uz68993.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	764.6 KB
ID:	1324032   Click image for larger version

Name:	wq42029.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	747.4 KB
ID:	1324033   Click image for larger version

Name:	lw18952.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	790.1 KB
ID:	1324034   Click image for larger version

Name:	ul80224.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	834.1 KB
ID:	1324035  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.