Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
wjcalhoun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

S&S
Very nice mounting system. The bolt mountings at the top of the cowl are very similar to that on my Wild Hare Extra. I will keep that idea in mind. I like the idea of thin aluminum for baffling also.

LG update - got out to the field this afternoon to fly, and found that my tail gear was loose also. It was not worth the risk of losing the gear on the TO or landing, so I did not fly. It will take minor surgery to install and epoxy a small block of basswood, or a couple thickness of plywood, to support the tail gear mounting screws. That will mean that modification of both main and tail gear was necessary on my (grass field) bird.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Slow and Steady

Thanks; May be overkill, but it works.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

S&S, Nice idea on the cowl mounting, very clean.
ED
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
PmikeyG

Ok guys...my gear ripped out on the second landing! I just can't believe this!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

PmikeyG - Sorry to hear that but, as you can tell from this thread, not really surprised. Can you tell us the details of the landing? Was it a hard landing? Was it onto grass, or rough dirt? (this gear may be weak, but usually does not rip out on perfect landings on a smooth, tar or concrete landing strip). Thanks.

wjcalhoun - I sank a 1/2" x 3/8" by 4" piece of basswood into the tail section to anchor my rear gear to. Seems real solid now. If that gear ever rips out again I'll be shocked.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
nh4clo4

Sorry to hear that, It is usually an easy fix, Iripped mine out on a deadstick, Itouched down, and had to do an emergency maneuver to miss a 9'Cub. (Piper, not a bear. LOL)
Mostly the glue joints came apart, Iused west systems epoxy, triangle stock, and fiberglass mesh to button back up.

Good Luck
Ed
ORIGINAL: PmikeyG

Ok guys...my gear ripped out on the second landing! I just can't believe this!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

First you screw the horns into balsa, then your rudder falls off (after reading your mistakes I am betting you messed up the ca and its not the hinges fault), choke linkage loose on a gas (you never checked the operation??); now on a gas engine you forget to put all the bolts on the prop.

I am going to say it ARE YOU KIDDING ME, you have some serious building issues. Honestly people should watch this guy’s advice here. Sorry if I am being blunt but this is not an honest mistake. On my first gasser I went over the top researching and checking stuff out in part I did not want things to break but also for safety reasons. This is ridiculous.

ORIGINAL: microdon2

btw - this is off the Revolver topic, but want to relate what happened this morning. I've finally got my new 78'' Texas Hurricane's XYZ 50cc gas engine running nice. (turned out my choke linkage was loose, so openning the choke servo never fully openned the choke). So I'm flying this new bird with a 20x12 (got 1800-6800 RPM on the ground), and it's flying nice, when suddenly the spinner and prop explode off. Now the plane is banking right (I think), and it's not at the highest altitude - maybe 60 ft. So I'm trying to hold it level with the ailerons and also turning to bring it about without stalling when suddenly - BAM - it CRASHES RIGHT INTO the baseball backstop, right in the middle of the field! Crashed into the upper deck, so the plane is also stuck up there. Caused significant damage to the left wing, the landing gear ripped out (but cleanly), rear gear bent, rudder broken, two major cracks in the fuse sides and the wing bar is bent.

After getting the Hurricane down (climbed up there and lowered it down with a rope - fortunately the park was mostly empty,l so not too embarrasing), I walked the grounds and did manage to find the spinner, backplate and prop. The spinner was ripped apart, the prop was intact, though deeply cut where it spun through the spinner. Looks like the cause is that I had only three bolts holding the prop down, instead of six (the engine came with only three, and the spool had only three holes to screw the bolts into, so an honest mistake, I'd say). But on the website I see they show six bolts. Biggest problem is the ends of the three pressure plate bolts and the spinner bolts are all inside the screw holes. And replacement parts are on back order at Hobby City (which could take months). So I'm going to try to drill them and tap and die them holes out. Don't know of it will work. Really frustrating cause I JUST got it all working. Sometimes I HATE the learning curve.

Seems that I messed up by installing only three bolts into the
Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying a 50CC gasser at a baseball field?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
microdon2

Mike - I fly from a pretty large field - it's about 1000' by 400'. That baseball backstop, unfortunately, is in the middle, about 1/4 into the field. It's usually not a problem - easy to fly and land around.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM
microdon2

Slats -

I'm surprised at the negative tone of your comment - it's not appropriate and does not fit with the spirit of this thread. I thought this forum was for sharing information on our planes so that we can all learn from each other, not to be judgmental or criticize. I put my experiences out there honestly - the good and the not so good - for the information of all. If I make a mistake I'm sharing so that others might learn from it. Granted I've done some things in hindsight that I later thought better of, and I'm not recommending anyone emulate my build techniques. But some things I've learned have worked form me and I think are worth sharing - how I've reinforced my landing gear, upgrading from cloth hinges to Robarts, replacing both stock gears with stronger sets, experiences with stronger engines. Maybe some people know how to do all of these upgrades from scratch, but it seems like I"m not alone on this thread of learning this stuff as we go along. So how about lightening up a little?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

You seem like a nice guy but reality is you are making some pretty serious, dangerous let alone obvious mistakes maybe you should read the instructions to avoid some of the hassels you are having.

Yes I am being judgmental we are not all living in Disney Land here.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Slow and Steady

Slats, I know you mean well and your points are on the money. Extra time building equals a better flying experience and usually less crashes (longer plane life). Though I had to laugh (no disrespect intended) when I read your comments.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
buckymri
My Feedback: (45)

Slow/Steady. Great job on the air scoops. I wish I had used this Idea on a couple of other planes I flew in the past. I had a GP shoestring 60 that never seemed to get enough airflow through the opening in the cowling. I had to run the engine a littler richer than I wanted in order to keep it cool. I did not want to dremmel the opening any wider and spoil the scale appearance. This could have been the perfect solution. I think I will make this mod SOP on my planes with cowlings. I noticed all your curved edges looked smooth. what did you find to be the best way to cut the metal for this application. Did use a dremmel to dress the edges?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
microdon2

Slats - I do read the instructions, thanks. But perhaps you've never read the instructions on a Chinese gas engine. btw - the Revolver instructions I've read mention nothing about reinforcing landing gear areas, Robart hinges, third-party gear ...

Funny "Disney Land" comment, btw. Don't think I've ever been accused of being a Pollyanna before. Think I'm bursting into song -

"The sun'll come out .... TOMORROW ..."
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
mike boxtall

Micro,
Just be glad you don't have to wake up every morning and be as perfect as slats. I would hate to have to do that job every day.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Slow and Steady

RE: Aluminum Scoops

Buckymri (and others), Thanks for the compliments. Regarding the aluminum scoops. The aluminum is off of a walnut can. It is very thin and light. I curve it by rapping it around a dowl or something else with the approximate radius I want. It is held in place around the dowl with rubber bands to get the aluminum to take the basic set or curve. After the curve is established the aluminum is cut to shape using a pair of tin snipps. If you look close at the scoop located behind the engine, you will notice some tabs I cut into the scoop to make it easier to adhere to the engine box. There is also a small piece of plywood at the top to support the top edge of the aluminum. This aluminum works so well, I have stock piled about 10 lids for future use. I have also used a yogurt container to create a scoop for my Aeroworks 61 size Edge 540 (great plane - have had two). You cut the scoop out of the side of the yogurt container. Start at the rim of the container with two cuts, which are spaced apart the same width as the cowl opening, measured at the spinner side. You cut downward for the same length as the cowl opening. The yogurt can has held up well, but I like the aluminum, which can be shaped as needed.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM
jet22b

Slow and Steady;

This is what great about this hobby. We like to share info and mods on all types of airplanes. We know the short falls of this bird, but with the help of all the people, ( like your-self ), we now make the Revolver a great plane to have and fly.
Thanks again for your input!!
Have a great week of flying!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Slow and Steady

Thanks Sonny, That means alot to me, Greg

PS I have been in this hobby for over 5 years and have a reputation for being anal, when it comes to detail. I continue to learn from other RC's and enjoy sharing what I have learned. You, Microdon, Slats ETC, ETC. have shared new ideas and I continue to draw from your experience. This is what makes the hobby alot of fun, instead of frustrating. For example, my engines run great - idle, transition, top end - all because someone helped me. Best part of the hobby!!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 PM
wjcalhoun

Guys:

Nice to see some activity here. This thread got REAL QUIET for a bit.

I'm interested in your all-up weights. Would y'all mind posting your engine, prop, peak WOT rpms, and AUW. We'll then have a common framework from which to compare performance. The box says the plane builds to 9 1/4#, but most of us have more hardware on the firewall than a .60, so it's not surprising if they are a bit heavier.

Mine:

OS AX 1.20 2s
Prop APC 16x8
Peak RPM so far 7300
AUW 9.5# (honest weight - measured with a digital fish scale accurate to the ounce)

Bill
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
microdon2

wjc - great idea. My Rev 70 has a YS 1.40 4S and is turning a 15x12. Will have to get back to you on RPM's and weight.

S&S - question - how did you know that your engine would benefit by the scoop? Was your engine temp too high? And is it lower now? Is there a "suggested running temp" for each engine out there?

Mike
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
nh4clo4

Mine is 10lbs on the dot, Magnum 91 4 stroke, 14x6 prop Ihave to double check but I think the tach said 7900.
Itried a 14-4 it was a dog! The rpms weren't much higher.
With the 14-6 it moves quite well, and can knife edge the length of our field.
ED
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
jet22b

Bill;

I have 2 Revolver!!

OS 91SP II FS
Weight: 9 lbs
Prop 14/6 Master Screw
RPM 8900
Onboard Glow System

OS 1.20SE FS
Weight: 10.1 lbs
Prop: APC 15/6
RPM 8100 so far
No onboard glow system

All CG as per manual.

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 AM
mike boxtall

Saito 180
9600 rpm
16*8 apc
No on board glow
Redundant batteries.
10.5 lbs.
Still a tad nose heavy but plan on switching prop and spinner to carbon fiber.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wjc you should be 9,000 rpm or more with that 16x8 prop. i think i got 9,200 on the muffler and 9,900-10,000 on a tuned pipe .

Mike box try a 16x10 and 35% nitro.......[X(]
Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Slow and Steady

Microdon,

OS has a manufacturer's blog and consistently notes that there is no optimum operating temperature. I have a gage and have never used it. One way to know if your engine is hot, is to note an rpm decrease as you are flying. You will hear the engine drop off, but keep running. When it happens, you back off, let it cool down in the air, and in about 30 seconds it will regain full rpm at full throttle. This means it is likely heating up and seasing up. That being said, I had cooling issues with the 91 FX that I originally had in this plane and the baffling helped. Not sure if the front scoop helped, since I made all baffling mods at the same time. I did have the left front openning blocked off and the engine was getting hot. Another way to cool the engnie (2 Stroke) is to add about 1/2 to one ounce of castor to a gallon of fuel. Works great. I did this with my 120 AX and it ran great.

WC

OS has noted on their blog that max rpm for the 120 AX is 9500 and optimum is approximately 9000 for max power. While they also recommend 16 8 prop, I got real good performance with the 16 6. You may want to try a 15 8, for speed.

I am going to have to finally buy a fish scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.