Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Hello from Roswell, N.M.

I have one of these on the way and an curious if anyone has one with a YS-110FZ and if so would you please comment on the install and photos would be greatly appreciated. I will be running Hitec 645mg servos, and I will reinforce the L.G area with CF cloth and hardplate.

Thanks,

Perry

Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Perry;

Welcome to the family of Revolver drivers.
If you take a look back in this thread, I think you will find your answer with pictures. You will love this plane and fly it more than any other you have in your hangar.
Any more question or you just need help feel free to post!!
Have fun!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
wjcalhoun

Perry
Look up my post this thread #1107 which summarizes many of the mods that general experience with this airframe has shown to be useful. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Widget
My Feedback: (1)

What I mean is, even when I choke the carb at WOT while turning it over with my big starter, which USUALLY gets the carb pouring out fuel, does NOTHING. I have checked / replaced the fuel lines, checked the tank, etc, but nothing. Because it is my only 4 stroke and because I'm not too versed in 4s problems, could it be an intake valve not opening or something of that sort? I really didn't want to start tearing the motor down if it was something more simple. I'll pull the carb off again, but I am most sure that I checked out ANY and all possibilities of 'blockage' in the needle area. tnx
Old 10-09-2010, 11:02 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Widget - could be that your valve clearances are off. Pretty easy to space them - just follow the instructions in the manual. Much easier, too, if you have the stock tool kit that comes with most 4s's. If not (as I didn't) you can get spacers from any good hardware store and improvise on the rest. Also, are you getting exhaust at all? If you put your finger over the exhaust when cranking, do you feel pressure? Also, have you rechecked your high and low-speed needles for correct initial setting? Maybe reset them to factory settings and start over. After I got my YS 4S back I could not restart it in the field, was getting no gas. Then I remembered the High Speed needle had been removed for shipping and when I reinstalled I forgot to open it back up. Then it worked fine.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: Widget

What I mean is, even when I choke the carb at WOT while turning it over with my big starter, which USUALLY gets the carb pouring out fuel, does NOTHING. I have checked / replaced the fuel lines, checked the tank, etc, but nothing. Because it is my only 4 stroke and because I'm not too versed in 4s problems, could it be an intake valve not opening or something of that sort? I really didn't want to start tearing the motor down if it was something more simple. I'll pull the carb off again, but I am most sure that I checked out ANY and all possibilities of 'blockage' in the needle area. tnx
Hey Widget,

Check out the link below. Maybe you can find help there!!
http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...orum/index.php

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 10-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Widget

Thanks! Checked out Global's forums but nothing but the ususal, hole in the fuel line, etc. This is a weird one. It was running fine, and then all the sudden it won't draw fuel for nuthin! Welp... That's why God made Winter time...
Now, about my OS 91FX on my Reactor. GOBS of power, idles till the cows come home and starts as easy as you please even when it's been sititng for months on the shelf, but it has this high RPM slobber/burbble kind of roughness to it, from 80% to WOT, and I am MOST sure I can see some air bubbles once in a while in there at WOT on the bench, even though it has brand new lines (multiple times trying to figure this out) , new glow plugs again and again and fresh 10% (and tried 15%) fuel. I fly it anyway because it has never been anything but an audible hassle. Otherwise, she runs awesome!
It has the "old style" (???) needle valve that is attached to the back-plate. Didn't I read in here way back about a retro-fit remote needle? How does one go about getting one of those without sending the engine back to OS ?
By the way, if you like your Rev, you'd LOVE the smaller (58") Reactor! It is the easiest, sweetest flying little plane I have ever owned. The Rev with my 120AX is still my Fav for size, speed and all the rest, but just for everyday funnin' around, the Reactor with the 91FX in it has turned out to be a real keeper, though not near as fast as the Rev, God rest it's soul... [:@] I'm watching Tower real close for "the good deal" Deal to come along again.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks! Checked out Global's forums but nothing but the ususal, hole in the fuel line, etc. This is a weird one. It was running fine, and then all the sudden it won't draw fuel for nuthin! Welp... That's why God made Winter time...
Now, about my OS 91FX on my Reactor. GOBS of power, idles till the cows come home and starts as easy as you please even when it's been sititng for months on the shelf, but it has this high RPM slobber/burbble kind of roughness to it, from 80% to WOT, and I am MOST sure I can see some air bubbles once in a while in there at WOT on the bench, even though it has brand new lines (multiple times trying to figure this out) , new glow plugs again and again and fresh 10% (and tried 15%) fuel. I fly it anyway because it has never been anything but an audible hassle. Otherwise, she runs awesome!
It has the ''old style'' (???) needle valve that is attached to the back-plate. Didn't I read in here way back about a retro-fit remote needle? How does one go about getting one of those without sending the engine back to OS ?
By the way, if you like your Rev, you'd LOVE the smaller (58'') Reactor! It is the easiest, sweetest flying little plane I have ever owned. The Rev with my 120AX is still my Fav for size, speed and all the rest, but just for everyday funnin' around, the Reactor with the 91FX in it has turned out to be a real keeper, though not near as fast as the Rev, God rest it's soul... [:@] I'm watching Tower real close for ''the good deal'' Deal to come along again.
I had one of those old style needle valve engines. I just ordered the new valve and valve plate from Tower Hobbies. Then I took the old back plate off and took a hack saw and cut the cast valve off. I sanded the plate smooth, then cleaned everything good. Then put the new valve on and that was it. It was a very easy mod.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So use a tank you know works and a short piece of tubing to connect temporarily, just to see if the engine draws fuel. Rubber band or masking tape or ROPE it on. The idea is just to hold it so your hands are free to turn the prop over while finger choking.

What will that tell you? Whether or not the problem is the carb/engine or the plumbing in your airplane.

Right now, you don't even have that information. At least it'll tell you which side of the fuel intake nipple the problem lies.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Clarence Lee Had this in one of his articles, If the needle valve mount is the cast aluminum. (part of the backplate)It transfers heat from the backplate to the needle valve and boils the fuel. It creates an uneven fuel flow as the hot fuel transfers quickly till it cools and starts over, If you do the mod recommended by OSit should clear it up.
ED
Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

Clarence Lee Had this in one of his articles, If the needle valve mount is the cast aluminum. (part of the backplate) It transfers heat from the backplate to the needle valve and boils the fuel. It creates an uneven fuel flow as the hot fuel transfers quickly till it cools and starts over, If you do the mod recommended by OS it should clear it up.
ED
ED,
That is one man that knew rc engine in and out!!! Back in the days, I read all his articles on model engines and learn alot from him!! I don't know if he is still writing articles, but in the days, he did articles for RC Model Magazine. I wish we had more people like him in this hobby. We need a forum just for engine talk!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
skipb
My Feedback: (6)

jet22b-

Clarence Lee writes an engine column in Model Airplane News.

Skipb
Old 10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
nh4clo4

Jet,Have saved all my airplane mags since the 80's. Ialways grab a few a read them, His articles are always informative, and Ihave learned so much from them. Ijust happened to see that particular question, Ialso stumbled across a needle valve issue with a Magnum fs 30 that he solved. Ijust had the same issue, and now Iknow how to fix it. His man on the street vocabulary and descriptions are priceless.
ED
Old 10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: skipb

jet22b-

Clarence Lee writes an engine column in Model Airplane News.

Skipb
Thanks, Skipb!!!
Model Airplane Newis, here I come!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 PM
microdon2

But it sounds like the older needle-valve assembly and it's heating up of fuel issue would only cause problems once the engine was running, which is not widget's problem, which seems to be not getting any fuel at all, even initially.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Sbach342Guy

Finally got to take out my replacement Revolver. Trimming was pretty far off this time around. It made for some interesting flying while I trimmed it out since it was a bit windy. Need to double check my CG since it still didn't handle as well as expected. My first Revolver was prefect. This one I'm not sure about yet. It could have been nervous fingers and the wind. Misjudged the height of a tree on my landing approach. Tried to pull up but clipped it with a wing tip. Plane was pretty much stalled when it hit the tree so no real damage. One small puncture at the top leading edge of the rudder and a inch long slice on the bottom of the fuse. I got real lucky. It's getting dark pretty quick now so no flying until next weekend.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:25 PM
nh4clo4

This was in regard to the 91 fx question about blubbering after running at high speed. The 4 stroke sounds like it will take some digging.
ED
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Widget

Yeah.. The 91FX burbles, and the 1.20 Magnum 4S will NOT draw fuel at all, even when I solidly choke and spin the engine with a starter. This is NOT a fuel line/leaky tank prob. With WOT, choked and spinning, I think some amount of fuel would suck through, eh?
On the 91FX burble prob, I'm trying out a piece of fuel-tubing over the needle valve tomorrow to see if that's the culprit. The O-Ring is in good shape, but the seat-tube that it screws down into looks pretty broad for the O-ring to fill good and tight... I see that Perry sells a remote needle valve also that seems to fit the bill. I am thinking of not mounting it to the engine back-plate area at all, but rather on the firewall, maybe even insulated with some servo grommets to keep the vibration down.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Widget

Figured out the Burble on the 91FX! It was a slight leak, ever since brand-new, at the needle valve O-Ring. The chunk of fuel tubing slipped over it made it run prrrrrfect today!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Slow and Steady

Somebody mention a death spiral with the 59" Revolver? It happened to me and I almost lost it; recovered just in time.

I had the second generation 91 FX, but installed the needle valve assembly on the fire wall instead of the back plate bracket, which isolated it from heat and vibration - may have been overkill.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM
microdon2

S&S - I'd leave a LITTLE more altitude for the Rev 59 to recover from a death spiral that the Rev 70. The 70 seems to recover easier, more steady (did a few this morning). The 59 is usually fine, and I don't know why I could't pull out from mine about a month ago (especially as I was yelling to the plane, "PULL UP!"), but, as you know, the 59 CAN be jittery and CAN tip-stall. Of course, isn't that risk part of what makes the death spiral so much fun?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Slow and Steady

The 59 is like a hot rod while the 70 is more of a Sunday flyer. Both are alot of fun, but you are right about the altitude needed for recovery on the 59. It has been awhile since i flew it and I forgot how close I came to planting it until your post.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Sbach342Guy

Anyone ever tried making their own wings for the Revolver? I've wondered if its possible to make 540T or Extra 300 style wings for it.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Hello!

Not to start a brand war but what is the optimal engine for the Revolver? I typically like the extra power but I would like to build this plane without adding weight, moving servos to the rear, and or ripping the flying surfaces off. I was thinking YS 1.40NC but...

Perry
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 PM
microdon2

PTS - there's lots of engine info in this thread (along with lots of reinforcement info). Since you mentioned the YS 1.40 I'm guessing you're talking about the 70" Revolver. I have two, one with an OS 91 4s, the other with a YS 1.40 4s. The 91 flies great, with an APC 13x7, very steady, very reliable engine, and light for this plane. Its' not a speed demon, but moves pretty well and is excellent on fuel mileage. The YS 140 is a monster. SO much power and speed - unlimited vertical and very good speed, and awesome sound. And the plane still seems to float on glide, even with the bigger engine. Only downside - it sucks nitro. But I do love the power. The only thing I did to offset the additional weight of the YS was to mount the battery aft of the servo tray. If you like speed I'd recommend at least a 120 2s or 120 4s for the Rev 70. Welcome to the thread - you'll love this plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.