Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM
copelab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Thanks Microdon2;next time I visit a hobby shop I will pick one up.
Cope
Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Nice. Isn't a wonderful plane to fly. And it just looks gorgeous in the air and on the ground doesn't it? All the guys in my club tell me that its a really beauty whenever they see it.

And with a DLE 20, They are super impressed with the performance too!! Even with the 91 the performance would be impressive. The plane is so sleek, its just fast with any engine that has guts...

Jeremy
Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: microdon2

copelab - congrats on your maiden. btw - on a 91 4s you could use a 14x7 prop - you have the torque. It'll also slow your landing a bit.
He could even use a 14x6 and even be slower right? Not sure on a 4s, but I know on a 2s it slows nice with 14x6, even as much as you have to use caution on landing. [8D]
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: mach2

Nice. Isn't a wonderful plane to fly. And it just looks gorgeous in the air and on the ground doesn't it? All the guys in my club tell me that its a really beauty whenever they see it.

And with a DLE 20, They are super impressed with the performance too!! Even with the 91 the performance would be impressive. The plane is so sleek, its just fast with any engine that has guts...

Jeremy
What you should do is just build your fleet over time. Took me about three years to get to the point I am at now. That way as you grow you still have your favorites like the Rev 70. I have several Extras, an Edge, and a couple Revs and even several other planes. So I have gradually built up over time which is really nice. I usually have 1 or 2 glow planes in the van, plus a couple gassers.

Right now I think I have at least 6 or 7 that I can put up in the air anytime and one that needs a few odds and ends. The bad thing is my odds and ends plane is my 50cc gasser EF Extra 300 and I don't have but one 50cc plane. Need to put in a switch and battery which is no biggy just have not done it. During flying season I don't put much time into the odds and ends stuff if I am able to fly.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:09 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mach2

Im not sure. I love the plane of course, but I can get a smokin deal on a Carl Goldberg Edge 540 with a 68" wingspan and Ive always wanted an Edge. Its Rx ready with a powerful electric set up (I love gassers but id like to see how the instant spool and insane torque performs). If I dont like the electric, I have the option of putting my DLE20 in it. Its also got all digital servos in it. It would be a duplication in that aircraft size. Which isnt a problem for me, but it causes a money issue for me. I still want to do the 30cc MX2 with a DLE30. So if I want the Edge 540 and the MX2, Im gonna have to sacrifice the Revolver.

But I may get the Edge and not like the way it flies, but I could easily sell it for what im paying for it. Then Id have the Rev and do the MX2 like I had originally planned.
Hey I have a 70 inches WS Edge that I'm not flying too much. It's the Lanier one, powered by a Moki 1.35.
Too bad we are at the extremes of our world, I could trade you.
You will like the Edge, it flies nice. The problem w mine is transportation. It is big and heavy.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM
wjcalhoun

Having just completed my 2nd main LG repair on my R70, due to landing in soft dirt, I agree with Luchnia that planes in the hanger often need little 'odds and ends' maintenance, or small repairs. In Texas, sometimes 25mph wind days enforce a honey-do, and airframe repair day!.

All 5 of my active airframes are flyable now, and I have a new 50cc in 'build phase'.

I can say that the DLE20/R70 combo is just about ideal. Plenty of power, without over weighting the airframe. Aerobatic enough, and with the CG progressively pushed aft, increasingly aerobatic (at least flat spins and KE spins, snaps, etc, look better with the cg aft of GP recommendations). Gasoline economy, large enough to present well, nice flying characteristics. Fast with a high pitch prop, tame with a low pitch prop; pretty predictable flight envelope.

GP - we are still waiting for the announcement of the 85" revolver for DLE55! If you do make the 55cc version, I would ask for the following changes from a simple upscale: 1) symmtetrical wing; 2) elevator and rudder balance tabs; 3) better structurals for the LG.

What say the rest of you? What do you want GP to fix in the R85?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM
lopflyers

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Having just completed my 2nd main LG repair on my R70, due to landing in soft dirt, I agree with Luchnia that planes in the hanger often need little 'odds and ends' maintenance, or small repairs. In Texas, sometimes 25mph wind days enforce a honey-do, and airframe repair day!.

All 5 of my active airframes are flyable now, and I have a new 50cc in 'build phase'.

I can say that the DLE20/R70 combo is just about ideal. Plenty of power, without over weighting the airframe. Aerobatic enough, and with the CG progressively pushed aft, increasingly aerobatic (at least flat spins and KE spins, snaps, etc, look better with the cg aft of GP recommendations). Gasoline economy, large enough to present well, nice flying characteristics. Fast with a high pitch prop, tame with a low pitch prop; pretty predictable flight envelope.

GP - we are still waiting for the announcement of the 85" revolver for DLE55! If you do make the 55cc version, I would ask for the following changes from a simple upscale: 1) symmtetrical wing; 2) elevator and rudder balance tabs; 3) better structurals for the LG.

Landing gear......

Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

GP - we are still waiting for the announcement of the 85'' revolver for DLE55! If you do make the 55cc version, I would ask for the following changes from a simple upscale: 1) symmtetrical wing; 2) elevator and rudder balance tabs; 3) better structurals for the LG.

I think you are spot on...maybe they could strengthen the LG area then use swept back carbon fiber gear to maintain the sleek look that the Rev has. Really not all that much additional work to do to to upsize.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Sbach342Guy

I would love the color scheme and general design of the R70 in a 30cc or larger sized electric. I only ran nitro a few times last yeat and have yet to run nitro this year. Heck, I've only flown my 30cc gasser.a few times this year. I've been spoiled by the "floatiness" of a nice electric. The easy setup and no cleanup is a bonus too.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:56 PM
lopflyers

That would be great. 3 different sizes to choose from[X(]
Old 05-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Slow and Steady

I would suggest 0 dihedral, one piece gear, and robart or pin hinges.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

S&S - good suggestions, though, with no dihedral at all it would be a different plane. I would be one of the first in line for an 85" Revolver \ DLE 55 combination. Besides being beautiful I'm sure it would garner lots of attention at the field.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Slow and Steady

I can't help but think the lack of dihedral would enhance its aerobatic capabilities. But the lack of roll stability may not suit most of the targeted customers. Either way, it would be nice - no not nice - more like fantastic! Definitely beautiful. Maybe a good replacement for their Super Sportster, which seams to have been around for a long time.

It would definitely be an attention grabber!!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 PM
lopflyers

Revolver 85/DLE 55. Count me on
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

after thinking about this one a little bit, I think I will cast my vote. I say leave everything the same except give the plane larger control surfaces. We love the solid and stable flight of this plane which comes in large part from the wing being the way it is. We can all adjust the CG to our liking, and with more control surface, each owner can make the plane as aggressive or mild as we want.

Maybe a full symmetrical wing would be a good change. But the semi flies well in my opinion. It doesn't need much down elevator to keep it level inverted. And we have Extras and Edges for the fully capable aerobat winged planes.

Or maybe I should be given one to test and I can tell them what changes need to be made....
Old 05-28-2012, 01:49 AM
shahir78

so so so sad..Revo wings twisted what to do..i think i must send back to LHS......
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: shahir78

so so so sad..Revo wings twisted what to do..i think i must send back to LHS......
Let us know exactly what is twisted? Is the entire wing warped? If you lay the two wings on a table does one wing set up on one corner?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Shahir - The main wings themselves are twisted? Or just the ailerons? (which can be fixed by bending while using a hot-air gun - works great). If its' the main wings then I haven't heard of this before. Can you post pics?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:50 AM
lopflyers

Twisted ah? It sounds to me like a new set of wings
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM
shahir78

here is the pic..any idea friends...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw67281.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	1766707   Click image for larger version

Name:	up47467.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1766708  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
SkyPilot101

twist the aileron in the oposite direction & re-shrink the covering to take out the warp, covering iron, heat gun, or even regular clothes iron will work.....all you aspiring r/c pilots out there need to learn how to correct warps...you will be far better off to learn this elementry skill and check all your new planes during assembly and often during your flying season
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM
wjcalhoun

It is just the ailerons - no big deal at all. As a matter of fact, if you look carefully, MOST arfs will have this sort of misalignment, either because it was not assembled correctly, or because the shrink wrap tension was not equal, or most likely, the balsa dried and changed shape. As mentioned above, we all need to learn to fix this kind of minor problem. If bad (worse than you have), lift the covering, spray the wood with windex, warp it back to just beyond the shape you want, and let it dry. Recover. With this minor warp, you probably can, as noted, just warp the aileron back to shape and use your heat iron to retension the covering to hold it.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
lopflyers

Hmmmm, it looks like you need some subtrim. If it was not in a crash or hard landing, or in the heat for long time all that need is subtrim.[X(]
Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM
wjcalhoun

Lop
I am presuming that he has the distal end of the aileron lined up with the wingtip; if so, the aileron is twisted, if not, as you say, could be subtrim
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM
lopflyers

Yeah, it could be, but he better check the distal end before he apply any heat and then bend the aileron the opposite way[:'(] 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.