Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:32 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Ya Think? Love this place! Yes, we wander around topic wise on occasion, but there's so much wisdom collectively it's hard not to! Very upbeat place to visit! Glad to be a part of this.

Merry Christmas guys!
-Al
Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if a YS 140 sport would work in this plane
Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, it does. Awesome power and that fantastic YS 4s sound. Sucks up the Nitro, though...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

She had her maiden yesterday. required few clicks for ailerons and elevator trim, then she flew level. Really stable plane.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Ortho, are you talking about the beast? 40% Extra? Did the DA iddle after all? Did you fly her at the field or at the private strip? I'm as excited as you[X(].
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 AM
orthobird

Yes, it was. what a sight. it is still playing in my head like a movie. i flew her at the club, there must have been about 30 spectators/pilots. did it ever idle. i got her iddling at about 900 rpm. i brought my tach this time. WOT she was at 6000 rpm with a carbon fibre prop that was 32 inch diameter with a 10 pitch.

on the runway, i started at 1/4 throttle, once she was straight, i kicked it to 1/2 throttle and her tail picked up and then she lifted. i mmediately, i noticed she had tendency to want to roll to right and she wanted to climb, so i brought her up real high while i used my right hand to adjust the stick to compensate for this. once she was up high, i started to use trim, after 3 clicks for aileron and 3 for elevators, she was tracking straight.

i then flew her level for at least 2 minutes, just basic box pattern of flight. once i felt comfortable with her, and i was not shaking as much, i turned on the smoke pump and did a large diameter loop, where the smoke trail met each other. then i did several low fly by's and rolls. did a few knife edge with her real high, trying to see how much rudder i needed and seeing if she would drop from sky.

after this, which took total of less than 6 minutes, i said, i am going to land this baby.

did about 3 passes before finally deciding to land her, which was not a perfect landing, she was losing altitude fast at about 10 feet above runway, and i did pull back on elevator, but she bounced once. she did not have enough speed, and was stalling. i did not want to throttle her as i knew she may then flare high again. once on the ground, i was then able steer her back into flight pit lane. then i used kill switch to turn her off, and i began ispection process. no damage to her.

amazingly, the 52 ounce tank of gas was almost completely empty. don't think i would have made it had i tried one more go around to land her!! ouch!!! lucky me!
oce on ground, i noted that the elevators looked fine in the position they were in. don't know why she wanted to climb so much, but i had to give few clicks of down elevators. must be that i had the elevator neutral position with up elevator too much.

the rolling, i noticed that the right aileron position was lower than the root wing TE, and the left aileron was higher than the root wing TE. meaning, in this position, the left roll position was to counter her tendency to want to roll right. but then i did notice that the rudder was not in line. so i wonder if i could have adressed the roll with the rudder.

last night, i put her in the garage, and i split the ailerons within the receiver. there are 2 right ailerons servos and 2 on the left. all 4 were connected to the smartfly, where two were reversed and all 4 were equalized. so now, i put the left aileron on aux 3. and using my transmitter, i can adjust the right and left ailerons separately.

then using subtrim, i adjusted the rudder, and i have made both ailerons even with root of the wing TE.

let's see if she still wants to roll right on flight number 2. now if i remember correctly, if the plane rolls left, this could be an engine thrust problem. my bird has about 3 degrees right thrust angle built in to engine dome. maybe it is too much and this is causing it to roll right?

to be continued......

btw, are any of the revolver gang going to go to Joe Nall?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 AM
orthobird

check out my latest post!! LOL
Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Good to see that maiden went well. Amazing you used that much fuel [8D]

I am really considering going to Nall in 2013 and it would be my first time. I know several folks from my club have been numerous times, but I have yet to make it. Maybe 2013 will be the year!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 AM
orthobird

I have never been eeither and I calculate it is a 10 hour drive
not too bad.
i may do it also
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 AM
lopflyers

Wow, you have to video that for us!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM
wjcalhoun

Ortho:
The engine is a DA-100?
One might expect fuel consuption of about 2 oz / min / 50cc, or 4 oz/min if i remember your engine right, which should give you 13 min at WOT.

It sounds like you are using twice that. I might check for leaks. Or maybe i am misremembering the engine; if it is a 200-220, might be about right.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM
jet22b

Hey Guys;
Anyone want to buy the R70, Tower is having a after xmas sale to the end of this month on a lot of thing and the R70 is one of them!!
Check out the link below!!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW4802&P=E
Make me want to buy one more!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-26-2012, 01:48 PM
ahicks

Sale price is 200.! Don't know if you can get additional discounts or not, but at that price I may have to put one up on a shelf somewhere?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Sbach342Guy

It should still qualify for the Super Saver Club discount. I'm not sure what the discount is for $200.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
orthobird

Hi WJ
it is a DA 170
it is a thirsty monster!! LOL
i figured out what happened:
now that i think about it, i had fueled her up. Then i turned on engine, played with her, tuning her, several times. then i figured out the idle stop screw was the problem, then i turned her on again, played with throttle curve on transmitter, then i turned her off, saw someone else fly, then i took her up. forgot to refuel her. i checked afterwards for gas in fuselage, but it was dry throughout.

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Ortho:
The engine is a DA-100?
One might expect fuel consuption of about 2 oz / min / 50cc, or 4 oz/min if i remember your engine right, which should give you 13 min at WOT.

It sounds like you are using twice that. I might check for leaks. Or maybe i am misremembering the engine; if it is a 200-220, might be about right.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi ortho
So your fuel consumption pretty much lines up. Lucky you on the nearly dry tank, but at least you know that you do not have a leak to deal with.

I was out with my R90 again today; what a beautiful bird. She flew well in 10mph north winds. Still taking it easy on the new engine, but may be able to start wrining her out a bit next flights. The DLE55RA with its 'muffler' is pretty loud, but i think i have a muffler mod that works pretty well to quiet the bark. If i become convinced over the next week or so, i'll post the mod.

High rate aileron rolls at at least 720*/sec, probably higher. Very axial. No snaps or flat spins yet, but she did a pretty hammerhead.

My R70 hit 98.4mph by GPS the other day. I was not actually doing full speed runs, just flying around getting some data into the EagleTree recorder. The recorder actually reads the tachometer lead from the ignition, and the rpm measured corresponds pretty well to my measured speed on the 12 pitch prop. I will post more specific data as they accumulate.

I pulled 4g in several maneuvers (loops, et), and 6.1g in another (hard turn), so I'm beginning to get a sense of the forces on the airframe. I did not push her hard on this flight, so what we do to our airframes may be quite a bit more intense than we think.

I am pretty impressed with Eagle Tree; i set the instruments up on a board that i can swap from plane to plane. it was hardest to stuff into the R70; will fit fine into my larger birds.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
microdon2

As long as we're talking about other planes, I was re-maidening my H9 P51 150 \ MVVS 35 this morning at a field right on the water on the south shore of Long Island (Hecksher State Park in Islip) (a new club I just joined). This runway is right on the bay, and just south of it is a beachfront woods - lots of thick tress with pine cones, tall grass. Some trees are 30-40 feet high, many are 10-20 ft. Lots of thick bushes. Got the plane up in the air - engine sounded great, had just trimmed it out, about two big loops around the field. The 51 was just turning right to come back from a deep downleg when I lost control of it - seemed like the elevator was not responding. Went down at about 2/3 throttle, at a steep angle - about 200 yard (a guess) into the woods.

Well, my friend, my son and I search for 4 hours for it and saw no sign of it. We searched what we thought was the entire probable area over and over. Problem is this brush is so thick you can't be sure if you've looked into each bush - and it all looks the same after a few hours. Had to abandon the search when the freezing rain started (perfect!) It's bad enough that I crashed it, but to not find it at all is extremely frustrating. My friend has offered to go back again tomorrow to continue searching. Guess we'll expand the search area even more. Wish me luck - I really want my plane back - at least to recover as much as possible, and also to try and diagnose what happened.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
lopflyers

Eagle tree? What is it? Where i can get it?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM
wjcalhoun

Mike
Sorry to hear of the loss of your P51!

In any plane i think MIGHT be lost, i put one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSZ87&P=ML

When transmitter signal is lost, it emits an annoying repeating beep that allows you to hone in on it in dense underbrush. That does not help you now, of course.

lop -
here is the website for Eagle Tree systems

http://www.eagletreesystems.com

Best wishes to all

Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: microdon2

As long as we're talking about other planes, I was re-maidening my H9 P51 150 \ MVVS 35 this morning at a field right on the water on the south shore of Long Island (Hecksher State Park in Islip) (a new club I just joined). This runway is right on the bay, and just south of it is a beachfront woods - lots of thick tress with pine cones, tall grass. Some trees are 30-40 feet high, many are 10-20 ft. Lots of thick bushes. Got the plane up in the air - engine sounded great, had just trimmed it out, about two big loops around the field. The 51 was just turning right to come back from a deep downleg when I lost control of it - seemed like the elevator was not responding. Went down at about 2/3 throttle, at a steep angle - about 200 yard (a guess) into the woods.

Well, my friend, my son and I search for 4 hours for it and saw no sign of it. We searched what we thought was the entire probable area over and over. Problem is this brush is so thick you can't be sure if you've looked into each bush - and it all looks the same after a few hours. Had to abandon the search when the freezing rain started (perfect!) It's bad enough that I crashed it, but to not find it at all is extremely frustrating. My friend has offered to go back again tomorrow to continue searching. Guess we'll expand the search area even more. Wish me luck - I really want my plane back - at least to recover as much as possible, and also to try and diagnose what happened.

Man that is the PITTS!!! The worst of the worst... Best of luck in your search. -Al
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Eagle tree? What is it? Where i can get it?
lopflyers;
Here is the link below.
Great company and people!!
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM
jet22b

microdon2,
I know how you feel.[&o] Last year I had a plane to go down in some very thick tress and bushes. My club members and I look for 2 days but could not find it. About three months later I get a call from some logger doing some clear cutting not far from my club field, that they found what was left of my plane. They took me to the spot where they found the plane, now I know why its so hard to find a full scale airplane when they go down in no man land!!!
I hope you find it!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM
lopflyers

Thx, interesting toy. I think I need one of those
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM
microdon2

wjc - I never anticipated not being able to FIND a downed plane, but going forward I think I WILL be installing those Air Alerts in each plane. Thanks.

ahicks \ jet22 - thanks for the thoughts. We'll hit the field again tomorrow at10am. I'm hoping for better luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM
orthobird

hey lop flyer,
i just ordered this today, and it will arrive friday.
i use Jr transmitter, not with telemetry.
1.  spektrum TM 1000 DSMX full range module.  This gadget fits in your plane.  it hooks to your receiver.  it, itself has an antenna, and it will transmit a signal somewhere (tell you soon).  it comes with 2 sensors.  one sensor is a temp sensor for an engine (gas,glow,or electric).  the other sensor is for battery pack power level.  the sensors connect into the module.
2.  Spektrum STI telemetry interface.  this plugs into your i-pod, i-phone, or i-pad.  once your airplane module is connected as well as this, you do a bind, to connect all 3.  (you need to go to ipod store and search , i forgot, either spectrum or telemetry).  once you download, you will see something very cool.  it looks like an instrument panel on your iphone.  if you press one of the gauges, it will say out load, what it is (more on that soon).
3.  Spektrum Aircraft GPS sensor.  this will collect ground speed, altitude, pressure, direction.
4.  Spektrum RPM sensor.

so i connect all this up, go to flying field, and attach earpiece from my iphone to my ear.  you can then program for it to relay this info on a 1 minute interval or so.  it will say:  RPM is ....., head temperature is ........, altitude is .........., ground speed is .........., pack voltage is ........

you gotta check this out.

Hi Microdon, i feel so bad to hear that.  i too lost my P51, blue nose, but it was on its maiden flight.  i fly out in wide open area, over farmland. Sosorry again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.