Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
109....someday
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
Re the throttle linkage for gassers, everyone worries about that until they realize the fuel tank is generally moved back to be located on or just in front of the plane's CG. This leaves a TON of room in back of the firewall for anything you'd like to do. On this plane, many mount the throttle servo right on the box carrying the firewall.

Unless you were to make an attempt to see how fast you could make the plane go, agree with the thought about having enough extra power available for a 3 blade prop. Actually, when talking speed, you're going to be running so much pitch, I doubt you'd have a problem with prop clearance? Thinking something like 17x12?
That is a good point with the fuel tank. I plan on moving mine back at least to the wing tube. I doubt I can get the tank right at the CG since I will be using a much larger tank for the glow engine than a gasser would use.

17x12 sounds about right for a 3 blade...probably the size I would start with anyway. No clearance problems there since I know plenty of the 20cc guys are using 17" props. I think if I decided to go the TruTurn route I would have it cut after I decided on a prop. I have an aluminum prop nut that I would use in place of a spinner before the cowl goes on and for prop testing. Once I had the prop choice set, then I would order a custom cut TruTurn.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:11 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

teckbot - the Revolver also flies great on skis. No smoother runway than fresh powder.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 AM
teckbot
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by microdon2
teckbot - the Revolver also flies great on skis. No smoother runway than fresh powder.
I haven't thought about that. Good idea, Thanks microdon2!!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSf...zfV0-1cjA35yLg

Got some video a couple days ago. We were short on time so we did 2 flights and had to go. I get a little nervous when the camera is around, but it was "OK" flying. There were a lot of clouds that played havoc with the autofocus so a lot of it is zoomed out. A quick reference for those who don't want to watch the whole video...2:30 blender (can't see well), 3:00 knife edge w/roll, 3:50 4point roll, 4:40 hovering w/vertical pullout to a blender, 6:05 pop-top from inverted, 6:22 pop-top (a good one), 7:10 rolling circle (well, 3/4 of one), 7:38 pop-top, 8:05 inverted figure 8s.

The wind was shifting around so I didn't have a good headwind on any of the landings. I wanted to get a really nice slow landing like I was able to get the other day but I just wasn't able to get her to slow down that well. They weren't bad though...

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 11-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me the width of the cowl
Old 11-20-2014, 05:06 PM
JoeMamma

Originally Posted by Conrod
Are you looking for the width at the firewall or the width where the cylinder head will/may protrude ?

Joe M.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Conrod

Originally Posted by JoeMamma
Are you looking for the width at the firewall or the width where the cylinder head will/may protrude ?

Joe M.
Sorry should have been more specific, where the cylinder head would be. Was wondering how much of the head and spark plug cap would show if a DLE 20 was mounted on the horizontal with in cowl muffler.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:58 PM
JoeMamma

Outside width is 6 5/8". This measurement was taken 3" back from the most forward part of cowl.

I used an O.S. 1.20AX on mine, so I had to cut a big ol' hole in her side.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02729.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	2049145  
Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 PM
JoeMamma

Here's the outside dimensions on the DLE 20 (with side exhaust) http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/dl...dimensions.pdf

Joe M.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:42 PM
mach2

Who was the guy who used a DLE 20RA? I bet that's a clean looking install. Aside from an electric motor I think the DLE is the best looking setup, even with the side mounted muffler (the RA would look best).

Just wondering, why would you want to put the DLE on its side? I could see doing it if you had something like the VVRC 20 that has the muffler pointing out to the side. With the stock DLE muffler it would be sideways too.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:45 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

One reason to do a side install would be to keep the plug from acting like a plow blade on one of those not so graceful landings....

I wouldn't worry too much about the exhaust. Worst case, you could get one from a twin.

I was thinking you told VV how you were planning your install and they would include a muffler with proper orientation?

My concern would be regarding lateral weight distribution? Seems like the Rt side of the plane would be noticeably heavier? Never seemed to matter much on a side mount profile type 3D I had though...
Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 PM
mach2

Haha, I hope reason #1 isn't an issue often.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 PM
mach2

Originally Posted by ahicks

I was thinking you told VV how you were planning your install and they would include a muffler with proper orientation?
I bet the muffler for the VVRC 20 would bolt right up to a DLE 20. Just a guess...
Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 AM
superduke1

Mach 2, It looks like you are having a great time with your Revolver. I've just completed number 2 after my first revolver knife-edged into the ground. The mods this time around have been dual elevator servos, pull-pull rudder, robart hinges, landing gear mod, fuel tank back against wing tube and installed IBEC running one 2100 Life battery. So far I've got four flight on her and all is going well just need to work up the confidence to do low knife edge circuits again. The DLE 20 RA is a very clean install on the Rev 70.

Name:	IMGP0234.JPG
Views:	896
Size:	972.5 KB
ID:	2049283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0236.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2049284  
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Conrod

Originally Posted by JoeMamma
Outside width is 6 5/8". This measurement was taken 3" back from the most forward part of cowl.

I used an O.S. 1.20AX on mine, so I had to cut a big ol' hole in her side.

Joe M.
Thanks for that Joe.
Geoff
Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Conrod

Originally Posted by mach2
Who was the guy who used a DLE 20RA? I bet that's a clean looking install. Aside from an electric motor I think the DLE is the best looking setup, even with the side mounted muffler (the RA would look best).

Just wondering, why would you want to put the DLE on its side? I could see doing it if you had something like the VVRC 20 that has the muffler pointing out to the side. With the stock DLE muffler it would be sideways too.
I was considering if a horizontal mounting would give a cleaner profile, but looking at the cowl size the plug cap and head would be outside the cowl line. The RA install looks like it maybe the answer.
Geoff
Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM
mach2

Originally Posted by superduke1
Mach 2, It looks like you are having a great time with your Revolver. I've just completed number 2 after my first revolver knife-edged into the ground. The mods this time around have been dual elevator servos, pull-pull rudder, robart hinges, landing gear mod, fuel tank back against wing tube and installed IBEC running one 2100 Life battery. So far I've got four flight on her and all is going well just need to work up the confidence to do low knife edge circuits again. The DLE 20 RA is a very clean install on the Rev 70.

Yep, good fun. Your cowl/engine look really cool! You got any pics from the side?

What happened with the first plane during knife edge? I do have dual rates on my plane, but now I've got it set up where the only difference is my elevators. The rudder and ailerons are the same on both settings. Full rudder helps with ground handling and slow knife edge. With full rudder deflection (rudder is within 1/4" of hitting the elevators) I can do a knife edge at just under half throttle and not lose altitude. Looks cool!

Jeremy
Old 11-23-2014, 03:11 AM
superduke1

Hi Jeremy, My normal way of flying knife edge circuits is to have the top of the plane facing me on the downwind leg and the belly of the plane facing me on the upwind leg as I find it easier to fly the circuit using up elevator. But I was forcing myself to fly the circuits with the top of the place facing me on the upwind leg and using down elevator to fly the circuit but I just got to low and went to pull out of the manoeuvrer but didn't have enough height and that was the end of revolver number 1. I also run max elevator and rudder travel and use rudder to aileron and elevator mix. Knife edges and flat spins are my favourite manoeuvrers. Also see side view of the DLE 20 RA on this build I installed silencers into the exhaust and they have reduced the noise to a good level and would recommend them. I have installed a side exhaust DLE30 into a Sbach but the RA install in the Revolver is a lot cleaner from now on I will only buy RA engines the only downfall is the noise. I would like to know if the DLE 35RA is nosier than the 30

Name:	IMGP0242.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	931.5 KB
ID:	2049499  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 AM
JoeMamma

Also see side view of the DLE 20 RA on this build I installed silencers into the exhaust and they have reduced the noise to a good level and would recommend them.

Silencers ? Are they the same silencers equipped with those multi-drilled holes (see pic) ? I just picked up a pair for my DLE 55 (side exhaust). They have been installed, but won't be tried out until springtime. You say your silencers are working out OK ? Any chance you performed a before and after DB noise test ?

It seems the majority of RC engine manufacturers don't really use mufflers, but just use an open-type exhaust router, or exhaust diverter. It seems their design goal is to attain max power and RPM while sacrificing quiet running.

My 80" Great Planes Reactor isn't equipped with provisions for a canister-style muffler, and the supplied DLE 55 exhaust router/diverter was pretty noisy, so I picked up a JTEC Pitts-style muffler (muffler ??). The noise actually increased. Not good as my club has a DB noise rule. DB rules are a sign of the times at certain club fields.

This past summer I was forced to take off and fly my Reactor at reduced throttle settings just to keep the noise levels down and also keep the club officers happy. In the future I'll be looking for planes equipped for canister muffler mounting.

Joe M.

Name:	41293.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2049500  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM
superduke1

Hi Joe, The silencers that I installed are the blue drilled type in your picture. I don't have any equipment to measure the DB level but it appears to have reduce the noise and I'm not seeing any noticeable difference is performance.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:44 PM
JoeMamma

Hi Joe, The silencers that I installed are the blue drilled type in your picture. I don't have any equipment to measure the DB level but it appears to have reduce the noise and I'm not seeing any noticeable difference is performance.
Thanks.

Joe M.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM
teckbot

Hi Joe
I have a brother in Germany, by law they are not even allowed to call the mufflers over there. He is building a LARGE B-26 with two Dl-3? somethings and he had to re engineer the cowl to fit his retracts and canister muffler.

Not sure if B&B make a noise reducing device for the DLE20RA? But i have been running one in my Revolver 70 this year and had a great time.

BTW, we are expecting a warming spell this week. Looks like calm winds wednesday to go for a final final last flight of the year!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 PM
mach2

I live in California where everything is regulated. Luckily the field that I fly at has no noise regulations. Being an American who loves loud powerful engines, I can run my gas engines with the stock exhaust, and I love it!

The engines are loud when you're close, but I don't think they are too loud while in flight. I personally think they sound awesome when they are flying....

Jeremy
Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM
superduke1

When I crashed Revolver number 1 I had to replace the exhaust on the RA as it got damaged. In post 7641 I used stand offs and longer bolts that where lock wired to prevent the exhaust from coming loose and this was I good fix. I notice on the replacement exhaust DLE are now using countersunk cap head bolts to retain the exhaust I guess this increases the mating surface area and prevents movement of the bolts. This installation as worked good so far. Its good to see that DLE are continuing to refine their products.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:19 AM
teckbot

Had a miraculous thaw early in the week and all the snow is off the field. So had the final final last flight of the season yesterday. Winds were light to none, had two really good flights. Third one up, i pulled a hard snap roll and something separated from the plane - it was the canopy. Landed safely no problems, but canopy is busted. Still no problems, they are really quite inexpensive and a new one is on its way.
I would like to replace the "stern" looking pilot figure with a helmet head - which i think more befits this plane. Hangar9 has a bunch, but what size??? You guys thought or changed yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.