RCU Forums - View Single Post - Larger Revolver
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 AM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superduke1
Also see side view of the DLE 20 RA on this build I installed silencers into the exhaust and they have reduced the noise to a good level and would recommend them.

Silencers ? Are they the same silencers equipped with those multi-drilled holes (see pic) ? I just picked up a pair for my DLE 55 (side exhaust). They have been installed, but won't be tried out until springtime. You say your silencers are working out OK ? Any chance you performed a before and after DB noise test ?

It seems the majority of RC engine manufacturers don't really use mufflers, but just use an open-type exhaust router, or exhaust diverter. It seems their design goal is to attain max power and RPM while sacrificing quiet running.

My 80" Great Planes Reactor isn't equipped with provisions for a canister-style muffler, and the supplied DLE 55 exhaust router/diverter was pretty noisy, so I picked up a JTEC Pitts-style muffler (muffler ??). The noise actually increased. Not good as my club has a DB noise rule. DB rules are a sign of the times at certain club fields.

This past summer I was forced to take off and fly my Reactor at reduced throttle settings just to keep the noise levels down and also keep the club officers happy. In the future I'll be looking for planes equipped for canister muffler mounting.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41293.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2049500