RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   ThunderTiger Rare Bear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1665626-thundertiger-rare-bear.html)

Vampire 09-01-2004 12:43 PM

RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Will post pic's this evening.

BR

fiveoboy01 09-01-2004 12:47 PM

Awesome Vamp!

Please put up some pics and some more details. If you do get it flying this weekend please give a good flight report. Sounds like it will RIP with that engine/prop combo.

This kit comes without retracts right? About how much would someone spend for a retract system for this thing? 300 bucks seems slightly excessive for this thing, especially since there are no retracts but it looks so cool.

Dago Red 09-01-2004 01:23 PM

Finally, someone taht will show us the bear taken with their own digi camera and not taken from a website!!!

Vampire 09-01-2004 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As suspected, the O.S. FX-1.60 fits beautifully into the cowl w/ good head to glass clearance.

The Retracts do not come w/ the kit however I feel that for the $300 price it is every bit the kit that my GP-GB-R2 was and the RB includes the 3 bld. Aluminum spinner which would easily cost $50.00 + in the market place and it is of very high quality. The Master Airscrew 16 x 8- 3 bld fits into the pre cut slots perfectly. Also includes a high quality cast alum. motor mount.

I will be using a set of Spring Airs w/ rorbo struts as I hate spindly wire gear.

Here is the first set of pic's.

Vampire 09-01-2004 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pic's.

One other observation, the CA hinges will be replaced with robart hinge points as this SOB (Son of a Bear) will surely haul the pourage !!

Dago Red 09-01-2004 06:48 PM

YAY!!!! sweet looking plane, for a lower pylon racer, J/J. Sweet plane, hope it flyes a awsome as it looks!!!!

Vampire 09-01-2004 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last of the pic's.

One last observation on kit quality, the wing to fuselage fit is near perfect. I give this kit a 9 on quality (not fit as I have not been their yet) and class is still out on the flight qualities but if it flies half as well as it looks I will be very pleased.

Dago Red 09-01-2004 06:57 PM

Very Nice. If i had $300 to spare id buy one, after I bought a Dago Red, lol. But seriously, Thats a sweet plane, the Deacls are Awsome Quality. Cant go wrong with the gold and white, I perfered the green and white. Good luck.

JohnVH 09-01-2004 06:58 PM

Wow, that is a beauty!!! Cant wait to hear how you like it flying!! I wonder how hard it would be to bash that into a military fighter

Vampire 09-01-2004 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Missed some.;)

JohnVH 09-01-2004 07:05 PM

whats all the wood in the background? you have to glue that in there?

Vampire 09-01-2004 07:15 PM

Yes John, the wood is laser cut and when assembled and installed into the fuse it produces the equipment tray and motor mounting stucture.

Hope to have it ready to fly on Labor Day provided that I can aquire the robo-struts in time.

Kerry S.

JohnVH 09-01-2004 07:16 PM

Awesome Kerry, is it possible you can get some vid of it too? :)

Dago Red 09-01-2004 07:20 PM

Bash Rare Bear to a military fighter!!!!! WHY??? lol. just add more wing surface.

JohnVH 09-01-2004 07:21 PM

Why? I like the fighter better. Maybe a paint job and a small spinner and nobody would notice.. Nobody makes an arf F8F bearcat:(

HighSierra 09-01-2004 07:28 PM

Way to go there Vamp!!!! Finally some pictures takken by there own Digi!!!! It looks fantastic!!!! I've herd thru the grapevine that it's a great flyer!! Look forward to hearing how it goes together for ya. Anyone know what retracts youwould use for it?

Vampire 09-01-2004 09:04 PM

Thunder Tiger recommends use of their own mech. retracts.

For me, the one issue that I canot accept is wire struts and thus I will use a set of Spring airs that I have on hand fitted with Robo-struts.

I will post info as the build progresses.

BR

Dago Red 09-01-2004 09:07 PM

JohnVH
Dosnt Giant Scale Planes make one?

JohnVH 09-01-2004 09:09 PM

as far as I knew nobody did.. but Ill have to check. Never heard anything good about them yet though:(

fiveoboy01 09-02-2004 12:38 AM

Man that thing looks schweeeet!!!![X(]

I also really like the fact that such a nice spinner was included.

Time to beg borrow or steal to get 300 bucks!

Vampire 09-02-2004 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In regards to the retracts, the ONLY place the TT p/n appears is on the BOX LABEL ! No reference is made in the manual. Just a heads up. Not an issue for me.

Looking at the wing gear mounting struture, I believe that ANY good mech. gear can be fitted.

One of the really cool offerings from TT is their Pitts like muffler that has a pair of exhaust tubes that exit the Exhasuts stack areas already exisitng in the fuselage ! pic's attached.

Won't work for me with the FX-1.60 install but will use some sort of Pitts type muff.

More later.

Frag 09-02-2004 07:22 AM

Woo hoo mine is on its way from Tower $274.99 shipped! Now I gotta find a place to store it!

Yak18 09-02-2004 08:13 AM

WOW scale exhaust available too! This thing just gets better all the time! Thanks Vamp for sharing your project...I'm looking forward to the retract install. Please post part numbers of your LG parts so we can duplicate. TT has taken a giant leap forward with this airplane. Can't wait to see their next plane.

Yak

cstevec 09-03-2004 07:13 AM

I saw this plane in the booth at the Toledo show and have been watching closely ever since. Local hobby shop just made me a very good deal on one ($259) so I am gonna be having fun too! Now all I have to do is find time to assemble it with all of the other projects I have waiting in line already.

Vampire, are there any issues with the installation of the OS 1.60? If it will fit completely within the cowl (no cutouts for the head, etc.) I think that will be the powerplant for me as well. I need this thing to dust off the Little Tony my buddy is flying :D

Vampire 09-03-2004 10:38 AM

As you can see in the pic's I have sent, the O.S. 1.60 fits completely inside the cowl.

I have this setup in my GP-GB-R2 and it is AWSOME !

I will be using a Brison Pitts Muff made for the 1.60 for the install as well.

I have also settled on a set of Spring Air-series 300 retracts w/ 7/16" STRAIGHT robo-struts on the gear w/ 3-1/2 wheels. (not the 3" supplied) Well- I only got 1 anyway.

BRG.