RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5238504-new-pacific-aeromodel-clip-wing-monocoupe.html)

GaGeeBees 08-23-2009 07:16 PM

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

Yep, I'm the dorky grinning guy behind the great looking plane.

rcar4 08-24-2009 11:38 PM

I have not had a chance to look at my issue yet, but the guys at work told me about it. Congratulations, can I get mine autographed :D
A GREAT plane will make you smile!

f4u1940 08-28-2009 01:02 AM

That sure is a sharp plane, like whatching it fly...

edgeman55 08-28-2009 08:25 PM

Just ordered one of these.Going to put a new DL 30 in her.

Ken Cz 08-28-2009 08:40 PM

Edgeman55,
Where did you find the DLE 30 in stock?
Good price?
Thinking of going the same way.
Thanks-
Ken - MI

edgeman55 08-31-2009 01:48 PM

http://www.southeastrcengines.com/index.html

I ordered my engine from these guys.Don't know if he has sold all his first shipment.Good price with a free prop and shipping.Mine should be here Thursday.

edgeman55 09-01-2009 08:39 PM

Got my plane today and she looks really nice.Covering needs some ironing but the fit and finish are top notch.My DLE30 should be here Thursday so I will work on the wings and tail tommorow-should be a quick build.For you guys flying them how are those foam wheels holding up on asphalt?

TooLow 09-01-2009 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
they suck- - mine lasted 2 weekends then looked like racing tires from Datona. I replaced them with some Sullivans and have been happy for almost 300 flights.

f4u1940 09-02-2009 12:34 AM

Like too see what the new dle-30 looks like in your plane. Keep us informed with pics, I think it would be a good match....

edgeman55 09-02-2009 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: TooLow

they suck- - mine lasted 2 weekends then looked like racing tires from Datona. I replaced them with some Sullivans and have been happy for almost 300 flights.
Thanks for the info I figured that would be the case and ordered some 4" Sullivan skylites from Tower.Our runway is asphalt but rough and the sullivans hold up really well.Nice to know the plane has held together for 300 Flights!Thats a nice pic of you and your Coupe.Should have my DLE30 tommorow and I wll post pics when I get her mounted.I'm at 5000 ft elevation and the extra power is nice.

TooLow 09-02-2009 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Iv had a blast with it. Getting ready to replace the G26 in it with another "fresh motor" Hope this fall to maiden my other clipped wing. I recovered another Coupe in the colors of the racer "Lil Butch" Things taken a back seat with the forrest fires we are having around here. Not fun when you live in the mountains and you smell smoke and it aint from your barbeque!

rcar4 09-02-2009 11:56 PM

I would not mind recovering a coupe, where did you find it? Good luck with the fires, we wish you all well.

TooLow 09-03-2009 11:19 AM

I got lucky and got it uncovered direct from Pacific Aeromodels. They had a few come in un-covered a while back with their regular shipment. Just e-mail them direct and ask if and when they are getting a new shipment and could you get one RTC (ready to cover) It was a few bucks cheaper if I remember! We got some relief the other day- - -someone did a rain dance and we got "dumped on"! Will hold for now till the next idiot flips out a lit cig.!

OldFart1 09-03-2009 11:40 AM

TooLow, Cottonwood is still listed as "active" - but at least it's 100% contained

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1865/

rcar4 09-03-2009 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info on the uncovered coupes.

OldFart1 09-14-2009 12:24 PM

Well, you can move me from the "on the fence" to the "proud owner" category. Stopped at the distributor on the way home last week (Hey - El Monte IS between LAX and Lakewood with a bit of "creativity" :) ) and picked one up. It'll get my rebuilt G26/mag motor.

Have all new servos and a RX, ordered the extensions, prop hub and a few misc parts. Will start on it as soon as I finish the 28% Ultimate (damn Walbro needs to be rebuilt on the ZDZ 50 :()

rcar4 09-14-2009 01:44 PM

OldFart,
congratulations, looking forward to your future posts. Still loving mine here!

OldFart1 09-14-2009 02:06 PM

Thanks! Servo extensions came today, still waiting on a few other items. Need to decide if I'm going to buy a stock muffler or go with something like a Slimline Pitts style. I have one of those on my YS 120 F6F Hellcat, like it (and could get a smoke muffler for the Monocoupe) :)

rcar4 09-15-2009 07:42 AM

I put the stock one on mine as the hobby budget was a little tight. Next year I am going to put a pitts on it and of coarse buy a new cowl. I have a friend with a slimline smoker and the smoke tube keep coming lose from the muffler. I think there maybe better mufflers out there then slimline.

jmesseder 09-15-2009 10:24 AM

I ordered a Coupe a few weeks ago and have just completed it! I am breaking in the 1.80 after work today with a 16x8 Master Airscrew.

For anyone using a Saito 1.80, was it nessecary to cut a hole in the bottom of the cowl ? To me it looks like it has just enough room not to cut it...

Maiden flight should be this weekend. :D

John in CT

OldFart1 09-15-2009 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: rcar4

I put the stock one on mine as the hobby budget was a little tight. Next year I am going to put a pitts on it and of coarse buy a new cowl. I have a friend with a slimline smoker and the smoke tube keep coming lose from the muffler. I think there maybe better mufflers out there then slimline.
Looking at this one: http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...ng_id=1135805#

Anyone know what happened to AbellRC - I can't get their "Exhaust" section to open :(

Funny - the UPS guy knows all my RC suppliers. When he delivers a package, he looks up on my wall where I have RC plane pictures printed out and asks "which one is this stuff for"? :)

sedrick 09-15-2009 01:50 PM

you will need to cut 2 holes for the valve covers of the Saito 180 if mounting inverted. You should consider using a metal mount for the new 180s as the excessive vibration from a nylon mount will eventually cause the throttle barrel retaining screw to shear. This results in a dead stick and can cost you an aircraft. The problem is solved with a metal mount. Older versions of the 180 do not seem to have this problem. The SA 220 is even more prone to this failure.

rcar4 09-15-2009 01:54 PM

OldFart,
Bisson is a good choice! Not to sure about Able.
jmesseder,
Taking anyone along to shoot video? Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ed 09-15-2009 02:48 PM

I was able to order my Abell G-26 muffler direct from them. It's an excellent quality muffler, all welded and polished aluminum, and adds about 300 RPM over stock. The legendary Ralph Cunningham put me on to them years a go.

Ed

jmesseder 09-16-2009 10:22 AM

Uggg 1st quarter scale, need to pick up a Sullivan Dynatron starter to spin the Saito 1.80.

Has anyone else experienced the supplied plastic engine mount vibration problems with this engine?