RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Great Planes Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6116736-new-great-planes-revolver.html)

jet22b 12-18-2009 06:03 PM

RE: New Great Planes Revolver

Allen;

I have the large Revolver and this plane will shock you!!! This plane will Slow Down!!! On my first flight on the Revolver 60, I had to add power just to make it to the field because I was flying it like the small one. There is a thread on this forum that we talk about the large Revolver. Check it out!!! If you can, I would tell you to buy both Revolver and have a blast flying them. If you have the only Revolver in your club, get ready for this question, " can I fly her"!!!
Happy to help. Anymore question just post!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

mike boxtall 12-21-2009 08:23 PM

Was really considering the Saito 180. Probably going to go with a Saito 125. I dont want it to be a screamer but I want it to straight up and not stop. Thanks ChuckW.

N495RD 12-29-2009 11:06 AM

Just maidened my Revolver yesterday. All i can say is holy crap! I was amazed by the low rate roll rate, and I love how it flies with the O.S. 60. It tracks straight as an arrow, and it will go into a 45 degree climb without stopping, and it will climb straight up for about 500-600 feet before stalling. It lomcevaks beautifully. It is a wonderful aerobatic airplane. You can use these in the IMAC basic class competitions, so I know I will be doing that and competing with the big gassers. Thank you guys for all your help with the building process.

lippucci 12-29-2009 02:49 PM

Do you have any pics on how you installed the throttle servo? Also, any problems with landing? Have the same engine & bird. Flys great but landing takes forever. Cannot idle down far enough. Als, what prop are you using on the OS .60? Which OS? Thanks

Norm

N495RD 12-29-2009 04:10 PM

nope, no pics on the throttle servo installation. I am running a Zinger 12x7 wood prop, it sings when you pull up really tight. If you are having problems with the landing, cut the throttle to idle perpendicular to the point where you want to land, and glide it in, shallow, and fast, and add power when you need to to keep it from stalling. Touch down in the three point attitude with the throttle completely off, and hold full up elevator to keep the tail on the ground, and create the most friction. I am running the old O.S. .60 2-stroke FX (I think its the FX). She flies great with that. if you are having problems with the idle, adjust the low end needle valve, don't neglect it, it is more important than the high speed needle. If you have it set correctly, you should be able to idle so low that you can almost not hear the engine. Hope this helps.

bpoates25 01-13-2010 10:43 AM

i have a flown for about 4 years now and in my hanger i have had 3 avistars (great plane), a escapade i am currently getting the hang of pushing it to its capabilities, and the revolver. on my escapade i use a o.s 46ax w/11-5 or 6 and a 12-6 prop. great plane as well. in fact i love it. i had to fix all the factory defaults. however it is serving its pupose in building the fundamentals of sport/ aerobatic learning. i fly on real flight as often as possible to get the basics down before going out and it has payed off. i am working on more advanced flying such as avalanches, spins , and soon gonna work on the blender.
this is just to give you a basic idea of where im at in my style and progress.

my question about the revolver is i would like to put the 75 ax on it and i noticed looking at the specs it likes a 14-6 prop. is that to much?
i want speed with this plane so any recomendations on mill would help.
thanks

mike boxtall 01-13-2010 08:37 PM

If you want speed with the 75ax I use either a 12X7 or an 11X9. Both apc. You rpm will probably be sitting in th low 13's very high 12's. Those are the props I use on my 75ax.

jet22b 01-13-2010 09:26 PM

bpoates25;

One thing you will find out about this plane, it do not like to slow down. If you read in this thread, some people use flaprons and spolier to slow this bird down. Me, I have a OS 55AX turning a Master Airscrew K 12x6 prop and have been clock at over 110 mph. If you have a member of your club that have a revolver, have him to help you out with this bird. If you was in my club I would do all I can to help you have fun with this bird. In your post you said that you are getting into sport/aerobatic, just wait to you do knife edge with this baby!! They are sick!!!! This bird is sweet and the large revolver is sweet too!!! I have both and I fly them more than any other planes in my hangar!!!
Have fun with your revolver, I know you will love it!!!! We all do!!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

bpoates25 01-14-2010 08:58 PM

yeah i had ta rap that post up for work, however i was leaning towards getting a sundowner for speed and got to thinkin the revolver would be a beast if i fix her up right. the escapade is a great plane for where im at now and i plan to fly the wheels of her. however i am looking foreward to getting the revover in the air soon. its been in my room for a year now. i just want to make sure i can handel the plane. its a awesome design and i look forward to flying her. i want the correct engine prop combo. my .46ax will scream on the light escapade and as i recall on specs the .55 ax only has .10 or .010 more hp. not much and dont quote me on that. thats why i am flying the .46 right now the price to power ratio wasnt enough to pursuade me into the 55.
although thats impressive if you say youve hit 110mph! thats what i want. speed. still leaning toward the 75 ax though.
i want to thank you guys for the input and knowledge.
heres something to ponder what 4 stroke or is that more for 3d (because the torque factor ) or should i stick with a 2 stroke?
want this plane in the air this summer and need to get things going. its good looking on the wall but i imagine its GREAT looking in the air.
peace

jet22b 01-14-2010 09:22 PM

In this thread, you will find some people have 4 stroke engines in their revolvers. On my large revolver, I have a OS 91S FS ( 4 stoke ), and the plane love it!!
You will have fun with this plane and if you have the only one at the field, you will turn heads!!! Now get to building, before you know it, summer will be here!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

mike early 01-14-2010 11:20 PM

I have a Saito .72 in my small revolver. It is crazy fast. I've tried 11x11, 12x9 and 13x8 props. I like the 13x8 best.
I have a Saito .82 that would presumably be faster, but really, it's fast enough with the .72 for me.....

mike boxtall 01-15-2010 12:30 AM

Typically if you want speed people will tell you to stick with a two stroke. However that is not always the case. In some instances such as this speed is factored by your rpm, type of airframe and prop sizes. This isn't a formula one plane, its a sport flyer first of all. Yes its lines are clean and slips through the air easily. If you have deep pockets and really want this thing to move I would go with a Jett 61 LX rear exhaust with a tuned pipe. The O.S. 75 ax is also a good choice but you will not see the same peed as the Jett. O.S. just put out a new 95AX which would have been my choice had it been avilable at the time. Same footprint as the 61F and cheaper than the Jett. Four strokes are great and have tons of torque. My four stroke of choice for this model would be a Saito 115 and prop it with an 11X12 apc and watch it tear holes in the sky. Just my opinion.

bpoates25 01-15-2010 09:17 AM

thanks jett and mike! i understand its not a formula 1 race plane, however i thinks its got the lines as you say to move. thats the info i was looking for. i think im gonna get the 75 and play with some different props. it might not look the best but a tuned pipe might be in the works as well. no i dont have tons of cash thats why im on here asking the seasoned vets what i need for what i want. yes im the only one at our club who owns a revolver. im sure this summer ill have some fans. lol. the only after market thing ive done is cut a piece of ply to fit over the landing gear and bolted it down over the two halves. i think i might get sonme white monokote and seal the hinges.
happy flying guys and thanks again.

mike early 01-15-2010 01:45 PM

Be prepared for a few fly-bys when you try to land it. Have enough fuel for 3-4 attempts.

jet22b 01-15-2010 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mike early

Be prepared for a few fly-bys when you try to land it. Have enough fuel for 3-4 attempts.
A "BIG" amen to that!!! On the third try, I did get it on the ground and still ran off the runway in the tail grass!! Our runway is 450 feet long!!! Now I can land her and only use 250 to 300 feet of the runway. Our club field is grass and she still donw slow down!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Dauntae 01-16-2010 04:54 AM

When first landing mine the first thing I thought of was"WOW those catch wires on those aircraft carriers would come in handy right about now" I'm still learning how to land this puppy and plan to mix in spoilerons with the throttle so when I cut the throttle right off the deck it will stay on the deck LOL I do so love this plane, I just have too many of them but the Revolver is going to start going more, Unfortunately I can't fly it at the club closest to my house because it only has a 300 ft runway and trees at either end so the approach is kind of short for such a slippery plane diving down over the trees.

Dauntae

albsurfer 01-17-2010 04:18 PM

Won't the RPM's running a SAITO 115 and 11x12 prop still be a problem? I was told by the guys at my field that SAITOs can't take a lot of pitch, even if you reduce the prop DIA.

mike boxtall 01-18-2010 08:29 AM

On my. 125 I have spun 12X12's and 13X11's. I have it mounted on a gp little Toni. Takes a bit to gather speed but once it gets up there and the prop stops cavitating and starts grabbing it moves pretty good. It depends on you and your flying style also. But as long as you are within the safe operating rpm of the motor you won't hurt the motor if that is what you are worried about. I liked it and I like speed.

Chancho 01-18-2010 04:31 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">I love the Saito 115 on mine. Irun %30 Wildcat and I took off the muffler can. I get 9600 on the ground with a 13x11. I've played with the 125 and 115 on the Revolver and they both like the 13x11. If I want to tame it down, I can use the 13x10. The 13x12 is too much load for it. A YS110 or 115 would run a 13x12 or 13x13 butnot the Saito 115 or 125.. Iuse a on board glow driver that I turn on only when I taxiorI need to throttle down for landings because it doesn't like the idle with that small of a prop and high of a pitch. The thing is an absolute monster and goes vertical to no endand and will pull away from the 2 stroke revolvers running Webras,tunedpipes, etc.on the straight outs, up wind or uphill. However downhill the 4-strokes just don't wind out like a 2 stroke and that's when the 2 strokers can get one on me.

Now only if the fog would lift here in Michigan and the sun would shine Icould go out and play with the Revolver. But with this set up, it goes out way to far and too fast to even think about flying it in a mid to low visibility type condition. And the white just blends into the background to scare the heck out you.Ishould check on glasses or someway to see this plane better.Maybe my dad was right about the hair on my palms, because sometimesI just can't see this damn plane! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ssed_smile.gif</span></div>

albsurfer 01-18-2010 05:36 PM

Mike & Chancho, thanks for the replies.
I was worried about the engine not being able to hack the load and wind up enough RPMs to get it worth using that size 4S. I was told by some guys at my field who fly SAITO and YS that if you get above 8 or 9 pitch on 13" or 14" props with the SAITOs that they will wear out much faster and that they also wouldn't get up the RPMs needed to fly a plane. I fly .46 normally, and am moving up to .60 size.

Chancho 01-18-2010 06:37 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">Albsurfer,

You got it... It's all good. This plane looks and goes great with just about any engine. I just like 4 strokes at the moment and it&rsquo;s really user preference.I don&rsquo;t think I&rsquo;m putting extraordinary loads on the 115 with the 13x11 and fuel I&rsquo;m running.However if I use the 13x11 with %10 nitro the engine would struggle and potentially overheat.It&rsquo;s hard to explain, but I feel that with the %30 nitro, the Saito really likes the high nitro and runs better/cooler and has better throttle response/top end.I don&rsquo;t run Cruelpower because I blew a cage and let the rear bearing loose on a Saito 100 in a revolver.Luckily the engine was under warrantee, but fuel is a different subject. Of course if you run your Saitos with a larger diameter prop and fly scale like with a Piper Cub or something, you&rsquo;d most likely get better engine life.But where&rsquo;s the fun in that?I&rsquo;m waiting for a house payment to free up and back orders to be filled in order to try the new YS 115.I haven&rsquo;t tried a YS yet, but everything I&rsquo;ve experienced with my Saitos and have read about the YS leads me to think that the YS is a stronger engine line than the Saito.Strength-wise I say it&rsquo;s YS, Saito then OS.Ease of use I say it&rsquo;s OS, Saito then YS.Also my Saito engines love a Perry pump.By the time you add up the price of the pump and the engine, it&rsquo;s running close to a YS. Hmmm.

&ldquo;What a great hobby&hellip;&rdquo;</span></div>

mike boxtall 01-18-2010 06:41 PM

As far as Saito's are concerned so long as your rpm are below 10k you will be ok. I like keeping mine between 94-9800. I have always flown fast and used small diameter heavy pitch props and have never had a problem. Some guys fuss too much. If it is still in the back of your mind, run it rich by one click.

jet22b 01-18-2010 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Chancho

<div style=''margin: 0in 0in 0pt''><span style=''font-size: 9pt''>I love the Saito 115 on mine. I run %30 Wildcat and I took off the muffler can. I get 9600 on the ground with a 13x11. I've played with the 125 and 115 on the Revolver and they both like the 13x11. If I want to tame it down, I can use the 13x10. The 13x12 is too much load for it. A YS 110 or 115 would run a 13x12 or 13x13 but not the Saito 115 or 125.. I use a on board glow driver that I turn on only when I taxi or I need to throttle down for landings because it doesn't like the idle with that small of a prop and high of a pitch. The thing is an absolute monster and goes vertical to no end and and will pull away from the 2 stroke revolvers running Webras, tuned pipes, etc. on the straight outs, up wind or uphill. However downhill the 4-strokes just don't wind out like a 2 stroke and that's when the 2 strokers can get one on me.

Now only if the fog would lift here in Michigan and the sun would shine I could go out and play with the Revolver. But with this set up, it goes out way to far and too fast to even think about flying it in a mid to low visibility type condition. And the white just blends into the background to scare the heck out you. I should check on glasses or someway to see this plane better. Maybe my dad was right about the hair on my palms, because sometimes I just can't see this damn plane! [img][/img]</span></div>
Chancho;
One quick question?? Are you using Wildcat 30% Helimix in your Saito???
I run that fuel in my 50 and 90 size heli's Great fuel!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

albsurfer 01-18-2010 07:45 PM

I figured if I kept the RPMs below 9900 that the SAITO should be good.
I bought 15% Nitro, 4S, PowerMaster for a SAITO 100 and plan on running a 14x8 APC on it. It will be in a H9 Spitfire 60. Should be good, right? It liked the 2 tanks of 15% I ran through it and high RPMs with only 4 tanks of fuel thru the engine came to 10,500 peak. I toned it down to right about 9700. A lot of guys at my field said that 20/20 YS/SAITO fuel is what tyou have to run in their SAITOs no matter what prop is used. Almost all are using a 14x6 or 13x8 APC or MAS on their planes. I would look at the new OS 110 or SAITO 115 for the Large Revolver and would want the high pitch for speed and aerobatics. I may have to settle for a .91 or .95 2S due to finances. I will have to wait for the plane a little while anyway. I like to fly in the 80-90 mph range most of the time. A YS would be nice, but my friend works on them to hop them up using auto engine technology and complains about the exhaust port being too small, the cranks unbalanced, etc. on them, and that they should be better for what you pay. Anyway. I also have a Rossi 65 w/Ultrathrust muffler sitting around doing nothing. I think it would fly the Large Revolver nicely if I kept a prop on it for RPMs. A "VP" kit is available to up the HP and RPMs on it, too. :) :) :)...

Chancho 01-18-2010 07:50 PM

Yes, it's the Youngblood %30 Heli... Igot a few cases atlast year's Toledo Show and talked to Jerry from WildCat who recommended the mix for what I'm doing. My Saitos just love this fuel. I've tried the other brands... My engines run cooler and stronger... I'verun gallons andgallons of other brands andWildcat so far is my favorite with my Saitos. There's so many variants of mixes with the Wildcat brand, too. I'll see what they have for me in a month at this years showand pick up a few more cases.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif Good fuel is so damn important. If you don't have good fuel you'll be wondering if your glow plug is bad, if your needles are set right, etc. etc.. But good fuel will let you set your needles and your engine just wakes up the full range of the throttle, etc, etc...</p>