RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   What Christen Eagle is this ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/631058-what-christen-eagle.html)

Texas 3D 03-17-2003 10:50 PM

What Christen Eagle is this ?

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody has any idea what ARF Christen Eagle this one is ? At least I think it is an ARF.
I bought this one here on RCU, but the seller doesn't know exactly what ARF/Kit version this one is. I would like to get a manual for it before the bird gets here so I know what throws it needs on elevator, ailerons, and rudder as well as CG is. If anybody knows this bird and the info needed, please help out.
Oh yeah, it is supposed to have a 50" wingspan.
Thanks

Shovel-Head 03-17-2003 11:03 PM

Looks like the older EZ arf. My dad had one many years ago and it looks identical to the one in your pic, so Im guessing thats what it is. Hope this helps some!

JohnVH 03-18-2003 01:41 AM

Looks nice!

Texas 3D 03-18-2003 03:27 PM

Originally posted by JohnVH
Looks nice!
Yeah it does, but I still don't know what kit it is.
Has anybody ever heard of a "Indy Christen Eagle" ???

JohnVH 03-18-2003 04:15 PM

Yes, I remember that company, and that plane. Never had one but love the looks! Someone has to know!

FormerCA. 03-19-2003 12:46 AM

Pretty sure that's the old E Z arf, my buddy has one hanging in his shop.

Texas 3D 03-20-2003 03:31 PM

well, pretty sure know that it might be an Indy RC Christen Eagle, but I have had no luck finding a manual. Already contacted Horizon, because they bought out Indy but they say that they don't have no more info stored on those planes.
Anybody has any idea on where to start with the throws. Anybody flying a EZ Eagle or this one can give me a good starting point ? Men, I really don't want to put it in on test flight.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jbrundt 03-20-2003 03:46 PM

It looks like the old EZ ARF. If not the EZ then there was a company called Lion Models that made copies of the EZ ARF planes. I had several myself. They were almost identical to the EZ ones but significantly cheaper in price. Indy R/C used to sell them. I haven't seen Lion ARF's around for over 10 years now.

If you can get the manual from an EZ Eagle then you'll be OK as far as control throws go. As a ball park figure I'd go with Max throw on the rudder, about 3/8" up/down on the ailerons and 1" to 1 1/14" up/down on the elevator. Set your dual rates to about 75% of these values just in case it's too twitchy. The CG should be about at the mid point of the top wong's center chord. This will give you a nose heavy condition to start with then you can move it back from there.

Just make sure you build up enough speed on take off. These little, short coupled bipes don't like to be horsed off the ground. You're asking for a snap roll for sure. Go easy on the elevator until you get the feel for it.

hth and good luck.

Jeff

RACE76 03-21-2003 12:41 AM

Christen Eagle

I believe this is an Indy-RC as their's came with a tinted canopy and the EZ that was distributed by Global from Fountain Valley,Ca.
did not have a tinted canopy.......My $.02 worth

sj3cub 03-21-2003 12:52 AM

This is the Lion model for sure. EZ made a small .15 to .25 size,
a .40 size WS around 42 inches and a large 1/3 scale arf. Not to
worry you, but I have heard alot of horror stories about the Lion
kit. Make sure you start with a nose heavy condition when finding
the CG as stated above.
Good Luck,

Scott

Treeseeker 03-21-2003 01:14 AM

Eagle...

This is my old airplane. Yes...it is a Lion (INDY) ARF. It is the same size as the PILOT/OK model Eagle. I don't know if the throws would be the same or not. The C.G. should be marked on the side of the fuse with a C.G. decal.

RACE76 03-21-2003 01:18 AM

Christen Eagle

TreeSeeker
may I ask who you are directing your reply to???

Treeseeker 03-21-2003 01:22 AM

RACE76....sure, you may ask. :D

Treeseeker 03-21-2003 01:23 AM

RACE76...just having a little fun. This reply is for Texas 3D.

RACE76 03-21-2003 01:29 AM

No Problem

I have posted a few times and when i do I get tons of mail telling me about the plane i own and it is not mine. i am not a whiz with this machine and am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Dont get me wrong i don't mind and have met some really nice people.......

Race 76

Texas 3D 03-21-2003 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will start it out with a nose heavy attitude. I am an experienced Pilot, and should be able to fly that baby.
I think I located a manual for it. We will see, if not I think I will try jbrundt's advise. I talked to the rep for the OK models, and he gave me some advise which is very close to jbrundt's indication. I am happy that the plane has a CG decal on it plus we have also high and low rates.
Thanks

seduction2001 03-22-2003 07:24 PM

This is EZīs best ARF ever made. It looks so beautiful. Take care of it!

Texas 3D 03-23-2003 02:04 PM

I will try and take care of it. I opened the box friday, and it does look beautiful. Almost to beautiful. :D But it has to fly. I have no use for Hangar Queens ;)

Huang 03-23-2003 04:45 PM

Lion Model Christen Eagle

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Texas 3D,

I did not catch your thread earlier.

I am 100% sure that it is the Lion Model Christen Eagle (made in Taiwan) and sold by Indy in U.S. If it has huge hardwood engine mounting beams and a very thick (read "heavy") plastic cowl then that's the one.

I built the last one out of the factory in Taiwan 5 years ago but sold it due to entering military service. I never got to fly it.

I still have the manual for it. I missed it so much I kept it thinking
I could get another one. Here's directly from the manual -

Engine - 0 degree thrust

C.G. - "The model balances 13mm (1/2") from leading edge of lower wing less fuel". The picure shows

Control surface settings -
Ailerons - 5mm each way
Elevator - 14mm each way
Rudder - 35mm each way

On the last page there's a note of caution "The elevator must not more more than 5~6mm each way, as more than this will cause stalls and snap rolls." I don't know why the difference. Maybe put 6mm as low rate and 14mm as high rate?

I had a 91-4C on mine. As I remember, it was a beautiful, but heavy plane! And I actually know the guy from Lion who "designed" this plane off the smaller EZ model. He also mentioned to me about wing-loading issues, especially on a fat and short-coupled bip-plane!

Good luck with flying - please let us know how it flys!
Matt

Huang 03-23-2003 04:48 PM

And the C.G...

1 Attachment(s)
The C.G. from the manual... Looks like 1/2" AHEAD of lower wing.

Huang 03-23-2003 04:49 PM

Control Surfaces

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the recommended throws. But the last page suggest in print to keep elevator throw at 5~6mm.

Huang 03-23-2003 05:03 PM

Manual

1 Attachment(s)
I can probably take high quality photos of the manual and email to you . Since you are past the assembly stage, you'll probably need just the last pages on trimming and setting up the plane.

There are many warning notes about stalling/slower acceleration/keep airspeed up etc. due to higher wing-loading and larger frontal area. I would take that advice!

Another word of caution - I remember the interplane struts on the sides are attached to plastic support strips on the wings. The plastic support strips glue to the surface of the foam covering material using CA, and the plastic is cut/bent upwards to make attachment points for the structs. This method/material is not reliable at all. I used tape to reinforce the plastic support strip (taped it around the entire wing) for better attachment. You might want to check that area.

Email me if you need the manual!
Best of luck,
Matt

RACE76 03-23-2003 05:53 PM

RACE 76......NOT THE OWNER!!!!!

People please.....I am RACE 76 and not the owner of this plane. I have recieved 37 mails from people telling me what plane I own. I know that this Eagle is a LION sold by INDY R/C a long time ago. Maybe the moderator should delete this topic or the person that started it!!!! I run a business from this address and don't have time to play. Please do not respond to this any more...

RACE 76

Huang 03-23-2003 06:21 PM

???

Hi Race76,

I was in no way directing the mail to you. I replied to the thread by Texas 3D.

Since you also replied to the same thread, you may be getting automatic e-mail notification of thread updates by RCU. Please check if you have an icon "S" by the thread title. If you do, you can unsubscribe it by going in "My RCU" and unsubscribe, or take the mail notification function out in the "Edit Option" page. Hope that takes care of your problems.

Matt

waco1976 10-14-2012 07:10 PM

RE: What Christen Eagle is this ?

anybody know the wing incedence for this model?