Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Newbie to LiPO battery- Charging Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Newbie to LiPO battery- Charging Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:25 PM
bry21317

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to LiPO battery- Charging Questions

I have read all the stories and stuff about charging lipo batteries and the dangers with it. So here I am to find out from the experts. I am 35, so not a young kid. I know my way around alot of electronics stuff, and can do most anything.

I purchased a Sky Lipo 30c 3s 5000mah, http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html , I have the charging bag thats fiberglass, but plan on using some other setup with sand also to be safe. Do not wanna burn my house down. I have this charger, its a Peak vision Ultra charger. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4053 It says it will do Lipo batteries, but I have no idea what to do, other than switch the setting to Lipo. The manual does not tell much at all, nor there website. So any help you guys can provide I would love. I really wanna get this battery into my Rustler, it screams now with a 9 cell NIMH, but this lip should push it super fast with the 6000kv brushless system.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-26-2011, 12:29 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to LiPO battery- Charging Questions

Don't be complacent, but you dont have to treat them like them like a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

Just charge them in a ceramic flower pot and away from combustables and you will be fine.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM
bry21317

So this charger should work fine then? Been reading about these balancers and other items, are those needed, or just hook it up to the Vision charger, then let it go as you stated?

Bryan
Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM
BarracudaHockey

I just looked at that charger and I wouldn't be inclined to charge lipo's with it, it doesn't have a balance function.

If you do it make sure you use some sort of external balancer to balance the cells prior to charging as most dont have the capability to balance cells as fast as you can charge them.

As for setting the charge current just do it at 1c So if you have a 1000mah battery charge it at 1amp, a 2200 could be charged at 2.2 amps etc, up to the max output of the charger which on that one isn't very much.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
bry21317

Yea, thank you. This is what I was trying to figure out is if the charger would work or not, as it states Lipo on it, but as you stated, I do not really trust to try it. I will look for a charger with a balancer then.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 AM
BarracudaHockey

If you're going to fool with LiPo's it really pays to have a decent balance charger that tells you how much you're putting back in.