Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

1.5 volt NIMH AA batteries?????

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

1.5 volt NIMH AA batteries?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:51 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.5 volt NIMH AA batteries?????

I just heard about this today and did not believe it. I always thought that nimah's had to be 1.2v. Is this somehing new??? Or something mislabled??

http://www.shop.com/op/~ULTRA_(Mfr_:_ULT31790)_ultra_aa_size_general_purp ose_battery_nickel_metal_hydride_(nimh)_2500mah-prod-29902575-39111356?sourceid=57
Old 11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: 1.5 volt NIMH AA batteries?????

I think they mean when charged.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I think they meant "a rechargeable alternative to 1.5 V dry cells".
Old 11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

I just heard about this today and did not believe it. I always thought that nimah's had to be 1.2v. Is this somehing new??? Or something mislabled??

http://www.shop.com/op/~ULTRA_(Mfr_:_ULT31790)_ultra_aa_size_general_purp ose_battery_nickel_metal_hydride_(nimh)_2500mah-prod-29902575-39111356?sourceid=57
These places don't have a clue as to what they are selling. They get some dirt cheap, end of production or overproduction crap and peddle it to the unknowing, most of which couldn't differentiate between the real voltage and the marketing voltage.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

These places don't have a clue as to what they are selling. They get some dirt cheap, end of production or overproduction crap and peddle it to the unknowing, most of which couldn't differentiate between the real voltage and the marketing voltage.
So you're saying that the info on the specifications is wrong. Because it clearly says 1.5v and 2500mah. Every other package of nimah's I've ever looked at were marked at 1.2v.

I always believed that the 1.2v was a result of the chemical reaction of the battery materials. Just like Alkaline and lead acid are 1.5 per cell and lipo's are 3.7v per cell. I was just wondering if there was some new manufacturing technology that was able to eek out another .3v/cell.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM
richrd

Talk about get what you pay for. Always selling a dream, no new tehnology here except buyer beware[:@]
Rich
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

You have it right, except I'm sure you meant to say 2.0 volts for lead acid.

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

So you're saying that the info on the specifications is wrong. Because it clearly says 1.5v and 2500mah. Every other package of nimah's I've ever looked at were marked at 1.2v.

I always believed that the 1.2v was a result of the chemical reaction of the battery materials. Just like Alkaline and lead acid are 1.5 per cell and lipo's are 3.7v per cell. I was just wondering if there was some new manufacturing technology that was able to eek out another .3v/cell.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Red,
I have tried some Duracell NiMh - AA size and rated at 2300mah - made up a 5 cell pack and my A/C has a onboard digital voltmeter in perallel with the reciever- they work great for me=and the cost is only $15.00 a pack. I fly my DF jet with them.

Jackjet
Old 11-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jackjet

Hi Red,
I have tried some Duracell NiMh - AA size and rated at 2300mah - made up a 5 cell pack and my A/C has a onboard digital voltmeter in perallel with the reciever- they work great for me=and the cost is only $15.00 a pack. I fly my DF jet with them.

Jackjet
Duracell does not manufacture their NiMh, they contract out to whoever will supply them to their specifications, could be Sanyo, Panasonic or one of the many Chinese suppliers. Quality may vary from time to time as they jockey suppliers for best price.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Jackjet

Hi Red,

Jackjet
Duracell does not manufacture their NiMh, they contract out to whoever will supply them to their specifications, could be Sanyo, Panasonic or one of the many Chinese suppliers. Quality may vary from time to time as they jockey suppliers for best price.
Who ever is making them for Duracell is doing a good job because I can fly all day on 1 charge.
BTW=please tell me why are LiPos ruined when they are discharged below (2.5vdc) ?
Thanks.
Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68979.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	558210  
Old 11-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Who ever is making them for Duracell is doing a good job because I can fly all day on 1 charge.
BTW=please tell me why are LiPos ruined when they are discharged below (2.5vdc) ?
Thanks.
Jackjet
As I understand it when the potential goes below 2.5 (or something on that order) the lithium is plated out and cannot be reformed into active material . . . its an electochemistry thing - ask 3 electrochemists and you will get three different (all equally difficult for the layman to understand) answers.[8D]
Old 11-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Jackjet

Thanks.
Jackjet
As I understand it when the potential goes below 2.5 (or something on that order) the lithium is plated out and cannot be reformed into active material . . . its an electochemistry thing - ask 3 electrochemists and you will get three different (all equally difficult for the layman to understand) answers.[8D]

Thanks Red,
do you know where someone could buy some WET cell NiCads -remember the old school ones back in the 1960's ?

thanks again.

Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75026.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	558309  
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
comet 1

Everything you ever wanted to know about batteries!

http://www.ladyada.net/library/batteries.html

"This article is about batteries (if you couldn't tell) - and how to decide which batteries will run your project best! I'll cover both rechargable and "one shot" batteries, trying to cover everything I've learned. "
Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Thanks.
Jackjet

Thanks Red,
do you know where someone could buy some WET cell NiCads -remember the old school ones back in the 1960's ?

thanks again.

Jackjet
Try any aircraft battery service shop.