Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Accu-Cycle help (charging a JR 5 cell 2700mah 6 volt

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobbico Accu-Cycle help (charging a JR 5 cell 2700mah 6 volt

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hobbico Accu-Cycle help (charging a JR 5 cell 2700mah 6 volt

Ok...I give up.....I'm lost!

PLEASE HELP! -----

I am trying to charge my new JR 5 cell 2700 MAH 6 Volt batts.

I am using a Hobbico ACCU-CYCLE Elite charger.

Can someone walk me through the CORRECT way to charge my battery? I do not want to charge it in 20 minutes.....a nice slow charge the night before would be ideal.

I am currently charging them at 1.5 amps, and using 3v as my peak sensitivity, also using .5 amps as my discharge rate (which seems to work the best---slower the better) Does this look correct?

This charger confuses me as I read the manual and attempted a charge......25 minutes later it is telling me the Battery is charged. I do not believe it.

Again...

JR Batt rx pack 5 cell 2700 MAH 6 Volt
Accu Cycle Elite Charger

Many thanks in advance! *JUST NEED A STEP BY STEP ON HOW TO CORRECTLY PROGRAM THE CHARGER TO CHARGE THIS BATTERY*
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

CaptRKO: from your post it appears you may not really need step by step instructions. If you can make the following two changes, the battery should charge more like what you expect.
1. Increase the peak sensitivity to 6mV. The charge will stop early if the setting is too low.
2. Reduce the charge rate to .550 amps (about 20% x 2700). You can increase the charge rate once you are more familiar with battery/charger.

Once the battery is charged, run a discharge to see what the stored mah is. Then re-charge the battery.

I have used this same charger on similar size batteries.

Brian
Old 01-28-2014, 06:16 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by aghost
CaptRKO: from your post it appears you may not really need step by step instructions. If you can make the following two changes, the battery should charge more like what you expect.
1. Increase the peak sensitivity to 6mV. The charge will stop early if the setting is too low.
2. Reduce the charge rate to .550 amps (about 20% x 2700). You can increase the charge rate once you are more familiar with battery/charger.

Once the battery is charged, run a discharge to see what the stored mah is. Then re-charge the battery.

Brian
Ok.....will give it a shot, looks like I need to up the "peak sensitivity" a bit? I had it higher at 8mv and it seemed to high? I will give 6 mV a shot. Thanks for the quick reply.......always willing to learn!

.50 amps should do the trick as well?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 AM
CaptRKO

Brian

Brian,

I ran it last night (overnight) and this morning the cycle report is 6.95 volts and 1256 MAH. This was on a full (1) cycle. Does this seem right for a 2700 MAH batt?

Many thanks!

-Randy
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 AM
aghost

Short answer is "No". However you indicated it is a new battery. It may take several cycles, but it should eventually get within 5-10% of 2700. Go ahead and cycle it a couple more times. The mah should increase.

6.95V - 7.0V is good for the 5 cell at full charge.

A .5 amp charge rate is OK. At this point a 0.6 - 0.8 amp would be OK. If you get too low (less than 10%), the battery never even gets warm and the peak sensitivity may not work. But at a low rate, 16hr, 20 hr, etc won't hurt the battery. That is a wall charger operation.

The Elite charger has a discharge cut-off setting choice 1.1 or 1.0V/cell. I generally use the 1.1V setting. However you can use the 1.0V setting and probably come closer to the manufacturers rating.

Brian
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM
CaptRKO

Short answer is "No". However you indicated it is a new battery. It may take several cycles, but it should eventually get within 5-10% of 2700. Go ahead and cycle it a couple more times. The mah should increase.

6.95V - 7.0V is good for the 5 cell at full charge.

A .5 amp charge rate is OK. At this point a 0.6 - 0.8 amp would be OK. If you get too low (less than 10%), the battery never even gets warm and the peak sensitivity may not work. But at a low rate, 16hr, 20 hr, etc won't hurt the battery. That is a wall charger operation.

The Elite charger has a discharge cut-off setting choice 1.1 or 1.0V/cell. I generally use the 1.1V setting. However you can use the 1.0V setting and probably come closer to the manufacturers rating.

Brian

Brian,
Many thanks sir!

Just cycled another JR pack and it shows a charge time of 317 minutes and 2649 MAH. Which looks right on the money for a 2700 MAH pack. This was about the 3 rd cycle on the new pack.

I hope this thread helps others....as it seems many are confused as how this charging stuff really works.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM
aghost

Glad to be of some help.

Brian
Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM
CaptRKO

Ok...one more dumb question.

On NIMH batteries do I need or should I cycle every time.....or just once a month or so? I flew today (:25 minutes worth) and think I should be ok with a regular charge and not go through another cycle? Is that correct thinking???

Thanks-again-in advance!

In other words........once I have cycled the batts a few times, then go out to fly---when I get back home.......and then decide to go flying again tomorrow can I just "peak" charge them (in this case about 1:00 charge time and about 225 mah...is all it took to charge the batt)

Last edited by CaptRKO; 01-31-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 AM
aghost

Your "peak" charge plan is good. I cycled mine at the start of a year, then maybe once during the flying season, and anytime something did not seem quite right.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 AM
CaptRKO

Your "peak" charge plan is good. I cycled mine at the start of a year, then maybe once during the flying season, and anytime something did not seem quite right.

Thanks Brian! I am so old school all I remember is charging the night before all night on the little 4.8 Volt 4 cell packs. I appreciate all the help!