Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Dual battery hook up ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 05:48 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual battery hook up ?

What is the best way to hook up 2 battery packs in my plane. I have 2 charge switches, and the batteries are 1600 NimH.
Should I just plug them both in the receiver (using for one an empty channel ), or should I use a Battery backer ? If I use an empty channel, do I have to disable that channel on the radio (I am using a JR 8103) ? I am new to dual packs, so I would like to make things right.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:36 PM
thomasb

Just visit Red's site. He offers very practical info on dual-pack use.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Geistware

As thomasb says, visit red's site.
Basically you want to hook both pack up through the switches and into open slots in your receiver. If you don't have any available slots then use a "Y" cable to get the power where needed
Old 07-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Texas 3D

Default red's site

what is red's website ?
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:00 PM
thomasb

Red S. is this Forum's moderator. His site's link is shown in a sticky post near the top of the Batteries & Chargers Forum post list.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Geistware

C. L. "Red" Scholefield is "THE" battery expert in my opinion. There are many knowledgable people, but to me, he is the expert.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Old 08-20-2002, 05:59 AM
pietermx

Use this to connect 2 batteries. If 1 fails (e.g. dead cell) the voltage will remain stable (the good battery won't try to charge the bad one)... Make sure you use a schottky diode to prevent a voltage drop (user of normal diodes will make the voltage drop by about 0,7V. Using a dobbel schottky diode this will only be 0,3V).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22214_4998.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	12013  
Old 08-20-2002, 08:38 AM
Geistware

PieterMX,
That is the most simple circuit I have seen yet.
Do you have a part number for the dobbel schottky diode?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:24 AM
pietermx

Originally posted by Geistware
PieterMX,
That is the most simple circuit I have seen yet.
Do you have a part number for the dobbel schottky diode?
Nope, I bought this one already with wires connected etc. But however, have a look at http://www.conrad.com/ . Search for schottky and you'll find all information about schottky diodes you need.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:08 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diodes are not needed, one battery will not discharge into the other without the diodes.

Vince
Old 08-20-2002, 11:35 AM
pietermx

Originally posted by Vince
Diodes are not needed, one battery will not discharge into the other without the diodes.

Vince
... try it yourself ... they will
Old 08-20-2002, 03:49 PM
thomasb

I have done that. With two good packs, the current is near zero. With one cell shorted in a 4-cell pack, about 600mA is driven into it by the good pack in an attempt to "charge" it and equalize the volts. But the voltage remains safe (above 4.8V).

I think I would rather take this issue than use the schottky diodes. Here's my thoughts:

(1) Even if you use schottky diodes, you will see a 0.2V or higher v-drop under load at all times. Lower volts is not what I like to see.

(2) Two packs of the same voltage, regardless of capacity, will not "fight" each other when used in parallel.

(3) Charged cells rarely short -- this is an issue that tends to occur to packs that have low charge levels. I do not fly when my Rx packs are low.

(4) If a cell shorts, the increase in current is equal to about one or two active standard servos. Certainly not enough to cause immediate danger.

Folks, regardless of method you use to bridge two packs together, you should still check them with a ESV before each flight (or install two LED style V-monitors). Two on/off switches will allow you to do so.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:00 PM
pietermx

I DO use 2 on/off switches and a schottky diode connection. Safer than most commercial systems which allow you to use only 1 switch...
Old 08-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Blackie

PieterMX,

You need to take a look at this topic (Parallel Operation = Reliability & More Flight Time ) under Reds RC Battery Clinic. It explans why there is no need for the Diode.

Randy
Old 08-21-2002, 12:48 AM
Vince

Originally posted by PieterMX

I have, it doesn't happen. The wives tail about the diodes will just not die....visit Red's website. Why add unnecessary hardware and suffer a voltage drop to boot. Makes no sense.

Vince
Old 08-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Ed

Try to avoid the "Y" connector that someone suggested up above, and use one of the unused receiver channels.

By "Y" connecting parallel packs, you re-introduce the "single point failure mode" potential, thereby eliminating full redundancy.
Use the FULLY REDUNDANT system that Red describes in his clinic.

No diodes, just common sense.

And no, you don't have to de-program the spare channel that you plug into.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Vince

Jim, I think the person that mentioned the "Y" did so with regard to putting it on a used channel. Plug the servo on to one end of the "Y", and the battery on the other.

Regards
Vince
Old 08-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Blackie

Jim, so what you're saying is that by using a "Y" to connect to a single port on the receiver, the actual port on the receiver could go bad?

Randy
Old 08-21-2002, 01:14 PM
mulligan

Blackie, not to speak for Jim, but...

No, using a Y will not cause the port to go bad. Rather, if you put your redundant batteries and redundant switches through one wire by using a Y, IF that single port/wire goes bad, you're toast, so you've in essense lost a bit of your redundancy.

It is better to put the two separate batteries into two different ports on the receiver. If all channels are used, then Y one of the batteries into a servo lead, NOT the other battery lead.

- George
Old 08-21-2002, 08:02 PM
Ed

Originally posted by Blackie
Jim, so what you're saying is that by using a "Y" to connect to a single port on the receiver, the actual port on the receiver could go bad?

Randy
No Randy, you are not going to be bothered with the receiver output failing, but with the SINGLE "Y" connector possibly failing. Instead of plugging two separate, parallel packs into the receiver via separate ports, you will be funneling two battery packs down through a SINGLE "Y" connector. That SINGLE "Y" connector has the potential of failing and negating any back-up battery.

Stay with Reds FULLY REDUNDANT system described in his clinic ! I've been using it for years. It's simple and reliable; and the fewer connectors and electronic components that you have in the battery circuit, the more reliable that battery back-up circuit is going to be.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Blackie

OK makes since.

Thanks
Randy
Old 08-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Geistware

Jim,
What I stated is as follows.
Basically you want to hook both pack up through the switches and into open slots in your receiver. If you don't have any available slots then use a "Y" cable to get the power where needed
I would welcome an explanation on how to hook up a second pack when slots are not available on your receiver!?
Old 08-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Blackie

Using Geistware's method I believe I would do away with the quick disconnects and just solder the Y to both switches leaving the one connector for the reciever. At least you would have a better connection on one end anyway.

Randy
Old 08-22-2002, 12:55 PM
mulligan

No one reads my posts :cry:

Geistware, just use a "Y" connector to connect your second pack with a servo lead. For example, you could Y a battery into your elevator lead on channel 2 and have another battery plugged into a receiver port directly. Both are on the same power bus!

- George
Old 08-22-2002, 01:13 PM
Blackie

Mulligan, can you please help me understand better of what you are illustrating.

How would the duel switch's be connected using your illustration?

*scratches head*

Edit in:
OK after more thought I believe what you are suggesting is use the normal hook up, but use an actual ready made y harness connect one end to say throttle servo lead coming from the servo the other to the switch lead that is coming from the switch and then the single end of the Y goes to throttle port?

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.