RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dual battery hook up ?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 03:49 PM
thomasb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual battery hook up ?

... try it yourself ... they will
I have done that. With two good packs, the current is near zero. With one cell shorted in a 4-cell pack, about 600mA is driven into it by the good pack in an attempt to "charge" it and equalize the volts. But the voltage remains safe (above 4.8V).

I think I would rather take this issue than use the schottky diodes. Here's my thoughts:

(1) Even if you use schottky diodes, you will see a 0.2V or higher v-drop under load at all times. Lower volts is not what I like to see.

(2) Two packs of the same voltage, regardless of capacity, will not "fight" each other when used in parallel.

(3) Charged cells rarely short -- this is an issue that tends to occur to packs that have low charge levels. I do not fly when my Rx packs are low.

(4) If a cell shorts, the increase in current is equal to about one or two active standard servos. Certainly not enough to cause immediate danger.

Folks, regardless of method you use to bridge two packs together, you should still check them with a ESV before each flight (or install two LED style V-monitors). Two on/off switches will allow you to do so.