Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Who makes the best batteries ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Redneck Shaun
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best batteries ?

I'm just getting back into rc planes after about a 12 yr rest period.
I'm about to get a 6v battery for my hitec receiver. Probably 1100mha.
I don't know much about lith. so I'll guess I'll stick with nicad.

Who makes better batteries?

Or would I be just as well off buying a Hitec battery?

I'll be using five Hitec HS635HB servos.
Plus one for the throttle.

P.S.
I'm a rookie so please don't get to techincal! It will go right over my head[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 09-13-2004, 07:28 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Who makes the best batteries ?

sanyo is as good as anybody
Old 09-13-2004, 08:34 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

sanyo. dont know any better If you find better let us know
Old 09-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Pilotsmoe

Sanyo makes the best Nimh. The rest are crap(the peak is not picked up by the charger, and winds up cooking the battery). The Higer quality Sanyo nimh's have a well defined peak, almost like that of a nicad.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Airpirate

The best cells are Sanyo, and the best Receiver and Transmitter packs are made by NoBS Batteries with Sanyo cells. I have several of their on-board ignition and reciever batteries and they are very well made with strong connections and a rubber sleeve heat shrink. The price was right, they cost less delivered than the discount cataloge houses or originals.

They advertise here on RCU or you can vist their store at: www.hangtimes.com

Happy Flying!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:55 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

go to www.radicalrc.com. They are well known here as a quality supplier of batteries.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Airpirate

The best cells are Sanyo, and the best Receiver and Transmitter packs are made by NoBS Batteries with Sanyo cells. I have several of their on-board ignition and reciever batteries and they are very well made with strong connections and a rubber sleeve heat shrink. The price was right, they cost less delivered than the discount cataloge houses or originals.

They advertise here on RCU or you can vist their store at: www.hangtimes.com

Happy Flying!
No BS Batteries should be good. It is owned and run by Steve Anthony who was S&R Batteries' operations and production guy for 12 years. It might give you a clue as to where the name came from. :-)

guy.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
hankpajari

Hi

NoBS batteries, they use Sanyo cells and have great service.

Hank
Old 09-14-2004, 04:44 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO BS Batteries w/o a doubt. Bought SEVERAL packs from them. A-1 service and response and packs built like a brick chit-house. I've tried'em all. No need for me to look any longer. ;-)
Old 09-14-2004, 05:10 PM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

TRY WWW.TROYBUILTMODELS.COM AROUND 25.00 FOR A 2350 LI-PO 2 CELL BATTERIES NO MEMORY ISSUES AND THEY ARE JUST AWESOME
Old 09-15-2004, 10:43 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

NoBS Batteries, without a doubt! All the local clubs buy them and all across America and Europe too. That's why his batteries are ALWAYS the freshest. Never again will I buy a battery somewhere else. I got one from some magazine add and IT was new, but sat on their stock room shelf for who knows how many years. That pack was about the same price but failed 6 months later. Thank god it did'nt fail in one of my giant scale gassers. Wont trust anything else.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:04 AM
ZM2000

What about Cheap Batteries Co., are they anygood?

-ZM
Old 09-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Dan_nO

Actually the other day when i went to buy a flight pack, i was wondering who made the cells for the Hitec packs....i got the cvering back enough on the pack that i had and seen that it had Sanyo cells in it.....anyone else see this ?

Also bought a pack that is a Cermark pack.....it has Sanyo cells in it.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Hangtime
My Feedback: (19)

You might want to check the date codes on your 'new' packs. Quite often, packs and cells from sanyo and other mfg's are dumped into the market that are less than 'fresh'.

Sanyo date codes. ‘De-mystified’

First letter is year, second is month. Example: ‘HK’ would be Nov 2003.

Year Month
A 1996 A JANUARY
B 1997 B FEBUARY
C 1998 C MARCH
D 1999 D APRIL
E 2000 E MAY
F 2001 F JUNE
G 2002 G JULY
H 2003 H AUGUST
I 2004 I SEPTEMBER
J 2005 J OCTOBER
K 2006 K NOVEMBER
L 2007 L DECEMBER

Then there's the basic quality of the pack assembly issue... packs with scrawny interconnects and poor welding consistency & quality coupled with under-guage cabling draped over the tops of the cells without strain reliefs and then finished with plain steel connector contacts might not be the best choice for a pack destined to fly in the R/C environment.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:54 PM
hankpajari

I hope you guys don't take his response as self serving. After buying batteries from him, and having him sell me down from what I thought I needed, I believe he has our best interest at heart.

Having been in this hobby since 1958 and being active in RC since 1971 I have run into all kinds of vendors. I honestly believe that you can depend on NoBS batteries to sell you what you need and NO JUNK.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Hangtime

Hank, thanks for the kind words!

Reality is; I'm a mercenary SOB and while I am a modeler I am also in this business to put food on the table. While the name I chose for my own company could be construed to be a dig at my former employer, it's now the watchword for the way I approach the modeling battery business. A big piece of that involves 'educating' folks on what the facts are in regards to batteries.. what works, why and what the differences are between technology types and when the opportunity presents itself I try and offer help in picking what's appropriate for any given application.

We are all exceptionally lucky with regards to the presence of the RCU battery forum and in particular the wealth of knowledge brought to the tables here by Red Scholefield; a guy who ate for breakfast my former employer many years ago at Toledo.. (a memorable day indeed!) He earned my respect for calling a spade a spade then and he continues to be the hobby's most respected authority on battery technology today.. he's the guy in this forum whose battery commentary is not self-serving, who continuously champions the interests of ALL modelers here by dispensing truth & dispersing myth and he does this mostly thankless task without any agenda other than improving the genre...

Hank, for my part, I remain a 'vendor'; a paid consultant if you will, one who very much understands what the difference is between starving and eating and to those ends I build a good pack and charge a fair price for the end product.. and I bow to the wisdom of intelligent and educated modelers like yourself that recognize that not all battery packs are 'created' equal.

That being said, thanks again to you and all the other respondents above in this thread for the kind words... and your business!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:43 AM
ZM2000

Steve Anthony

Much said about your good NOBS battery packs and I will love to buy from you only after I know whats wrong with Cheapbatterypacks.com who are selling the same Sanyo packs at 30% less.

Will somebody like Red or else enlighten me on this.

-ZM
Old 09-20-2004, 04:32 AM
jbflier

Ok; NOBS Batteries are good.....How do we get them, or do they have a wb site?...........[8D]
Old 09-20-2004, 07:14 AM
ZM2000

Yes it is www.hangtimes.com

-ZM
Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: jbflier

Ok; NOBS Batteries are good.....How do we get them, or do they have a wb site?...........[8D]
Can you give us specific packs for comparison. How about a standard 8 cell AA 700 mAh 2x2x2 pack with Futaba connector as used for radio control transmitter, or 700 mAh 4 cell flat pack with Futaba connector for receiver/servo use.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Hangtime

ORIGINAL: ZM2000

Steve Anthony

Much said about your good NOBS battery packs and I will love to buy from you only after I know whats wrong with Cheapbatterypacks.com who are selling the same Sanyo packs at 30% less.

Will somebody like Red or else enlighten me on this.

-ZM

Hi ZM!

"whats wrong" doesent seem an appropriate or fair description for the supplier you mention. Like me, he's in business to keep food on the table. To help you out with the decison making process you could review our 'whats the difference' page on our website. Beyond that, you might be able to query Red on our pack assembly techniques at some point in the near future.. we've sent him a set of standard AA nicad packs as described above for evaluation.

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Redneck Shaun

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
I'm now using a 4.8v 600mha battery, with standard servos. I can get 4-5 flights out of that set-up with out any worrys.
But on the model that I'm building now I will be using five hitec hs635hb "High Torque servos", plus one std servo for the throttle.
I'm thinking about going to 6volt battery to get more torque/speed.
Is my flying time going to be shortened? Will I still be able to get 4 or 5 flights in ?
Thanks again
Shaun
Old 09-20-2004, 05:52 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shaun russell

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
I'm now using a 4.8v 600mha battery, with standard servos. I can get 4-5 flights out of that set-up with out any worrys.
But on the model that I'm building now I will be using five hitec hs635hb "High Torque servos", plus one std servo for the throttle.
I'm thinking about going to 6volt battery to get more torque/speed.
Is my flying time going to be shortened? Will I still be able to get 4 or 5 flights in ?
Thanks again
Shaun
Hi shaun.

It's hard to say exactly what your needs are w/o knowing exactly what the draw from your new setup will be. I would think you would be very happy with a 1700-2100 NiMH pack (6v) from Steve at www.hangtimes.com . I have had wonderful success with his packs in my giant planes. I use mostly 2400's+ but it depends on your flying style, draw of your servos, digital v. analog servos and lots of other variables to determine exactly what you need. You've never said exactly which plane you're putting this all in that I can recall. Are you planning on flying sport, IMAC or 3D? Use the biggest pack you can afford the weight of or better yet; TWO packs in tandem for redundancy. Two 1700's should suit just about anybody's needs for anything.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Hangtime

Hi Shaun!

If a 4 cell 600 does 4-5 flights for you then upgrading to a 5 cell 600 would offer up about 3-4 flights; assuming everything remains the same. You are correct, 5 cells means more servo speed and torque but there's no free lunch, going to 5 cell ups the current drain so with all things remaing equal the 'cost' is fewer flights between charges.

In your situation, assuming a .60 sized sport bird, and assuming you'd like to stay at 4-5 flights between charges while using a 5 cell pack the capacity should certainly be higher than 600ma. How much higher and what type of cell depends on exactly what type of plane, how it's powered and how you intend to fly it, just a WilsonFlyer mentioned above. The system he's describing is ideal for an agressive flight profile in a .90 or larger powered bird; and he's built in an extra safety margin in his situation by running a parallel pack setup.. perfect for his plane and the way he flys.

Can you tell us more about the plane you are setting up?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Redneck Shaun

Hey thanks to both of you. Thats the info that I was looking for.

The plane : Funtana 90
saito 100
Five Hitec hs 635 hb http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_fs.htm "High torque servo"
One Hitec hs 322 hb " just a standard servo"

I have the plane balance with the battery all the way up in the nose with the stock Hitec 4.8v battery.
But it is still a tad tail heavy! So I think a little heaver battery would not hurt!!!
This is my first 3-d plane, so I wont be going to wild ( at least at first ) no IMAC, Most of the flying will just be sport.
thx
Shaun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.