Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Which Battery and why

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM
secret_squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Battery and why

Can someone please explain the difference between these two batteries and why I should pay more for the one

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNHS4&P=0]Hobbico HydriMax 5C 6V 2000mAh NiMH AA Flat Receiver U [/link]

or

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLX50&P=0]Hobbico HydriMax 5C 6V 2000mAh NiMH Flat 4/5A Rx U Pana[/link]

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
secret_squirrel

Default RE: Which Battery and why

ORIGINAL: secret_squirrel

Can someone please explain the difference between these two batteries and why I should pay more for the one

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNHS4&P=0]Hobbico HydriMax 5C 6V 2000mAh NiMH AA Flat Receiver U [/link]

or

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLX50&P=0]Hobbico HydriMax 5C 6V 2000mAh NiMH Flat 4/5A Rx U Pana[/link]

Thanks in advance,
Dan
I plan on installing the Rx pack in a Funtana 100 with 6 JR 821 digital servos.

TIA again,
Dan
Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Capt Lou

Before you invest in a new nimh pack, you should look at the 2300 mah A123 battery pack. Take a look at www.hangtimes.com to understand the A123. You won't regret it.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
secret_squirrel

ORIGINAL: Capt Lou

Before you invest in a new nimh pack, you should look at the 2300 mah A123 battery pack. Take a look at www.hangtimes.com to understand the A123. You won't regret it.
I don't believe my Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite will charge these batteries. While they look like a great option, I am not ready to purchase a charger at this stage in the game.

Thanks though.

Still curious on peoples thoughts.
Dan
Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Ernie Misner

Hopefully someone will answer the question though.... both 2000mah packs and one considerably more expensive than the other..... ?

Ernie
Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Well I don't know a ton about these things, but:
The Panasonic cells are smaller and have the same capacity, thus they are more expensive. It is important to note that the 4/5A pack is NOT recommended for high discharge rates associated with digital servos - they will draw too much current and drop the voltage below a safe operating level.

The Sanyo cell pack is larger but is also lighter. It is approved for high discharge rates as stated on the page.

Lucky you, you need/want the less expensive AND LIGHTER pack
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
secret_squirrel

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Well I don't know a ton about these things, but:
The Panasonic cells are smaller and have the same capacity, thus they are more expensive. It is important to note that the 4/5A pack is NOT recommended for high discharge rates associated with digital servos - they will draw too much current and drop the voltage below a safe operating level.

The Sanyo cell pack is larger but is also lighter. It is approved for high discharge rates as stated on the page.

Lucky you, you need/want the less expensive AND LIGHTER pack
And that is why I asked the question. I couldn't figure out why the apparently better pack was cheaper. First time in close to 15 years in this hobby that has ever happened to me.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I purchased the Sanyo pack.

Last question. Is there any difference between 4/5a packs and AA packs besides size/weight?

TIA

Dan
Old 01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the Panasonic is a 4/5A is a shorter fatter cell, the AA cell is longer and thinner.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless the small increase in weight and size is critical, for high current operations you are better of with NiCad rather than NiMh as they have a lower internal impedance and will give you twice the liftetime (number of charge/discharge cycles).
Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
hitecrcman
Banned

Save your money and make your own packs. I use DURACEL 2650 MAH from WALMART and the work just fine.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Ernie Misner

How are you going about soldering them together?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Making your own battery pace is easy. Use a 100 wat soldering gun. scuff the ends of the cells, apply a little flux, then a small drop of solder. You can us Ks brass material for bars between the batteries...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Ernie Misner

Ahhh the 100 W soldering does the job FAST so as not to overheat the battery internals I bet. Great idea. I once thought it might be a good idea to put a piece of flexible wire between the cells so you could cram them into the tight places like way back into the tail or something.

Ernie