Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Intermittent Signal Lost 2.4??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Intermittent Signal Lost 2.4??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intermittent Signal Lost 2.4??

I found an exposed metal rod about 1" from the rx. I just covered it with a rubber tubing. I am going to fly it tomorrow very carefully and will let you guys know.
Unfortunately the other plane was crashed and I have no way to know now if it too had an exposed metal rod[X(]
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
wicker_bill

Does anyone have any experience with Hobby King 2.4 systems?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

similar to Turnigy's 9X i Beleive
Old 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
dolittel

OK GUYS I HAVE AND[JR]12X FOR TWO YEARS NOW ! I STARTED TO HAVE BROWN OUT OR SOMETHINGI LOST TWO PLANES LAST SEASON , 50CC  AND PYLON RACER ! TO MAKE A LONG STORY LONGER I SENT IT ALL IN TO [JR]!!!! THE THING THAT IN THE TRANS.THAT BRINGS  THE VOLT DOWN TO 3.5 V WAS OVER HEATING LOCKING OUT THE TRANS! [JR] PUT  HEAVY DUTY ONE HOPE THAT IT?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
wl7cpa

Buy an Aurora 9....Hitec....NO issues
Old 01-15-2011, 03:36 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RAIDER11

OK GUYS I HAVE AND[JR]12X FOR TWO YEARS NOW ! I STARTED TO HAVE BROWN OUT OR SOMETHINGI LOST TWO PLANES LAST SEASON , 50CC AND PYLON RACER ! TO MAKE A LONG STORY LONGER I SENT IT ALL IN TO [JR]!!!! THE THING THAT IN THE TRANS.THAT BRINGS THE VOLT DOWN TO 3.5 V WAS OVER HEATING LOCKING OUT THE TRANS! [JR] PUT HEAVY DUTY ONE HOPE THAT IT?

I'm not quite sure I even understand what it is you are trying to say. You might try again, this time using complete sentences.

CGr.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

OK GUYS I HAVE AND[JR]12X FOR TWO YEARS NOW ! I STARTED TO HAVE BROWN OUT OR SOMETHINGI LOST TWO PLANES LAST SEASON , 50CC AND PYLON RACER ! TO MAKE A LONG STORY LONGER I SENT IT ALL IN TO [JR]!!!! THE THING THAT IN THE TRANS.THAT BRINGS THE VOLT DOWN TO 3.5 V WAS OVER HEATING LOCKING OUT THE TRANS! [JR] PUT HEAVY DUTY ONE HOPE THAT IT?
I'm not quite sure I even understand what it is you are trying to say. You might try again, this time using complete sentences.
CGr.
AND TURN THE "CAPS LOCK" OFF!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
fatboys124
My Feedback: (2)

Send your tx back to horizon and have the RF board checked, I had the same issue and lost a plane and then pulled my hair out trying to figure out why,long story short I upgraded to a DX7 and not a problem since.The DX6i burned the RF board about six months into use with no warning and no problems any other time.Horizon fixed the issue with really fast turn around but i was on my own with the destroyed plane and gear Good Luck
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Srewinkel

Just my opinion, and take it how you wish.  I am far from an expert flyer.  far from the perfect plane setup, but never once, and I mean never have i had a problem with signal.  my antennas don't always point 90 degrees from each other, batteries aren't fully charged, and again never a problem.  I have seen a lot of planes go down with a certain brand of radio, wether it be pilot error, or equipment, who knows.  It all goes back to.. "you get what you pay for"
Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 AM
lopflyers

Im not sure if I understand what you are trying to say. Spektrum is not cheap in my point of view.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
CGRetired

By anyone's point of view. They are very competitively priced, right along with Futaba, Airtronics, JR, and Hitec.

CGr.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 AM
TimBle

CGr.

I think he saying that he his 2yr old JR 12X started glitching and he sent it too the Suits. They checked it out and found that the voltage regulator in the Transmitter was overheating and thus the Tx stopped working intermittantly...

but I could be wrong...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM
lopflyers

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

Some questions if I may.

1. Which way have you got the transmitter antenna oriented?

2. Which way have you got the receiver antennae oriented?

3. Receiver battery sizes and types and voltage?

4. Are there any metallic objects closer than one inch to any antenna?

5. Did the lockouts happen in the same place on the field?

I have been using a Spektrum DX7 for a couple of years now and never had any problems. I have been using a Hitec Optic 6 2.4 for about 1 year with no problems and I have a JR 2610 with a Fly Dream 2.4 module in it and it has been fine for about a year. The only problem I have had in the last year has been at a fly in and I had a clash with another 36 meg radio.

To me it seems that your transmitter is the common link but if you are using the same sorts of batteries, then that may be a problem or there may be some RF problem at your site but if there is, others should be having problems too.
Right on my man. I found an exposed metal rod, I covered it with rubber tubbing. Today I took the plane to the field and the most experienced pilot flew it without brownouts.
Problem solved, really cheap and quick.
Thx to everyone
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM
CGRetired

Ummm.. covering it with anything isn't a cure. Moving it or the receiver away from this metal rod IS a solution. The potential problem is not that it may not be insulated, but that it is metalic and in close proximity to the receiver antenna.

If your intermittent signal loss is no longer an issue, it's probably because you did something else, not that you put rubber tubing over the metal rod.

CGr.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
opjose

CGr.
It sounds like he's talking about a voltage regulator being at fault... which makes sense.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
CGRetired

Now that I re-read it and after two of you pointed that out to me.. [X(] I tend to agree with that. An overheating voltage regulator would certainly cause problems of that sort.

CGr.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
lopflyers

And that means back to the factory?
Is this something my LHS can look in to?
If the rubber tubing worked yesterday, should I be concerned that it might happen again?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
lopflyers

I have 4 planes but only one transmitter, that means I will be grounded for one month[X(]
Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

I have 4 planes but only one transmitter, that means I will be grounded for one month[X(]
Nah... JR's service guys are FAST!!!

I sent a out of production TX to them some time ago for repair.

They replaced the memory battery, installed new Bezels, fixed a blown input diode, etc...

The radio was back in my hands in about 15 days total from the day it left.

You DO NOT want to trust your LHS with this kind of thing, and they'll just send it to JR anyway, which will take more time because the LHS is involved.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Srewinkel

Just my opinion, and take it how you wish. I am far from an expert flyer. far from the perfect plane setup, but never once, and I mean never have i had a problem with signal. my antennas don't always point 90 degrees from each other, batteries aren't fully charged, and again never a problem. I have seen a lot of planes go down with a certain brand of radio, wether it be pilot error, or equipment, who knows. It all goes back to.. "you get what you pay for"

exactly