Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd. Airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd. Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd. Airplane

OK, first of all I am a beginner. I am currently flying the Apprentice 15 E with an instructor. I haven't soloed yet, but I am already looking for a second plane. LOLToday I will begin using a recently purchased Spektrum DX8 Tx. Along with this I have a compatible
AR 8000 Rx. That being said, I would like your comments, suggestions and/orinput as to what to get. I will list the things I would like. Let me say that I do not mind comments such as, "you're crazy, an idiot, or just plain old, you're full of s**t!"

Electric, low wing.
Airframe to be constructed of balsa and plywood w/ monocote cover.
Aileron, rudder, elevator and flaps (Would like to have retracts, but the club is a grass runway, so that might not be advisable)
Can be PNPor ARF.No kits. If ARF,please suggest powerplant, compatible battery, etc. I don't need a speed burner, but would like to be able to go vertical for a ways, and be fairly manuverable.
Sounds like I am asking you to build my plane and in reality, you will be!! Have at it.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 AM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2nd. Airplane

Read this, and set it up like I did for the review:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1339]E-flite Advance 25e ARF[/link]

It is a great combination and an excellent flyer! The plane will go vertical for a LONG time before slowing down!

I love mine!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

G.Barber gave you a good recommendation. If you want more, this question has been answered hundreds of times in the last year, and hundreds more in the year before that. The search button at the top of the screen will give you tons on the topic of "second plane," "first low wing," or "best sport plane." Once you've read up on the available planes, it'll be productive to ask questions about specific models if there's still anything unclear.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:13 AM
TruBlu02

Great Planes Escapade is another great second plane. It can be done as either a glow or electric model and includes instruction and hardware for both set ups. All the reccomended gear is shown in great detail in tha manual. You can also get an optional cowling for it that makes the electric install look really good.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 AM
levram1

Thank you all for the reply. I guess I didn't know quite what to ask. I am sure that the threads that you suggested will answer all of my questions and concerns. Again, thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM
1320Fastback

A buddy of mine converted this NitroPlanes trainer to electric.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a185b-g...iner-blue.html

He runs it on 8 cell with a motor the size of a soda can and it hauls the mail when throttled up but is still capable of very slow flight and has really good slow speed manners.

Being a trainer helps with the handling too.

It does not have flaps but really doesn't need them.

For the price its a good value as a second plane.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
scooterinvegas

The Pulse 40 flys like a dream is comes Brush-less ready. Doesn't need flaps, lands slow without them.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...100#quickSpecs

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4046A

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLA1060

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-4s1p.html
Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

A buddy of mine converted this NitroPlanes trainer to electric.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a185b-g...iner-blue.html

He runs it on 8 cell with a motor the size of a soda can and it hauls the mail when throttled up but is still capable of very slow flight and has really good slow speed manners.

Being a trainer helps with the handling too.

It does not have flaps but really doesn't need them.

For the price its a good value as a second plane.
I purchased two of these and gave one completely set up to a novice as his first trainer.

For the price it is a good value, however there are many things that require a more experienced hand...

I found that it really needs one servo per aileron. The two planes that I received use one servo for both and the default linkages are VERY prone to flutter as it comes because of this. There was no mounting space for the aileron servos so I had to fabricate them.

The landing gear is a bit too far forward which makes the plane sit on it's tail even when the C.G. is perfect.

The landing gear is also prone to bending as it comes, so I had to add a "doubler" of sorts ( a second music wire soldered to the first at 90 degrees ) to prevent it from shifting or bending even on light landings.

The nose gear provided also tends to bend easily and the plane could use a good Fults nose gear.

There were a few other more minor items as well.

If someone is going to build and set the plane up for the novice, it is an excellent trainer.... however if the novice is going to put it together themselves, not so much.

Still if the above is done, it is much more robust than the smaller Pulses and Escapades.. and ultimately less expensive for the size.

However the Pulse IMHO is a better choice if you don't want to go through all of the above.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
jester_s1

Something else you may not have noticed yet is that if you find a plane you like that's glow powered, nearly any of them can be converted to electric without much work if you're good with woodworking.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I'm with scooter. If that pulse flies like the .60 sized Pulse, you can't beat it for a gentle/sporty second plane. Goes together with a screwdriver.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM
G.Barber

I will say that , yes, the Pule's are great airplanes as well. I did have the 1.25 size, and it was a very forgiving plane!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
DenverJayhawk

I still think you should look at a Big Stik even though you want a low wing. Don't get hung up on the sleek looks of the other models. You'll quickly appreciate the no fuss, rugged, dependable, and easy to repair nature of the Stik. Especially since it's your 2nd model.

If you want to stay low wing electric, I would also consider something from Extreme Flight or 3dhobbyshop if you want real performance including vertical. Look at both company's offerings in the 48" lineup. Just keep the rates low and they're very docile sport fliers. Then when you're ready, turn it up and you have a 3D monster
Old 09-03-2011, 09:58 PM
mpw_8679

Gotta say go with a pulse. I have the 60 size and it is very forgiving and easy to fly. I would also look at the Ultra Stick also from Hangar 9.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

I still think you should look at a Big Stik even though you want a low wing. Don't get hung up on the sleek looks of the other models. You'll quickly appreciate the no fuss, rugged, dependable, and easy to repair nature of the Stik. Especially since it's your 2nd model.
Yup...

The Stik beats the Pulse or Escapade in these arenas...

Equipped with the right engine it will also out 3D the Pulse or Escapade ( I can torque roll my Big Stik 60 even though it is not a 3D plane ).

I like both the Pulse and Escapade, but the Stik is more robust, better in the wind, and perfect for Fun Flys.
Deadsticks? Who cares, the Stik WILL come back for a landing due to it's excellent glide ratio.

I have five dramatic crashes on my Stik now, including one nose in at full throttle that smashed the firewall off, tore off the gear, and broke the fuse in three places, plus snapped off the wing peg...

A couple of hours of work ( minus drying time ), some hobby ply from a local Craft store, a bit of covering, and it still looks new after 460+, 18 minute flights.... I've worn out six sets of wheels too.

Gotta love those easy to reproduce shapes...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:55 PM
scooterinvegas

I have a bunch of Sticks too. If I had to pick between a stick or one of my Pulse's, I would take to stick (Ultra). Great flying planes.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
DenverJayhawk

My Big Stik 60 was easier to fly then my nexStar trainer. It was also 1000 times more capable while being easier to repair. Everyone should throw their trainers out the window and just buy a Stik.

OPjose - you and I have been singing the same song on Stiks for a while now. it's just too bad people are turned off on them because of the looks. There's something to be said about having what is essentially a square box for a fuse. Repairs are EASY!

I still lament selling my Stik 60 with the OS95ax. I just got tired of always buying glow fuel for that big sucker.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:32 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Well second plane sugestions are hard as no one knows really what you want but you. I have a pulse 60 it is a very good plane I have had an escapade good plane also. the GP Cherokee is a good plane. I would also suggest the GP Super sportster EP. I recently got one and well it is just a ball. I wish I had bought it earlier as it is a bit docile but a very capable sport low wing plane.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

G.Barber gave you a good recommendation. If you want more, this question has been answered hundreds of times in the last year, and hundreds more in the year before that. The search button at the top of the screen will give you tons on the topic of ''second plane,'' ''first low wing,'' or ''best sport plane.'' Once you've read up on the available planes, it'll be productive to ask questions about specific models if there's still anything unclear.
Thanks for the Non Answer. Of the thousand of posts on RC Universe, some with hundreds of pages, it is often difficult, if not impossible to find what you want without spending days searching. This is especially hard for someone new. Other people didn't mind helping a new guy out, so why do some people think Old posts are the best? Many times my searches turn up threads that are 5 to 10 years old and do not apply to the information I want. It's always nice to have "new" thoughts

By the way, I did a search to find this thread and appreciate the information people have put on it.
And if you like reading other threads, check this one out to see what some people think about this topic: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 PM
jester_s1

It's not a non-answer. I'm pointing you to the information you need. I've read several dozen "best second plane" threads in the last couple of years, and every one of them goes a different direction with different planes recommended. Two minutes of searching will let you see which planes get recommended over and over by different people, and you'll also find discussion in different threads about different planes. It doesn't take days, and a thread that is a month old is not "old posts."
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

My Big Stik 60 was easier to fly then my nexStar trainer. It was also 1000 times more capable while being easier to repair. Everyone should throw their trainers out the window and just buy a Stik.

OPjose - you and I have been singing the same song on Stiks for a while now. it's just too bad people are turned off on them because of the looks. There's something to be said about having what is essentially a square box for a fuse. Repairs are EASY!

I still lament selling my Stik 60 with the OS95ax. I just got tired of always buying glow fuel for that big sucker.
What do you mean they "don't like the looks"? LOL I agree with the Stick vote 100%. A stick that can use his gear from the Apprentice would be super.
A .15 0r 25 size would do. True a stick is an easy fixin plane. It is probably the simplest scratch build ever as well.

here is a free plan tha could be minorly scaled up or down to fit. I think it might be fine as is, BUILD LIGHT[8D]

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xv65078.pdf (370.5 KB, 10 views)