Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

buzzing servo

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

buzzing servo

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Numbness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buzzing servo

Hey all,

Doing my first ARF assembly and one of my servos is buzzing (rudder / nosewheel). This happens everytime I turn the receiver switch on, even without control input and no different with control input. The servo seems to respond normally to control input. There isn't any chatter, just buzzing. The binding procedure was followeduneventfully and I always have my radio on before turning the receiver switch on. Here's my equipment list:

Rx: Spektrum AR6210
Servos: standard analog Spektrum 6050
Battery: 6V, 2500 mAh
Tx: Spektrum DX6i

Any thoughts?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
opjose

Default RE: buzzing servo

Don't hold the TX so close to the plane.

This can happen when the TX is close and the RX pack is freshly charged.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

You stated that it is the rudder/nose wheel servo. Remove the servo wheel from the servo & see if it still buzzes. If so your problem is a bind somewhere in the rudder/ nose wheel linkage....Gene
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Numbness

Opjose -
OK, tried moving the Tx further away. Still buzzing with 30 ft separation and otherwise normal operation.

Gene -
I'll try removing the servo wheel, will let you know.

Thanks guys

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Numbness

OK, no more buzzing with servo wheel off. So how do I put it back on so it doesn't buzz anymore?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM
opjose

The problem is not the "wheel", rather that too much resistive force is being applied to the servo's movement.

Make sure that the rudder & nose wheel move FREELY when the servo wheel is disconnected from the servo.

There should be almost no resistance to movement what-so-ever.

Also make sure that the two wires or pushrods are not pulling against each other, so to speak.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Numbness

I'll check.  Thanks

Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the causes of over-current draw with aircraft RC systems is binding in the linkage. Particularly the nose wheel steering and the throttle. Make sure that you center the servo before making any adjustments (that goes for ALL servos) then make sure that the servo movement does not try to exceed the available movememt of the particular control you are working with.

If it's the throttle, do NOT try to force the throttle to go further than the carb throttle arm will allow. It is often overlooked and is frequently a source of linkage binding. The same with the nose wheel. If you try to move it more than it will move, the servo will keep pushing or pulling and will do two things: bind causing over draw of the battery and probably "buzz" as you described.

We have outlined the necessary throttle mechanical adjustments in prior posts so do a little searching to find the appropriate info (do NOT rely on computer radio end-point settings) to make sure that you have good throttle resolution as well as no binding. This also applies to every other action that the servos are working.

These are settings that really deserve your maximun attention to because, in the case of binding servos and over current (possibly the cause of the buzzing noise), is a much faster drain on your battery pack. If it drains to quickly, it could quit in the middle of a flight with the results being disasterous.

CGr.