Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new to airplanes but not helicopters

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new to airplanes but not helicopters

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 PM
stalefishsk8er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to airplanes but not helicopters

hello people, i am new to flying airplanes and i have flown helicopters in the past but looking to get into flying airplanes, i've been thinking of building a nitro powered aircraft with the servos and traxxas trx 2.5 engine from my traxxas 2.5 t-maxx. i've been looking at the piper j3 cub ultramicro scaled aircraft from horizon hobby but been looking at some other airplanes as well.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new to airplanes but not helicopters

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can use a car engine on an airplane. The drive mechanism is different.

CGr.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition to what CG pointed out. Is your car/truck/buggy/boat transmitter a pistol grip type? If so then that is not going to work out at all for airplane use.

Find a local airplane club, get involved or network with local airplane flyers and find a mentor. Don,t spend any money untill you get suggestions from the folks who are going to be helping you.

John
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Ground motors in a plane will run too cold, and not run very well. I had tried to run a Heli motor in a  plane and had to shround the head to get it to run right.  They load up if they dont reach the right temp.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

In addition to what CG pointed out. Is your car/truck/buggy/boat transmitter a pistol grip type? If so then that is not going to work out at all for airplane use.

Find a local airplane club, get involved or network with local airplane flyers and find a mentor. Don,t spend any money untill you get suggestions from the folks who are going to be helping you.

John

Yes, very good advice above. Also.. Somebody might have something for sale to get you started.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
stalefishsk8er

so basically just talk to people and find out what is good to use instead of making some ghetto aircraft
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: stalefishsk8er

so basically just talk to people and find out what is good to use instead of making some ghetto aircraft

Yes indeed you said the magic words, talk to other flyers face to face, its called networking. get involved

I have no idea what a getto aircraft is, but if it is to you what I think then its a real bad idea. Trying to cobble together some sort of airplane may be fun but if you don,t know how to fly then its simply not going to work. At least accomplish the mission you really want and this to learn how to fly RC aircraft.

Its always better to start with a real trainer type and not worry how good or sexy an airplane may look.

John
Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You nailed it, stalefishsk8er. And kudos to you for getting it so quickly. Some guys will argue for a week in the beginner forum that their jerry rigged idea will work, then leave when we won't agree with them. The RTF packages are usually pretty good and have the right components. If you're thinking bigger, any .40 sized ARF with any commonly available .40-.46 ball bearing engine will do the trick. But that generally requires a club or lots of private land to fly on.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM
stalefishsk8er

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

You nailed it, stalefishsk8er. And kudos to you for getting it so quickly. Some guys will argue for a week in the beginner forum that their jerry rigged idea will work, then leave when we won't agree with them. The RTF packages are usually pretty good and have the right components. If you're thinking bigger, any .40 sized ARF with any commonly available .40-.46 ball bearing engine will do the trick. But that generally requires a club or lots of private land to fly on.

I'm thinking about starting small like ultramicro scale like i did when i started flying helicopters. the airplanes i've been looking at are the horizon hobby ultramicro scale piper j3 cub, the super cub DSM, and the p51 mustang DSM right now

Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: stalefishsk8er

I'm thinking about starting small like ultramicro scale like i did when i started flying helicopters. the airplanes i've been looking at are the horizon hobby ultramicro scale piper j3 cub, the super cub DSM, and the p51 mustang DSM right now
The t-28 is great for this, exactly what I learned to fly on. Can take tons of abuse. The Corsair is not that good to learn on, it shatters when it hits the ground wrong.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The ultra micro series is actually harder to fly than the bigger ones, and they are far more fragile. I have one of the micro helis and it's a blast, but think of taking it outside on a windy day and see what happens. The standard Hobby Zone Super Cub is hard to beat for a learn alone plane. Bigger is easier to see at distance, which gives you some time when you're in a weird position and you need to think, and it allows you to relax and let the plane fly without having to constantly turn it. Get 3 batteries and at least one extra motor mount (they break easily) and you'll have a blast with it.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 PM
stalefishsk8er

The ultra micro series is actually harder to fly than the bigger ones, and they are far more fragile. I have one of the micro helis and it's a blast, but think of taking it outside on a windy day and see what happens. The standard Hobby Zone Super Cub is hard to beat for a learn alone plane. Bigger is easier to see at distance, which gives you some time when you're in a weird position and you need to think, and it allows you to relax and let the plane fly without having to constantly turn it. Get 3 batteries and at least one extra motor mount (they break easily) and you'll have a blast with it.
well the ultramicros are under $200 well the ones i am looking at which makes it easy on my wallet

Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Stalefishsk8er, If you were an accomplished heli pilot you shouldnt have much if any problem learning to fly fixed wing aircraft. I have given my trainer to several heli pilots and they have taken off & landed unassisted on their first flight. You will just have to learn to not be heavy on the rudder in turns. If you are serious about fixed wing flying take a good look at the .40 size arf market. Lots of stuff out there at reasonable prices. Like stated above, get some help from a fixed wing pilot at first & in no time you'll be flying on your own....Gene