Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4.8 NIMH battery

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4.8 NIMH battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 4.8 NIMH battery

ORIGINAL: grizzdaddy

WOW!! Thank you all for this awesome information.....I was thinking of asctually building/soldering my own packs but thought it might be a little risky. Just to make sure that I am right on this when cking the battery you want to see what the volts are under a load right. I cked my servo's and the averge draw is about .025 to .05 amps. When I normally ck the battery I use the Hangar 9 battery checker at 2amp draw, is this where I might be messing up? Because by what everyone is saying I am only good for one maybe two flights and that sucks
It is and as gene pointed out even those of us that solder all the time can destroy a pack just by over heating the battery a little. I have Batteries Plus make me up fresh packs. I had also scored a number of Eneloop batteries and I just went to Radio Shack and bought a couple of battery holders for them, poped in the batteries, soldered on the plugs as a splice into the two wires that are on the holders and Shazam, new Eneloop packs. The packs are a bit wider then the normal packs we buy but they work great. Tape or shrink wrap can be used to hold the batteries in the holder.
Eneloops are great, charge them today and several months later they are still charged up. Very little self discharge. That's there great claim to fame. They can be found at any camera shop/store.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
midastouch_73
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mess around with the 4.8v packs... It's best to look at the requirements for your radio. You'll notice the recommendations for your servos and receiver voltages. You'll lose a plane like I did fooling with those things. It's better to go to a 5 cell 2200mah 6.0v pack you'll live to fly another day..... Spend less and you'll spend twice
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

A higher voltage pack (6V)doesn't mean longer run time, just that the servos operate faster. The low-voltage limit of about 1.1V/cell is the same, so little is gained by going with an extra cellIf you need faster servos, by all means go with the added cell. If you want longer duration, add milliamp-hours.

Far better to carry the weight of a fatter 4-cell. IOW, a 4-cell 2200 pack lasts about the same as a 5-cell 2200, the 5-cell setup has faster servos. Voltage is the size of the pipe, milliamps is the size of the container.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
grizzdaddy
My Feedback: (6)

I think I am going to go with a higher Millamp and be done with it. As far as the collection I have already started. I have a 50cc ultimate bi 160, ultimate bi .46 glow aand a hobbico superstar 40. Fixing to start a a 25% pilot Sbach and trying to understand all these batteries out there. Never got to far indepth with them until now. Thanks again for all of the help..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One final comment many people have given figures for NICADS it is important to know that the discharge curve for NIMS is different and MUCH steeper below 1.1 volts per call and like a cliff at 1.05 volts.

I had 3 minutes to tranny shutdown at 8.4 volts.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM
lcgj

Hi sense your all on the topic I have some questions with charging a 6V 2500 mah JR rx pack with a Triton charger. So started charging it at .5 mah and the volts got up over 7.0 and about 1700 mah so I stopped it , the battery was not HOT. Is this normal to get over 7.0 volts. I also think that the higher volts are making a couple of my servos twitch. I would rather just charge the battery with my wall charger that came with the radio but I am not sure if its compatible.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: lcgj

I have some questions with charging a 6V 2500 mah JR rx pack with a Triton charger. So started charging it at .5 mah and the volts got up over 7.0 and about 1700 mah so I stopped it , the battery was not HOT.
.5 mah? Are you sure you do not mean 500mah or 1/2 Ah? .5mah sounds very very low for any battery since most nicads and nimh charge at 1/10C or 250 ma. (for a 2500mah pack) for normal charging. Fast charging would be differnt but they would need to be monitored to make sure they did not overheat during charging.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 AM
lcgj

Yes .5A is what it is charging at. I was trying to charge it a little longer the first time. if the pack was empty it would take 4.5 hours to charge. I would like to use my wall charger is it compatible with a 6V NIMH.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not charge at some mah, you charge at some ma. mah means milliampers times the time it flows at the stated milliamperes. You charge at some current rate which can be expressed in amperes , milliamperes being 1/1000 of an ampere.
And yes, your 5 cell battery can typically approach 7.1 to 7.2 volts at full charge. If you are charging at about a 0.1C rate, you will not damage the battery should you leave it on charge to long. You will need to put in about 120% of the rated capacity to fully charge a discharged battery as the charging process is not 100% efficient.