Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a plane for me?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can you recommend a plane for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 AM
jackle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you recommend a plane for me?

I am new to planes, but not new to RC. I have owned a Kyosho Concept 30 advanced helicopter, many 1/5 scale petrol offroad cars, and many nitro & electric rc cars. So, I have lots of experience, but not with planes. And do not think I am a good flier because I "owned" a heli. The helicopter experience was a complete disaster. The salesman at the hobby shop sold me an advanced model, saying i'd grow out of a "simpler" model too quickly. I trained and trained with great planes simulator, only to crash it every time I went out. Each crashed seemed to cost me over $100.00, sometimes much more. Finally, I gave up and sold it. Here is what I am looking for in an RC plane..

Budget $300.00 to be in the air.

I prefer "RTF" in this instance as I don't have a lot of spare time, but I do love to assemble. So, non RTF recommendations are ok too.

It must work in my backyard... I have a fairly large backyard in the country, my "yard" is about 3 acres (another 6 is wooded), but its all sloped. My driveway has a sttraightaway that is probably 100 yards. But then, it will need to climb relatively fast to get above the tree line. My entire property is covered by trees, but due to the "slope" of my land, I can see above the tree line. It would seem this might be ok to fly?

I am not interested in "3D" flying or anything advanced. I would llike to just fly around my yard, and above the tree line. I would like good range.

Must be electric.

I dont want something that is a complete beginner, pile of crap, I.E. i'm not looking for a "toy". It just doesn't need to be advanced. Perhaps something that can be modified to be more advanced down the road. Perhaps, such a thing doesnt even exist within my requirements, if this is the case le tme know that too.

Any advice? Am I crazy to think I can fly in my yard?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can you recommend a plane for me?

I recommend the Apprentice 15e from Horizon Hobby. Its about your price range and you can buy replacement parts. It balances and flys decent right out of the box. I've trained many students on that one. But it would be a good idea to find a club to at least learn from their instructor, then after you solo, fly at your site. Practice on a sim is good. I've had students with lots of hours (20 to 40) on the sim solo in 5 to 10 flights. They only needed help with landing.
Edwin
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 AM
70x7

I'm having a lot of fun learning on the Hobbyzone Champ. It is only 3 channel, so it is not the 'destination' airplane, but the advantages for you are: 1. very small and appropriate for your backyard, 2. slow and simple making teaching yourself a definite reality, 3. very durable, you will crash it and it will survive a great deal of abuse, and 4. inexpensive, at less than $100, you can learn on this one for a few months, then have $$ to step up to 4 channel. Unless you want to go to a club and pay an instructor, I think this is a great way to go, and don't think that because it's 3 channel and relatively slow that it's not a great deal of fun.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I want to clarify some information here. You pay to join the AMA and the club. You dont pay instructors. The AMA gets you liability insurance which may be required at some flying sites, even city or county parks. The club gets you a nice place to fly. A big flight box and access to instructors. I also fly behind my house when I cant get to the flying field very often.
Edwin
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 AM
pitts M 12

My recommendation would be the hobbyzone supercub, its durable and about $200 RTF and it fly's wonderfully but just watch out for wind. I can vouch for it as it was my trainer. All parts are replaceable if 5 min epoxy can't fix it. Also a free simulator such as FMS or RC desk pilot are invaluable training aids to be used to get used to the heading towards you stick control.

Good luck
JM

Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 AM
70x7

I didn't mean to imply any sort of jab at clubs or instructorssorry if my post read that way. The OPasked about flying in his backyard, I think the smaller, slower Champ is well suited for a backyard is all.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM
jackle

Excellent, thanks for your responses. I will begin researching these and let you know which ones I chose and why. I have begun looking for AMA clubs in my area.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Type in your area code here and your local clubs will pop up in whatever mile radius you select:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Also No one can tell you whether or not your field is sufficient for whatever airplane without seeing it. From your description it sounds scary. Get involved with your local club where you will find new friends and mentorship. Maybe later find out if your field will work.

I had many fellows whom I had mentored want to fly at 'their' fields only later to show up with new airplane because they destroyed their airplanes on an inappropriate field.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Start out cheap with a UM-T28 for $100. If you have a paved driveway, perfect. It's small so anything under 10 MPH winds are fine, and if you crash it, just tape up what breaks with packing tape.  Batteries are cheap, you can get a bunch of them for about $5-$7 each and fly about 10 minutes on each one.   I learned to fly with one, and stepped up to the Apprentice after that.  I now have a Kadet LT40 which is a GREAT plane to have, but too big for my 5 acres, so it would be too big for yours.  

Without seeing your property though, I can't recommend the Apprentice, it is not a park flyer, and does need room.  Once you get the hang of flying the UM T-28, you can step up to the Park Flyer T-28 and still be able to fly that at home. 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
jackle

Yea, I agree, my land is probably scary for a plane of any size. I think its "do-able" for an experiened pilot, but probably not for me as a beginner. I did find a club near me in Cortland NY. I might pop in and check them out, see if I can get someone to train me and go that route. This sounds like a rewarding hobby.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: jackle

Yea, I agree, my land is probably scary for a plane of any size. I think its ''do-able'' for an experiened pilot, but probably not for me as a beginner. sounds like a rewarding hobby.

Indeed very intuitive of you and I suspect you will get off to a great start

John
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Type in your area code here and your local clubs will pop up in whatever mile radius you select:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Also No one can tell you whether or not your field is sufficient for whatever airplane without seeing it. From your description it sounds scary. Get involved with your local club where you will find new friends and mentorship. Maybe later find out if your field will work.

I had many fellows whom I had mentored want to fly at 'their' fields only later to show up with new airplane because they destroyed their airplanes on an inappropriate field.

John
Especially someone's back yard. What bothers me about these types of posts is that people think of these things as "just your plain backyard toys" without considering what can happen when they lose control of these things. Part of this, heck, most of this, is the manufacturer's advertizements that say "yeah, sure, you can fly this from your drive way or backyard or on your street in front of your house". Although not specifically stated, it is implied and many take this as verbatim.

These things belong in an open area well away from residences and back yards. Period.

CGr.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
hsukaria

The Apprentice is a great trainer. It can fly very slow if you want it to. And landing is very easy. I helped a friend with it and I was amazed how well it flew compared to the trainer I learned on, a Superstar 40. But first go to a local club and ask around for the instructors' recommendations. There might be somebody selling a used trainer real cheap.