RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can you recommend a plane for me?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 AM
jackle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you recommend a plane for me?

I am new to planes, but not new to RC. I have owned a Kyosho Concept 30 advanced helicopter, many 1/5 scale petrol offroad cars, and many nitro & electric rc cars. So, I have lots of experience, but not with planes. And do not think I am a good flier because I "owned" a heli. The helicopter experience was a complete disaster. The salesman at the hobby shop sold me an advanced model, saying i'd grow out of a "simpler" model too quickly. I trained and trained with great planes simulator, only to crash it every time I went out. Each crashed seemed to cost me over $100.00, sometimes much more. Finally, I gave up and sold it. Here is what I am looking for in an RC plane..

Budget $300.00 to be in the air.

I prefer "RTF" in this instance as I don't have a lot of spare time, but I do love to assemble. So, non RTF recommendations are ok too.

It must work in my backyard... I have a fairly large backyard in the country, my "yard" is about 3 acres (another 6 is wooded), but its all sloped. My driveway has a sttraightaway that is probably 100 yards. But then, it will need to climb relatively fast to get above the tree line. My entire property is covered by trees, but due to the "slope" of my land, I can see above the tree line. It would seem this might be ok to fly?

I am not interested in "3D" flying or anything advanced. I would llike to just fly around my yard, and above the tree line. I would like good range.

Must be electric.

I dont want something that is a complete beginner, pile of crap, I.E. i'm not looking for a "toy". It just doesn't need to be advanced. Perhaps something that can be modified to be more advanced down the road. Perhaps, such a thing doesnt even exist within my requirements, if this is the case le tme know that too.

Any advice? Am I crazy to think I can fly in my yard?