Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can I use Epoxy on A Foamie?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can I use Epoxy on A Foamie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use Epoxy on A Foamie?

Is Epoxy on Foamie OK?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
GRandolph

Default RE: Can I use Epoxy on A Foamie?

Yes! I broke my fuselage in half just behind the wings and glued it back together with 15 min epoxy. A few weeks later I broke it in half again. The joint that was epoxied held with the break being less than one inch away. I epoxied the second break and am still flying it.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: GRandolph

Yes! I broke my fuselage in half just behind the wings and glued it back together with 15 min epoxy. A few weeks later I broke it in half again. The joint that was epoxied held with the break being less than one inch away. I epoxied the second break and am still flying it.
Thanks

Old 09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Epoxy works good on foam, but use it sparingly. It can add noticeable amounts of weight and may impact flight performance on very lightweight planes.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Epoxy is fine, but, depending on what you want to use it for, there are other alternatives. Uhu POR is great for Foam and "QUICK GRIP" EPP Foam Adhesive is great for EPP.

Both are available at your favorite Arts and Crafts store or you can order it from here: http://www.lightflite.com/

CGr
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 AM
koastrc

Thanks CGR for the link. An old dog can learn new tricks. I had no idea about the glue or the web site. That is why I enjoy the beginners forum. I learn something new just about every trip. Only been flying these things for fifty or so years. Figure what makes this such a great hobby. The more things change the more they stay the same. That same is the constant learning experience.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM
CGRetired

Yeah... they also make some pretty interesting light weight planes. I have two of the original "Bugs" that are pretty cool, but are very light and can be a handful in anything more than a slight wind... better indoors and are very well suited for indoor flying.

CGr.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Mikecam

Many of us at the field use a hot glue gun. It's quick and works great, did I mention its quick.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Stick 40

micro balloons can help keep epoxy weight down, but read the warnings about them.

sticks
Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Many of us at the field use a hot glue gun. It's quick and works great, did I mention its quick.
The only problem with hot glue is that if you are not careful, it will melt the foam. Otherwise, I agree and generally use them to set my servos in place.

CGr
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Actually... I don't think my Flyzone FW109 has any foam left... I'm pretty sure it's a large block of 5 and 30 minute epoxy... flies great... Incidentally hitting tree's or buildings, any large obstacle really, no longer change the flight characteristics of that plane anymore.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 AM
Maddux99

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Epoxy works good on foam, but use it sparingly. It can add noticeable amounts of weight and may impact flight performance on very lightweight planes.

I agree with bem. I built a small 3dfoamie, the plans called for 11oz AUW. I built it exactly to plans with recommended equipment, except I used epoxy to attatch the wings to fuse and on the carbon spar in the wing and they only called for thin and medium foam safe ca throughtout the build. My plane came out just shy of 13 oz AUW and it definately affected flight performance. I was using that plane to learn 3d maneuvers on. Well, I certainly learned something, when using epoxy go sparingly!