Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help needed!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Cammington13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed!

Hi all,
Im new to the forums today, so if I've gone about doing anything the wrong way just let me know! Anyway, a little background information... I started flying helis 6 months ago, and can do decent 3D with a good collective pitch bird. I've recently aquired the airplane bug, and am now looking to buy my first plane. I can fly planes fairly well on the sim, so I don't need to start off on the most basic plane. I've done some research and I'm trying to decide between these two planes....

The UMX Beast 3D
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLU4850

The UMX Carbon Cub
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLU1180

Can someone please give me some advice? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Cam

Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 AM
bbbair

Default RE: Help needed!

Wow... that's quite the spread in aircraft!

The Cub is a good steady flier - it takes off, flies a circuit and lands. It is NOT an aerobatic plane by design.
The 'Beast' is a different breed... totally aerobatic!

IF this is truely you first Airplane... go with the Cub to learn how to fly, discover the joy of cross wind landings, ground loops, rolls and so on.

ONCE you have a firm grasp of a trainer then move on to more aerobatic airplanes... as you progress the planes will change - but to jump to a FULLY Aerobatic BEAST is ... dangerous.

Yours to discover.

Happy Landings.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM
bikerbc

Of the two aircraft you have selected the Carbon Cub if far better suited to helping you learn to fly...A high wing plane with a flat bottom wing is much easier to fly..I have not had any experience with the Beast but it is no way a beginer aircraft... but I have flowen the Carbon Cub and it is a fairly easy plane to master...That said I would encourage you to get an instructor and have him guide you thru your first few flights ..It could save you your plane also there are better trainers than the carbon Cub ...I dont know if you are hooked up with a club yet but sometimes clubs have trainer aircraft thet they use as loaners to teach students to fly with...You might be wize to check that out...Also the flight simulators are a fantastic aid to helping you learn to fly....Good luck...Keep us posted..
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Cammington13

Wow! What insightful and helpful responses! This place is awesome.Thank you guys.

I will be stopping by my LHSto get my first plane later today after work, so I still have some time to decide. The only reson I have chosen these two planes is because I have some prior experience, and didn't want to get bored after a week with the plane. With that said, I understand how the Beast 3D could be too big of a jump. The carbon cub looks like the prospect as of now, unlessthere another UMX plane from http://www.e-fliterc.com/ under $150 that you would recomend.

Again, thanks for being so supportive and helpful guys! RCUniverse is a great community!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a few go from heli to planes and they picked it up pretty quick. But like was said, the beast is a pretty big jump. On the other hand, the cub might not interest you for too long. A low wing might satisfy you aerobatic urges and be more stable. I usually recommend a .60 (or .40) sized ugly stick as a second plane. Very utilitarian and has a wide flight envelop. Any size in the 4-star series would also be good. I dont fly 3D so I cant recommend anything beyond that. I'm assuming here that you will want to go the 3D route. The three guys I've seen go from heli's to planes are all 3D flyers. At any rate, the first plane you get wont be the one you stick with. Most all of us have a beater to test equipment in.
Edwin
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
opjose

I'll second the Ugly Stik.

Your "second" ( first for you, but you'll be flying it like your second ) will take a LOT of abuse. More so than any plane you'll own.

Most Ugly Stiks are rugged, easy to repair, do well in the wind, are very aerobatic, WILL do 3D, great for Fun Flies, etc. etc. etc.

The GP Ugly Stik is covered in a basic Red, so repairs are doubly easy to hide since there are no complex covering schemes to deal with.

The plane lands easily too.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We were just talking about this today at the field. Heli pilots do seem to become much better fixed wing pilots and learn much faster. The Cub will put you to sleep pretty fast. The Heli pilot we were talking with is also an outstanding fixed wing pilot and was flying his really SMALL Cub again today. In his hands it is a stunt plane. The two you offered as a choice is a huge distance apart and there are a lot of in between choices, the stick is just one of them.
How about asking someone to buddy box there plane with you before you buy your own. I have my Hots fun fly plane set up on a box and let people give it a try just to see the difference between it and there more sedate planes. My Hots is set up on the really stupid side with 3-D control throws and a YS engine twice the size called for. It's an eye opener for most people. The Beast?? Probably not but the same for the cub. It won't take you long at all to be flying with the best of the pilots, you know what the left thumb is for better then most and have great reactions.
Ask if anyone will take you up with a box before you buy. You will probably be able to solo in one day with a bit of help.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Stick 40

I lean toward the .60 sized planes for learning to fly and progressing quickly. The size is easier to see and the wind does not effect them as much.

I would also suggest that if the worst happens , get the same high wing plane again. Its better to continue with the same handling plane.

good luck

sitcks