Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Eletric Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Eletric Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 AM
soready04
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Eletric Trainer

I am very new to the flying scene. I have been spending alot of time flying on the simulator (Phoenix). I am looking to buy a eletric air plane but not sure which would be a good plane. I have been looking at a few websites to get ideas. I am doing this on my own, because I live in Key West and don't know of any other people that fly down here. I would also like to know which will be a good radio also, because I want a decent radio that I can grow on after a while and be able to use with any plane/jet i get in the future.I am down to Futuba and Spektrum as far asradio, butnot sure or PRO's and CON's for the both of them.Here are a few of the planes that I have beening looking at.

http://www.bananahobby.com/parkflyer...5358-prd1.html

http://www.bananahobby.com/giant-j-3...5374-prd1.html

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First Eletric Trainer

DONOTbuy anything from Bananahobby!!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Chucksolo69

Neither of those planes is a tainer plane despite what the advertising copy says and are best suited for intermediate pilots. As a newbie you need to find a quality ARF or RTF plane from a company like Horizon Hobby or Tower Hobbies. Newbies like yourself need to buy from companies that have readily available replacement parts for when the inevitable crash occures. You will find Banana Hobby sorely lacking in customer support and replacement parts. I would recommend a Flyzone Sensei or E-Flight Apprentice if you have acess to a club or instructor who can buddy box with you. If not, and you plan to "go it alone," the following would be suitable:

Hobbyzone Super Cub PNP or BNF
Hobbyzone Champ RTF
Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos RTF
Ares Gamma 370 Rx-R
Multiplex EZ Star II Rx-R

Since you have narrowed your choices to Futaba and Spektrum for a quality radio, let me suggest the Spektrum DX6i. This radio is perfect for the beginner and can grow with you. It only has a 10 model memory, but when you reach that limit and want more, you can sell it and get a better one like the Spektrum DX7s or DX8. The only plane that can't use a Spektrum TX/RX combo in my list is the Firebird Stratos which comes with its own TX and can't be  bound to any other TX. The Champ is an RTF and comes with its own TX, but can be bound to almost any Spektrum TX. In any case, good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
soready04

Chuchsolo69,

Thanks for the information. I narrowed it between the two radios,because those are what I hear abouta lot of the times. Not to familiar with any of the other companies. I have seen mixed reviews about the ACT that the super club has to offer.Here are two more models form towerhobbies

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCMZR&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCKWY&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW2211&P=0

Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
opjose

soready04

I agree with Chuck.

Even the planes you've selected from Tower are not really good trainers, particularly for someone "going it alone".

What he suggested are better choices ( though I put the Cub at the bottom of the list of his suggestions ).

Don't get hung up on trying to find a plane that "looks good".

Instead you want something that will help train you and last through the inevitable first crashes.

Later once you've mastered many different aspects of flying RC planes, you can move on to scale looking planes with confidence.... though by that time you'll find your wants will change a lot!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Florida is one of the biggest RC states in the country and if you pull up the AMA web site you will find a club in your area. If you look in the stickys at the top of the beginners forum you will find some good info that Ken has taken the trouble to help beginners pick out a good trainer and help them get started in the hobby.
I'm a Futaba Person, I like the way they program better then other brands but where I fly JR/Spektrum is the #1 brand so if a student decides to buy one of the JRs I can't help them set up there planes as well as some of the other guys. I get the plane set up as well as I can then at the field I ask one or two others to help fine tune the plane before flight.
You picked out a couple of very nice planes but they really aren't that good as trainers. Most clubs have instructors that have a trainer and buddy box and would be happy to take you up and let you give it a try. Once you solo then the planes you have chosen would be fine for you.
With the simulators we have today they are a big help in the learning curve but they aren't the real world, a bit of help makes the learning curve happen a lot faster and will save you a pile of money.
I wouldn't bother buying any equipment until after you solo, then you will have a much better idea of what you should buy. Trying to sell used equipment is a big money looser so choose wisely, it will pay off in the long run.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my students want electric recommendations, I point them towards the apprentice 15e and the alpha 450, both at horizon hobbies. Better to stay away from the chinese distributors until you are more informed about the equipment. You really should find a club. It will save you lots of trouble.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

First off stay away from Banana Hobbies, Hobby King, Nitroplanes, etc.. for buying airplanes. You should stick with a reputable manufacturer and distributor who will stand behind what they sell and not give you the run around if you encounter problems or need parts. Buying planes from these places can be nothing but trouble especially for someone starting out
As far as planes, I would stay away from the Super Cub and the Champ as they are not the best for beginners in my experience. The Stratos is a decent plane and a good trainer but it too is limited and once you outgrow it the plane will sit.
I would suggest the Apprentice 15E from Horizon. The plane is larger and it might look a bit intimidating to you at first BUT this is a plane that will be there as your skills progress through beginner and up through intermediate. It's tough and take a beating and repairs easily and Horizon is a very good company . Also ,you won't get bored easily with it and being close to the water you can put floats on it too down the road! The Apprentice is on the Phoenix simulator too.
www.horizonhobby.com/products/apprentice-15e-rtf-with-dx5e-radio-EFL2725
www.horizonhobby.com/products/apprentice-15e-pnp-EFL2900
The Apprentice comes with a DX5 radio that is better than most radios in RTF packages and you can use it to fly another plane or two but eventually you would want to get a more advanced radio (as suggested) like a DX6 or DX 7. Once you have a better radio you can buy planes that are PNP (plug and Play) which means you have to supply the battery , charger,and receiver or BNF (Bind and Fly) which means the battery charger,and receiver comes with it.
It may be a bit more expensive at first compared to other planes but you will be further ahead by getting something that you can grow into.

Once you get into intermediate level , Parkzone has some nice planes like the T28 Trojan and Corsair , both of which are very nice flying planes and great intermediate next steps. Then after that you can move into balsa planes and really have some fun !
You will also want to look for some better support equipment once you get rolling like a better battery charger. The chargers that come with the RTF and BNF are OK but take awhile to charge lipos. You can get a decent charger for around $50.00 now.

Also if you haven't already, join a club and have an instructor take you up until you get take-offs and landinds down . The simulator helps a lot but having someone experienced there with you is the best and can save you an airplane .

Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Chucksolo69

The ACT on the Supe Cub can easily be disabled so that is not of primary concern. What is, is the fact that he has NO club or instructor to help him out. Since when are the Super Cub and Champ not suitable for beginners? In MY experience, they are second to none. I have all three and the Super Cub and Champ are about the easiest plane to fly available. He plans to go it alone and a 4 channel trainer really isn't the best suggestion here.

I have the Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale from Flyzone and trust me, it is NOT an appropriate trainer, and I suspect the Beaver isn't either. Just because they are high wing design doesn't make them suitable for a beginner. The Flyzone Cessna 182 is really an intermediate plane.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM
levram1

Do not buy any thing from BANANAHOBBY!!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM
flyinwalenda

The Super Cub and Champ are throw-away planes. They don't handle windy conditions well at all (Key West FL?). Yes he could "learn" on them but quickly outgrow them and the money spent could have been put towards a better , bigger plane that he can grow with.
Do yourself a favor , get a plane you can grow with and find a club , join it , and have them help you.
find.mapmuse.com/map/rc-airplane-clubs/27.9167,-83.6075,6

Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
tacx

+1 on the Apprentice. At $299.00 it is a great starter. Why? Because it is a 4 channel plane to begin with. Buy a 3 channel plane and you will be buying another plane shortly. The DX5e radio is not the best because it is not a computerized radio, BUT, it is still a good radio that can fly any plane that has a Spektrum RX. You can always upgrade, as you advance in the hobby, to a better radio. But the DX5e makes a great back up.

The pluses to the Apprentice is that it's large ( large planes are easier to fly) and it can do aerobatics that those smaller planes can't do.

I have advanced far beyond my Apprentice, but was never sorry I purchased it. It taught me well and I still have the DX5e radio that my grandson is now using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbMHQ_ea9xA
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM
soready04

Thanks guys for all the great info!! But only problem is I have no clubs near by. Closest is Miami and that is 3 hrs away. Been looking at this radio also, think it would be a great starter.

http://towerhobbies.com/products/futaba/futk8100m.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCGSD&P=ML
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: soready04

Thanks guys for all the great info!! But only problem is I have no clubs near by. Closest is Miami and that is 3 hrs away.

FLORIDA KEYS MODEL CLUB F.K.M.C
Flying Site Details
4348 8 JOSEPH ZIOMEK
Email Contact 101 MILANO DR
ISLAMORADA FL 33036
Phone: 305.664.1044

OSPREYS RC CLUB
Flying Site Details
1754 72 GEORGE CULLIN
Email Contact 684 DOLPHIN AVE
KEY LARGO FL 33037
Phone: 305-451-4814

And yes that's a great radio... it will stay with you for a long time.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heed what you read here. The advise given above is top notch and should be listened to. Buying the right equipment, the right trainer and getting the right training, you will enjoy the hobby and enjoy flying your new plane.

But striking out on your own, buying inferior equipment, and buying an airplane that "just looks good" will drive you out of the hobby faster than a speeding locomotive. If the plane is not a good trainer, you will be fighting it all the time just to keep it in the air. You can't relax and enjoy the flight. Buying cheap equipment will be frustating and expensive in the long run just from having to keep buying new equipment to replane the cheap stuff. (Hobby King, Banana Hobbies, Nitro Planes, etc)

I've enjoyed this hobby for over 50 years (55 to be exact). I've seen noobys come and go and it's usually because they bought the wrong plane and the cheap equipment. I also know a lot more that took the advice of the more experienced guys and are still enjoying the hobby today.

Frank
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: soready04

Thanks guys for all the great info!! But only problem is I have no clubs near by. Closest is Miami and that is 3 hrs away.

FLORIDA KEYS MODEL CLUB F.K.M.C
Flying Site Details
4348 8 JOSEPH ZIOMEK
Email Contact 101 MILANO DR
ISLAMORADA FL 33036
Phone: 305.664.1044

OSPREYS RC CLUB
Flying Site Details
1754 72 GEORGE CULLIN
Email Contact 684 DOLPHIN AVE
KEY LARGO FL 33037
Phone: 305-451-4814

And yes that's a great radio... it will stay with you for a long time.

Yes those are the ones that come up using 33040 as the zip code search.
Here is the AMA link :
www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Chucksolo69

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

The Super Cub and Champ are throw-away planes. They don't handle windy conditions well at all (Key West FL?). Yes he could "learn" on them but quickly outgrow them and the money spent could have been put towards a better , bigger plane that he can grow with.
Do yourself a favor , get a plane you can grow with and find a club , join it , and have them help you.
find.mapmuse.com/map/rc-airplane-clubs/27.9167,-83.6075,6

Same old tired refrain. My Super Cub is hardly a "throw-away" plane. Yours may have been. I fly mine in 15-20 MPH winds all the time here in SoCal. He already said the only club is 3 hrs away. We are trying to help him get in the air, giving him the same old tired refrain you're giving him will only turn him off on the hobby.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I realize this is likely moot now especially since the OP had singled out Banana Hobbies airplanes but I just want to add I really like the Sensei and have had three totally successful students now with that airplane. The first of which even participated with one in our cross country sprint event. A 1.8 mile rally, He placed second.

Have also flown the Apprentice but I like the Sensei a little better.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LW2207&P=RF

John
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 AM
F1roddo

Hi guys,

Don't mean to hijack anyones thread here, but I too am a newbie to flight, and have found this thread extremely helpful so far. I was originally looking at some of the Cessna 182's RTF from Bannana Hobbies, Nitroplanes and Hobbyking, but will now avoid them, thanks too the supplied information.
I like the Apprentice 15e plane, but intend to keep looking and reading any and all info that I can. I am no stranger to the RC world, I build and race the power boats powered by Zenoah and RCMK 2 stroke engines. Have to say that boats are my passion, but I have always wanted to have ago at flying fixed wing or as some would say, a plank.

Again my apologies to Soready04, I did not mean to interupt your thread, and I look forward to reading more post on this topic.

Kind Regards
Chris
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Chucksolo69

No problem Rodman, that's what these threads are for.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
soready04

Yea I agree with chuck, that why I asked the question, because I had no idea of where to start!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM
soready04

Ok guys I have narrowed it down to two planes!! They both are about the same but I guess the most popular rule comes in to affect here

FLYZONE SENSEI OR E FLIGHT APPRENTICE !
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Both are excellent choices and cut above many others. I have flown both, just flew two of the Sensei this morning with students one of which is on its second owner/student the prior having sold it as he moved on to other airplanes having successfully soloed with the Sensei.

I actually do prefer the Sensei.

John
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
soready04

@john thanks am really leaning towards the sensei!! Do tower have a lot of spare parts for it?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
flyinwalenda

I say good job doing research and reading and concluding these two will do the job and you are right !
I you are leaning toward the Sensei then I would go for it and Tower seems to have most parts in stock.
Good Luck !

www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.