RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Eletric Trainer
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: First Eletric Trainer

Florida is one of the biggest RC states in the country and if you pull up the AMA web site you will find a club in your area. If you look in the stickys at the top of the beginners forum you will find some good info that Ken has taken the trouble to help beginners pick out a good trainer and help them get started in the hobby.
I'm a Futaba Person, I like the way they program better then other brands but where I fly JR/Spektrum is the #1 brand so if a student decides to buy one of the JRs I can't help them set up there planes as well as some of the other guys. I get the plane set up as well as I can then at the field I ask one or two others to help fine tune the plane before flight.
You picked out a couple of very nice planes but they really aren't that good as trainers. Most clubs have instructors that have a trainer and buddy box and would be happy to take you up and let you give it a try. Once you solo then the planes you have chosen would be fine for you.
With the simulators we have today they are a big help in the learning curve but they aren't the real world, a bit of help makes the learning curve happen a lot faster and will save you a pile of money.
I wouldn't bother buying any equipment until after you solo, then you will have a much better idea of what you should buy. Trying to sell used equipment is a big money looser so choose wisely, it will pay off in the long run.