Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New RC Universe

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New RC Universe

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If there was a picture of me, it would look like a big stick in the mud! I can't say I like the new RCU, but then, I did not care much for the way the old RCU was acting. Oh well, roll with the punches and get over it I guess. At least there is a place I can go and feed my RC hunger.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
The programmers are working on the login issues.

As far as the "My Forums" go, please check again. Click on "My Forums" and it should bring up your settings with a listing of Subscribed threads with new posts, scroll down below that and you should see your "Subscribed Forums" listing

Ken
Super odd. The Home page shows me logged in. If I go to "Settings" first (without changing any info) and then select "My Forums" I get my subscribed threads. But if I try to go directly to "My Forums" from Bome it tells me I'm not signed in. And I still can't sign out so I still show signed in on the Settings page. On the Subscribed Forums header page I have dozens of little cartoon ballon icons randomly scatterred all over the page. See below.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1906240  
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Platinum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always go to make some updat so the product is better
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken I'm talking of the one in the pic. I can get to the subscriptions by clicking settings and them subscriptions, but there is a button for it right there.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
acerc

Also Ken, if you would, how do I get rid of the uploaded photos after I have posted. I don't need them stored here, they are already on my computer.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Also Ken, if you would, how do I get rid of the uploaded photos after I have posted. I don't need them stored here, they are already on my computer.
I'm not quite sure of what you are referring to here. How/where did you go to get to the screen in your picture??

Ken
Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken I'm talking of the one in the pic. I can get to the subscriptions by clicking settings and them subscriptions, but there is a button for it right there.
I'm sorry but I'm a bit slow today, I'm still not quite sure what the problem you are having here.

Ken
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
acerc

In the photo upload box there are two sections an upper and a lower. The pics are uploaded to the top section and dragged to the bottom section for placing in the thread comment. The pictures in the upper half stay there or are stored there. After posting numerous photos the upper section is going to be quite busy. Can they be removed.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM
acerc

In post #31 I added a pic. In post #33 I added another pic with text. Now I have two of the same pictures stored in that upload box.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not favor the 'Quick Navigation' box for moving around the site.....it aways defaults to the top of the list!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

In the photo upload box there are two sections an upper and a lower. The pics are uploaded to the top section and dragged to the bottom section for placing in the thread comment. The pictures in the upper half stay there or are stored there. After posting numerous photos the upper section is going to be quite busy. Can they be removed.
I've got to admit that I didn't even know that this tool existed!!! I've looked it over and I can see that it might be a very useful tool indeed. But I also agree with you that it can get filled up quickly. I can't find a way to delete out of there, so I've send a email to the IB staff about it. Hopefully I can catch them before their day is over today, otherwise it might be Monday before I get an answer back. But as soon as I get an answer I'll be sure to pass it on to you.

Ken
Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even know where to go here. Still wants me to logon on but click sigin and I'm logged in. Getting subscriptions and can't unsubscribe as a result of the previous condition. I really don't need more useless email added to the garbage I already get from the spammers.
Patience is getting thin for a site that needed a few bugs fixed and performance made consistent. I always love it when "upgrade the software" is the solution. Seems like there is perhaps a lack of expertise with the staff, unfortunately.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by 4*60
Don't even know where to go here. Still wants me to logon on but click sigin and I'm logged in. Getting subscriptions and can't unsubscribe as a result of the previous condition. I really don't need more useless email added to the garbage I already get from the spammers.
Patience is getting thin for a site that needed a few bugs fixed and performance made consistent. I always love it when "upgrade the software" is the solution. Seems like there is perhaps a lack of expertise with the staff, unfortunately.
Internet brands has over 500 online communities under their belt running the vBulletin software. In fact, they own vBulletin. However, RCU is one of the largest sites that they have purchased and because of the complexity of what RCU was it's giving them unique challenges in this upgrade process. The previous RCU discussion forum software was a very HIGHLY customized piece of software spanning many different servers and different operating systems. Migrating the forums over to vBulletin and maintaining all post, images, and anything else uploaded to RCU over the last 12 years is a huge task that is going to have problems.

I have to deal with the same bug and problems that everybody else faces, and probably more so because of the amount of ground I have to cover here on RCU. So I feel your pain, believe me I do. But I've watched the IB staff working very hard to get all the bugs worked out as fast as they can. I know that they will get everything running and before too long all of this will be just a memory.

Unfortunately IB really had to take the actions that they did. The company the produced the software that RCU's forums ran on went out of business years ago. One of the previous owners of RCU maintained the software and make custom patches and upgrades to it as we went along. But getting any support from the vendor was impossible because they were out of business. When RCU was sold Internet Brands really had no choice but to move us to vBulletin because of the situation of having no support from a company out of business. It's been a rough road for them to get us upgraded, but it is happening and I truly believe that we do see light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

Ken
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Thanks.
It just kind of reminds me of a conversion project where one of the small teams converted just over a dozen vendors to the new....and thought, and announced to senior management that they were 99% done. I laughed and 4 months later they were still struggling. Anyway, hope it's not so!

Last edited by 4*60; 08-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:35 PM
acerc

Sounds good on the photo thing Ken. As many photos we post doing a build thread it would only take a day or two and there would be way too many pics there.

As for me, the initial shock of so much change is wearing off. And with the learning of much of the new navigation routes the site is becoming better. But I still don't like it being like most every other site in appearance and format. I'm sure that will change in time.

I would also like to give a very big "Thank's " to all the managers, moderators, and or administrators for their patience, support, and help!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Guys - like anything new, it takes some time to get used to the changes. I understand and accept the reasoning behind the software change. If the software is obsolete, well, how can anyone fix problems. Thus the reason for the change.

Please, be patient, and play with the options offered. At some point, it will become second nature.

John - I am using Google Chrome. I have not tried IE with the new RCU yet.. I do have it installed on this computer, but it's such a pain in the butt, I just don't use it. I simply hit the enter key and I get a new line.

CGr.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 AM
acerc

I use IE and had to change the message editor interface to standard to get my enter key to work.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
drube

Originally Posted by RCKen

As far as the "My Forums" go, please check again. Click on "My Forums" and it should bring up your settings with a listing of Subscribed threads with new posts, scroll down below that and you should see your "Subscribed Forums" listing

Ken
We used to be able to go to "My Forums" then click on "New Posts" and it would bring up only New Posts from our subscribed forums. Now it brings up ALL new posts from all of RCU including cars,trucks and boats. Shouldn't have to weed through the unwanted threads.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Hi, I'm glad ...changes are good for the most part, but I've been using Smart Viera on my TV (Panasonic) and use to be able to log in,
lately not only I wasn't able to log in anymore due to "able your cookies" warning (on the TV there's no such option
now I cant even view the pictures, which previously I could... bummer
But hey, at least RCU is trying something new! kudos
V.

Last edited by vasek; 08-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM
kwblake

Yipeeeeee!!!!!!! For me, "My Forums" is now fixed. No other issues. Life is good.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Other than that I cannot use My Forums it's not so bad. Trying that I show as not logged in, but when I try and log in it takes me to my profile - which shows me as logged in and won't allow me to log out (404 error). Catch 22.

So I have to poke through all forums to be able to post. Does the same thing from work (Windows XP) or home (Windows Vista).

Hey...we need some help here. Please give instructions that work.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM
skyraider71

I can't find my old posts. I enjoyed looking at my old posts to check for replies.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Ken, CGR and Jim B. althought still no Joy on pics so far for some magical reason just this afternoon I found I can now use the 'Enter Button' and it once agine makes nice Purdy little ol' paragraphs

John
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They must be making progress. I couldn't post since the new site went up. I couldn't make a paragraph for the first three days, then I could.

But it wouldn't post. So they are getting it together. Hopefully they are getting good input on the problems and have the resources to fix them.

Last edited by HighPlains; 08-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like your new forum.

I have no problem with either my desk top with Win8, my laptop with Win7 or my desktop with Ubuntu. Now, I'm using Mozilla Firefox as a browser on all of them.
All functions seem to work flawlessly. Congradulation, your dedication and hard work is appreciated. I do not think most of the readers realize the amount of effort and time is put into keeping a forum operating well. Rodney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.