Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What Next After the Hobbyzone Champ?? Getting Into Flying....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What Next After the Hobbyzone Champ?? Getting Into Flying....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Stormrider51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That might be a good step up from the Champ. As I mentioned before, I've heard mixed opinions on the SAFE technology but don't have any real experience myself. I did however pick up a UMX Carbon Cub with AS3X. That little plane has a wingspan only about 4" greater than the Champ but comes with ailerons and flaps. It also has a much stronger motor and flies in moderate winds surprisingly well. The wings have no dihedral. It has become my favorite plane. The AS3X gives a sense of stability that I didn't expect in from a micro. Should work well in the DeltaRay too.

Storm
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody else have any input re the Deltaray?..
Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 AM
HerrSavage

I'm leaning heavily now towards the Deltaray, but have also found a killer deal on a new Parkzone P-47(would probably be my first Warbird choice anyway, since the P-47 is a fave WWII plane of mine...) The P-47 would just sit over the winter til I got a decent radio together, etc.. The question is, is that a sensible progression - Champ to Deltaray to P-47, or is the gap between Deltaray and P-47 too big, so that I'd be better off getting a more traditional trainer instead?...
Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 AM
HerrSavage

Trigger pulled..

Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 AM
motorhead540

well so tell use how do you like the delta ray ?? I know several guys I my local club have got them for their kids as first planes and love them . they say you can literally teach a newbie to fly in a few hours with one using the anti crash technology and the docile control settings
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM
buzzard bait

Man, I REALLY like that Wildcat! I guess I agree that you should have an aileron trainer of some kind first, but I looked up a review and I think this would be one of the easiest warbirds to fly. It's light, it has dihedral with a shoulder wing, plenty of wing, you can slow it down and it will keep flying...don't wait too long to get it!

Jim
Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 AM
dykykdtyjian

So I recently bought a Hobbyzone Champ, and well
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 AM
HerrSavage

The Delta Ray is a REALLY good first "real"(i.e. 4 channel) plane.. Very easy to fly, great hand-launcher and belly-lander. I recently crashed (my dumb fault - got disoriented looking into the sun, while flying low and fast-ish...) and broke the nose off, but it glued right back on.. Overall this plane is highly recommendable for a starter IMVHO... I'd definitely buy it again.., and recommend it wholeheartedly.

I've gotten to where I can do loops and rolls and stuff - great fun..
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM
eiutian

And what about a radio?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 PM
HerrSavage

I got a Taranis.. Complicated, but meant to be extremely capable for the money.... I've fiddled with it a bit - so far it seems pretty cool...

Check out Aloft Hobbies...

ps The Delta Ray was RTF with a DX4 I think.. I got the Taranis for my next planes - a Parkzone P-47 and an AXN Floater Jet...

Last edited by HerrSavage; 11-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM
HerrSavage

On what?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 PM
astepup

I've been following this thread with interest as I too am looking to take the next step up in both airplane and Tx. I currently have the Apprentice S 15e that I can now fly on the "intermediate" setting, and haven't had to use the "Oh NO!" switch yet I'm looking at various models and manufacturers but the biggest and hardest decision I'm facing is radio choice. I have no complaints with the Spektrum Dx5 that came with the Apprentice but after reading many threads I'm just not sold on them in general. I also think as Herr Savage does, that some warbird foamies will probably be the extent that I go to for the immediate future. Not to "hijack" this thread in any way, but do any of the respondents have insight as to the Tactic line of Tx's/rx's? I've read great reviews about the ttx 650 and am leaning toward this as my main choice.

BTW that DeltaRay is a pretty cool looking plane!!

Last edited by astepup; 11-28-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 11-29-2013, 01:47 AM
HerrSavage

I was really tempted by the Tactic 650!.. Nice looks, price, and reputation.. In the end I decided for the Taranis, based mostly on some pretty persuasive posts early on, arguing that when starting out you should get as much radio as you can afford.. And apparently the Taranis has loads more functionality etc than big-name radios that cost two and three times as much..

Nevertheless, I'm not sure I made the right call. Most Taranis discussions are total Chinese to me.. So we'll see if I can ever manage to use the dxxx thing. I was keen on voice output though - understood as an unnecessary gimmick I admit. Still, I like the idea of voice timing reminders, etc.. The only other real option with voice would have been a DX9, at like double the price..

Anyway, the Tactic still looks like an awesome deal with the two receivers, and I'm still not sure I made the right call in getting the Taranis instead.. Almost seems like it's more for people who are more into programming mega complex set-ups for its own sake instead of actually just going out and flying....
Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

My personal choice is the hobby zone super cub.

I learned on it ( original version) still fly it to this day. Converted it to brushless. Great plane. Miss reliable.

George
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally recommend the UM T-28 as it meets the needs of a lot of folks. The Delta Ray is pretty good too though!

Here is a break-down of what I recommend from someone that has been there not too long ago and still remembers: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...-flight-8.html

GB
Old 12-23-2013, 07:39 AM
HerrSavage

Well about two months ago I crashed up the Delta Ray pretty badly. I found this place that I thought was really cool for flyng - basically a big sports field surrounded by large berms. You could fly beneath you if you stood on top of the rim. Anyway, I think places like this get weird wind effects, resulting in this for ex.:

So I glued it back together on the spot..:

And finally had the time and weather today to go test it - and it flew great!! I was getting more and more back into my cars, but having flown the DR today three times, and bringing it home in one piece was good fun. The psychology of flying is so different from that of cars... Crash your car and it's like "Oh fxxx.. Oh well.." and you take it home and repair the broken A-arm or whatever. With planes it's far more shattering - both literally and psychologically..