Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Chuck: That sounds like a heck of an adventure to me!

Hawk131: I[/b]am excited to see how much more I grow during this flying season. I grew a ton last summer, so with the new tools at hand, it should be great this time around![/b]

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

GB I realize I'm a nobody but you have impressed me quite a bit. Takes a big man to admit when he was wrong. I was a little hasty in my posts as well. I do t remember if I mentioned this but the hardest student I had was an old 2 channel glider pilot. Teaching him throttle and ailerons was tough he had to unlearn years of flying and relearn.
This is one reason I am so against self teaching you can learn bad habits.
Anyway good luck to you and have a blast.
Thank you very much for saying that. I sincerely appreciate it

It makes complete sense now where you and some of the others were coming from. Trying to help people when they had hurt themselves prior would annoy the crap out of me too. I am really glad I steered clear of the 2-channel planes/heli's as well. I had a 3-channel heli a couple of years ago and I noticed it messing me up while I was flying my 4-channel (it was creating bad habits etc), so I ended up just giving it to my brother so I could continue to advance with my heli's and planes.

GB

Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

There all toys silly rabbit...

Bob
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully the foam dust has settled a bit.

Back to the original poster - I wouldn't recommend any of the Ultra Micro scale models for a second plane coming off a Champ. Certainly not as a first plane. I own a Flyzone F-86 and an e-Flite UMX Beast - love them both. Will be getting thelitle16" T-28 soon. (Have a mini float-plane concept in mind). The F-86 is a handful at a full sized field. A blast to fly, but it's wild. I had to do some chopping and adjusting that was brain-surgery with delicate and tiny components that are impossible to get to before it flew to my satisfaction. The Beast (and Carbon Cub) are wonderful flying models and do have the potential for flying slow - but they are incredibly delicate. They do not tolerate abuse well. Collide with anything when taxiing or landing and it is toast. You can fold the tails by blowing hard on them. The first Carbon Cub I had seen had the empennagebroken when a breeze blew it off a picnic table before it ever flew. Sure, drop a 10 lb model off a picnic table and it will suffer - but likely a light breeze won't cause it- and our club doesn't allow fueled airctaft on the picnic tables. ;-)

I would recommend the next size up T-28 as a second plane - the 44" wingspan model. We have a couple of these in our club and that absorb abuse MUCH better. Sweet fliers as well. One of our member hotted his up and actually pulled the wings off in flight - but he is merciless and was doing high G/ high speed snaps generally wild stuff. It is still flying with Nyon reinforced tape and foam CA holding it together. Also the Multiplex Mentor - they seem rugged and fly well.

I'm about as fuddy-duddy as they come: 8-track tapes playing and two channel gliders when I started R/C. But I enjoy flying the little guys in my yard. They have opened a lot more flying opportunities for me. I enjoy the 15" Beast 3D AS3X more than my 43" .46 Seagull Ultimate or 43cc 65" GP Ultimate biplanes - largely because I can grab the plane, fly, put it away in 15 minutes rather than make an excursion to the field. And the darned thing flies as well! (MUCH better than the Seagull).

It's all good.

But until your thumbs get smart it helps to have a design that meets you halfway and might even wait while you catch up. Trainers are called "trainers" for a reason.Even the self-teachable will benefit from having an experienced pilotset-up the Tx and especially take the first trim flight. My little F-86 was horrible and tail-heavy using the recommended settingsand with the "factory"unadjustable throws.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Chucksolo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Back to the original poster - I wouldn't recommend any of the Ultra Micro scale models for a second plane coming off a Champ. Certainly not as a first plane. I own a Flyzone F-86 and an e-Flite UMX Beast - love them both. Will be getting thelitle16" T-28 soon. (Have a mini float-plane concept in mind). The F-86 is a handful at a full sized field. A blast to fly, but it's wild. I had to do some chopping and adjusting that was brain-surgery with delicate and tiny components that are impossible to get to before it flew to my satisfaction. The Beast (and Carbon Cub) are wonderful flying models and do have the potential for flying slow - but they are incredibly delicate. They do not tolerate abuse well. Collide with anything when taxiing or landing and it is toast. You can fold the tails by blowing hard on them. The first Carbon Cub I had seen had the empennagebroken when a breeze blew it off a picnic table before it ever flew. Sure, drop a 10 lb model off a picnic table and it will suffer - but likely a light breeze won't cause it- and our club doesn't allow fueled airctaft on the picnic tables. ;-)

I would recommend the next size up T-28 as a second plane - the 44" wingspan model. We have a couple of these in our club and that absorb abuse MUCH better. Sweet fliers as well. One of our member hotted his up and actually pulled the wings off in flight - but he is merciless and was doing high G/ high speed snaps generally wild stuff. It is still flying with Nyon reinforced tape and foam CA holding it together. Also the Multiplex Mentor - they seem rugged and fly well.

I'm about as fuddy-duddy as they come: 8-track tapes playing and two channel gliders when I started R/C. But I enjoy flying the little guys in my yard. They have opened a lot more flying opportunities for me. I enjoy the 15" Beast 3D AS3X more than my 43" .46 Seagull Ultimate or 43cc 65" GP Ultimate biplanes - largely because I can grab the plane, fly, put it away in 15 minutes rather than make an excursion to the field. And the darned thing flies as well! (MUCH better than the Seagull).

It's all good.

But until your thumbs get smart it helps to have a design that meets you halfway and might even wait while you catch up. Trainers are called "trainers" for a reason.Even the self-teachable will benefit from having an experienced pilotset-up the Tx and especially take the first trim flight. My little F-86 was horrible and tail-heavy using the recommended settingsand with the "factory"unadjustable throws.
I'm not sure If I would recommend the 44" T-28 to someone coming off a Champ. I would probably steer them toward the HZ Super Cub, Ares Gamma 370 Pro or the new HZ Glasair Sportsman (4 channel). It appears that HH has discontinued the Apprentice so can't recommend that one. Another good highwing trainer is the 4 channel Flyzone Sensei. These would help him progress a little better I think. The PZ T-28 Trojan is a warbird and flies like one. And as always, recommend getting a mentor or clubinstructor to assist.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

There are many good reliable methods to teach and models to select from. Needs, costs and availability determine the choice. In my experience I have found if possible find an instructor preferably a club as well. The advantage of an instructor is obvious the benefits of belonging to a club are the social aspects and resources of the many experienced members. Hand in hand we have found more students remain and grow within the hobby in this type of environment. When you decide on a club/instructor ask what their preferred trainer is. The learning curve and success rate using familiar and proven equipment will be much faster.

Unfortunately there are instances where this may not be available. The only plane I have flown that fits the bill as a learn alone trainer that will teach all four basic controls and still remain durable enough to take the beating of the self taught is the Apprentice. I admit I have not flown all the ones available but this one sure fits the bill. It also popular enough there seem to be no lack of replacement parts.

The two clubs I belong to have a wings program in place for training and it walks the student and instructor through the program together. The student has definite goals and as he is signed off on each step he can judge his progress. A different instructor will know by the sign off where the student stands within the program allowing a continuity of the training program. Once the student completes the program he’s a pretty competent basic flyer.

Init. Date

1. Transmitter impound procedure.

Field rules
Range check
Pre-flight check
Start and set engine
Ground Taxi

2. Maintain altitude in the air while performing straight flight and gentle left & right turns for a minimum of two minutes unassisted.

3. Fly figure 8’s in both directions while maintaining altitude.

4. Use of throttle while maintaining direction and control within the speed envelope of the airplane

5. Demonstrate use of trims to correct out of trim aircraft.

6. Simulated landing patterns left and right down to a 50 ft altitude.

7. Unassisted take-offs.

8. Progressive landing patterns to ground level in both directions until an acceptable landing.

9. Simulated engine failure procedures.

Wings Test (unassisted)
1. Take-off.
2. Fly figure eights in both directions while maintaining altitude.
3. Land on active runway with both left and right hand patterns.

4. Dead stick landing (simulated engine at idle)

Instructor #1: _________________________ Date: ____________

Instructor#2: __________________________ Date: ____________

Airplane Check

1. Wings -warps
-center re-enforcement
-proper attachment
-hinges
-covering
-control horns

2. Fuselage -alignment
-rudder and stabilizer attachment
-engine area fuel proofing
-radio installation
-pushrod installation
-hinges
-control horns
-landing gear operation
-covering

3. Engine -proper alignment (no left thrust)
-fuel tank installation (foam packing)
-check operation of throttle linkage
-check propeller retaining nut

4. Overall Aircraft -check center of gravity
-overall alignment of wings to tail

5. Range Check -as per instructions of radio in use.

It is good practice when inspecting an aircraft prior to a maiden flight to check that the hinging is properly secured by tugging on all control surfaces, make sure screws in servo arms are secure and clevises have some sort of retention system to avoid them from becoming disengaged. Also double check all the control surfaces to make sure they are moving in the proper directions

Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Rkestes

^^^^^ Alrighty then^^^^^

"1. Transmitter Impound procedure."
Left over from the 72 Mhz days I suppose.

My full scale check ride wasn't as involved as that.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Propworn

ORIGINAL: Rkestes

My full scale check ride wasn't as involved as that.

Like sure there fella where did you learn to fly Iranian Airways? Where the motto is takeoffs are mandatory, landings are considered a miss. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Propworn

ORIGINAL: Rkestes

''1. Transmitter Impound procedure.''
Left over from the 72 Mhz days I suppose.
72 is still in use both sides of the border so understanding an impound proceedure is manditory same as navigation in the full size without electronic aids.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Propworn

I guess in Canada we are a little more proactive in assuring a pilot is well trained and not just turned loose on the field because he can yank the plane into the sky and sometimes put it back on the landing strip in one piece. We don’t want to loose our first party insurance coverage. We pay $75 a year to belong to MAAC which is the equivalent to your AMA. This $75 gives each member 5 million dollars first payer liability coverage in the event of an incident. Your home policy does not pay or penalize you for any claims it’s completely a stand alone policy. It also covers the land owner for the same amount if they were to be sued. This alone makes it so much easier to acquire new model airfields. If it takes a little more effort to retain this benefit its well worth the extra training. In the US your AMA only pays out once all of your personal insurance has been accessed. I would bet your next years premiums would reflect this if ever there was a claim. I have flown at many US fields that have even stricter beginners programs than this just to keep what they have. What ever works is good it’s great the parent organizations leaves the individual clubs to assess the level of competence considered acceptable. I certainly would not want them to dictate minimum standards would you? If we get careless they just might.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i think if you would join a club and get a 40 or so size trainer you would fly a lot better> chec the clubs out
Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 PM
[email protected]

i think everyone who flys planes knows what toy planes are> i would not waste my money on them if you really want to fly go to a field and ask and look at the planes there
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 PM
GBLynden

It's all good.

I feel that it absolutely has and all of us have learned from the dialog in this thread, especially me.

This is an interesting take on the topic, in a good way.

In other news, I am strongly considering getting a UMX Beast3D as well as the Mig after the first big price drop for each. I am pleased to have some 2S batteries and a charge that I can use for both options in my hanger. That was the hold up for a while.

I bought this the other day and I am incredably pumped about it, though it is definently NOT a beginner plane:
http://youtu.be/eknIRVakrLg

GB

Old 05-27-2013, 12:57 PM
[email protected]

do you really call the foams a airplane wall mart sells them also toys toys
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I call anything that is a miniature of a real airplane that someone uses or flies for amusement a "toy". $50 or $5,000 . . . it's a toy, guys.

My giant scale IMAA models are toys. No other function than my amusement. No more dangerous a toy than someone with a full size Corvette or Harley - also toys.

"Old boys have their playthings as well as young ones; the difference is only in the price." - - Ben Franklin
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Boys never grow up, their toys just get more expensive" - unknown.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 AM
koastrc

Had a dude call the other day about getting back into flying with us. He had been flying a full size Cub. A full size Cub. What a great air plane. Fly around in one of those things and have a pretty good time. Now we have got keep in mind the Cub is not that great for travel. It is not that fast and really not very comfortable to sit in. It does putt about the sky and make noise. The point is it like so many small full size planes. They are hobby planes and have one basic function. Something to pass time with. Not much different than a model air plane. Just cost more and is more of a problem to find a place to put it when you are not buzzing about.
Our friend sold his Cub and now is coming back to models. Perhaps we can find still more ways to say what a toy is. Many of us know about the two happy days in full size aircraft ownership. The day you buy the thing is one happy day and the day you sell it is the the second happy day. Not real sure which one is the happiest day.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Propworn

The two clubs I belong to have a wings program in place for training and it walks the student and instructor through the program together. The student has definite goals and as he is signed off on each step he can judge his progress. A different instructor will know by the sign off where the student stands within the program allowing a continuity of the training program. Once the student completes the program he’s a pretty competent basic flyer.
Bravo!

That is what we do as well.

It's too bad that many clubs do not do the same.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 AM
GBLynden

I call anything that is a miniature of a real airplane that someone uses or flies for amusement a "toy". $50 or $5,000 . . . it's a toy, guys.

My giant scale IMAA models are toys. No other function than my amusement. No more dangerous a toy than someone with a full size Corvette or Harley - also toys.

"Old boys have their playthings as well as young ones; the difference is only in the price." - - Ben Franklin
I love my toys!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 PM
GBLynden

ORIGINAL: GBLynden

I love my toys!

I still stand by this and I hope all of you are having a great summer so far!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 AM
GBLynden

Ok so I just came across this video that seems to fit well in this thread. Those that like the idea of building on the cheap should have a look at this. This guy does a great job giving the general framework and thinking behind making your own plane for very little money.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/jv3D30RGT-g

PS: Some of you more experienced guys have likely seen this clip as it has over a million views. That is certainly a lot of views for an RC plane video on YouTube.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 PM
GBLynden

So I just maidened a new plane tonight and it seems as though it may make a great third of fourth plane even though it is and EDF jet. This is my most magical maiden to date due to the special guests that showed up to help me find my way through the sky
http://youtu.be/2GifZaRx-v0
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done a lot electric, including training but if you have a club that can handle it this is still a good way to go...$249

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m2-rtf-HAN4400
Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by 4*60
I've done a lot electric, including training but if you have a club that can handle it this is still a good way to go...$249

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m2-rtf-HAN4400
That does look like a solid plane and it appears to be on clearance right now. $199 isn't too shabby if you have the space and instructors for sure
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM
GBLynden

Here is an example of what one can aspire to build and fly. This plane is not very attractive, but as you can see in the video, it flies extremely well. The guy who made it said that he made it with a bunch of random parts and pieces.

The result speaks for itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2UrVLNPSFg
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM
GBLynden

Bump for the impending new bunch of folks that will join the RC ranks to get a taste for a variety of approaches to this hobby.

I would also like to add a decent option for a third or fourth plane that I just got. Here is video of this plane taking off and landing in soft, muddy grass with stock landing gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkhZxpdhXlY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.