Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which plane?!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which plane?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed CC either airplane will do the job and the two rivals are very good choices for many folks. Heck you did not note what part of Arizona you are in but Yall ever get up north here in Kingman I could make sure you get some stick time in both and we use only cordless buddy systems. Actually would be glad to get you some stick time on Senior Cadet 80 inch with small glow power .35AX.

The Sensei for electric and the Senior Cadet for glow remains our most popular and successful trainers especially in use with cordless buddy systems. Actually I just let two loose last weedend on floats one using a Senior Cadet and the other a LT-40 Cadet, both with .55AX.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-21-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would listen to John . He has many years of experience both flying and teaching new pilots . He knows what he is talking about .
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM
digger12002

I would suggest that you might want to try the Parkzone Visionaire. I have one and it is very easy to fly, has stabilization that helps with the wind, is ultra manuverable if you go to the high rates, but is very gently at the low rates. The plane has enough power to power you out of bad situations and lands at low speeds very well. It is not a beginner plane, but if you want to learn to fly ailerons and think that you might want to try a little 3d someday, the Visionaire is a great choice.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 PM
CC268

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Indeed CC either airplane will do the job and the two rivals are very good choices for many folks. Heck you did not note what part of Arizona you are in but Yall ever get up north here in Kingman I could make sure you get some stick time in both and we use only cordless buddy systems. Actually would be glad to get you some stick time on Senior Cadet 80 inch with small glow power .35AX.

The Sensei for electric and the Senior Cadet for glow remains our most popular and successful trainers especially in use with cordless buddy systems. Actually I just let two loose last weedend on floats one using a Senior Cadet and the other a LT-40 Cadet, both with .55AX.

John
Well I put one of those Apprentice's on hold for me to pick up next weekend in Phoenix! If they have a Sensei when I go to pick up the Apprentice maybe I will change my mind! I go to college up at NAU in Flagstaff so I am not far from you! I actually go coyote hunting in Seligman quite often, not too far from Kingman.

Just watched like a 20 minute video on YouTube from FliteTest on the Apprentice and the SAFE technology looks awesome for someone like me getting back into the rc plane hobby.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by CC268
Interesting...I can get the Apprentice at a hobby shop here in town for $290...I will have to call about the Sensei.

I know based on these videos it looks like the Apprentice or Sensei are the way to go for someone like me.
The Apprentice is RTF so it comes with a transmitter, see if your Hobby shop will do a deal and upgrade the included DX5e to a DX6i or the new DX6 when it is released.

There is nothing wrong with the DX5e but it has no model memories and is very basic. It will limit you when you progress and buy more aircraft.

A DX6i (or DX6) has more precise sticks, enough features to grow with you. It will cost more initially but will save you money long term.

The better sticks alone will greatly improve your enjoyment flying anything over using a DX5e.

I read the apprentice manual here and page 23 shows you how to set up optional radios so no issue there.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL3100-Manual_EN.pdf
Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 PM
CC268

I can ask...keep in mind I am a college student. To give some background on this...I am actually a Mechanical Engineering student and I am going to be doing the SAE AERO competition for my Senior Capstone Project. For this competition we actually build our own RC plane from the ground up (although we buy an off the shelf electric motor and battery) and compete against other Universities from all around the world. I think this plane will actually help me and my team out when it comes to general prototyping, design, and benchmarking. My mom agreed to buy me a plane to help with this, so how much I can spend is up to her not me!

I totally understand and realize that if I get more into the hobby itself that it will be a good idea to pick up the DX6i. At this point though I think that is stretching the budget.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
psb667

if you have any building skills try the gws estarter.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=CC268;11742693Mechanical to be doing the SAE AERO competition for my Senior Capstone Project. [/QUOTE]

Hmm so ya wanna build a weight lifter eh, here is one of my past experiments this airplane empty weight 6.7 pounds engine OS 65AX Payload 8.0 pounds of deadweight sandbags taped above and below the center section.

I once flew a forty sized trainer from our club field the seventy five miles to Seligman. Here is a link to our club website and I meant what I said about having you check out the airplanes and flying them before you buy anything.

John

http://kingmanmodelers.net/

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior kaydet Catalina Wing B (24).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1970993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior kaydet Catalina Wing B (21).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1970996  
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 PM
CC268

That's awesome! This is the first year they went to electric for the competition. Anyways, I have done a lot of research and hours of video watching and I think that Apprentice will be a good trainer plane for me.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 PM
JPerrone

I bought the Dx5E for use with a BNF plane; works great. If you are only going to have one plane; there's not a lot of reason to get the Dx6i. I thought I was only going to have the one plane in my fleet that plan didn't last too long!!! Re-binding each time can be done but it's annoying; so I have ordered a Dx6i.

This is what most of the other contributors are alluding; if you stay in it, you'll eventually want something that allows you to store multiple models, and the cost to have both is pretty high compared to the cost of just the higher end unit.

Having said that, I don't think I made a mistake as
1) I can use the DX5e for student box, the DX6i as master, to buddy box my son;
2) We can both fly at the same time when he has progressed
3) The Dx5e can be my back-up in the even the 6 is down for some reason (very unlikely...)

Regards
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I would get a dx6 then figure out the plane. VERY few of the micro bnf planes fly well without a little exponential.. I could fly my micro t28 inverted 5" of the ground with a bit of expo. With the stock transmitter it was too docile on low rate and too spastic on high... Get a decent transmitter. Also a trick on the little pos transmitters. Glue on a 1-2 inch extension onto the stick. Longer stick equals more thumb movement for the same control deflection makes it a bit less spastic if you jack up the throws. A scrap of the right sized brass tubing works good....
Old 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM
CC268

Thanks for the help guys. Looks forward to trying out the Apprentice.

Last edited by CC268; 02-22-2014 at 05:15 PM.