Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

bi-plane and gyro

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

bi-plane and gyro

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 PM
bignuggets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bi-plane and gyro

I finally fixed my Eagle A3 Super gyro problem on my Parkzone se5a. Due to the crappy weather in my part of the country I have yet to fly this plane with a gyro installed. I live in Eureka, Ca and the winds here are rarely below 5 mph and often gust up to 10 mph or more in various directions. I do have the Eagle A3 pro SE installed on my YAK 55 foamy and I wouldn't ever think of flying it without the gyro turned on. It is a pleasure to fly. Flying my se5a has always been a white knuckle affair. Hopefully this gyro will smooth things out a bit. A couple of other forums I have posted on question my use for a gyro on this se5a (or any bi-plane for that matter) without any additional commentary. Before I fly it, anyone care to respond? Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are you seeking affirmation if it is what you want to do?

Not really necessary. I have flown my Parkzone SE5a in 10 mph winds and it flies like a mid-size foam biplane. Like any WWII biplane it likes to have throttle when landing and lots of rudder and elevator work on the taxi and ground handling.

A three-axis or six-axis accelerometer (bet you $1 there are no gyroscopes in your unit) will help with stability; but if the gains are wrong it will fight you as much as help you.

I have the AS3X in my Carbon Z Cub and when trying to do certain maneuvers I'd rather it was gone. I like to do things lile pull up and throttle down and tailslide for a ways. The accelerometers don't seem to like that. But it does make the plane easy to fly in commercial airliner type maneuvers.

My little 15" 30mm EDF Sabre has no accelerometers and it handles the wind amazingly well. 35 mph feels like 150 mph with that little bugger.

I have the same AS3X in my little 1-1/2 oz UMX Radian and it truly does make that little bugger much more solid in the wind. But the SE5a weighs 28 time as much and really doesn't need the feature.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 09-05-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much what Charlie said. Our average wind speed at my field is 17mph and these small bipes are flown here a lot and none of them have a gyro. I only flew one bipe with a gyro, a giant scale fleet and the gyro was on the rudder so it was easier for the owner to take off and land. I didn't care for it at all, it tended to fight you. It was on a switch so it could be shut off during flight.
I question why a bipe would need one any more then any other plane?